U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:50 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,937,490 times

Advertisements

Bernanke endorses more stimulus for weak economy - USATODAY.com

Are you fooking kidding me?!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 10:53 AM

9,324 posts, read 24,694,936 times
That's it, just keep pumping and wait for the system to explode. How can we get rid of this dysfunctional system for good?

Old 10-20-2008, 10:55 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,206,604 times
They're terrified that people may actually use some common sense and not spend horrific amounts of money on Christmas this year. So the government will finance it instead. Unbelievable.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:15 AM

76 posts, read 215,066 times
I highly doubt a stimulus package will do much of anything. Only those either financially sound or financially retarded will use it, everyone else will probably just use it to pay off debt or stick it in savings.

Funny how the bailout isn't working (yet they say to give it more time), so now they want to inject even more money to fix things. So when the stimulus doesn't do what they want, I'm sure they will come up with something else and the cycle continues. It's like they're trying to put out a fire by smothering it with wood.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:34 AM

5,409 posts, read 10,331,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
That's it, just keep pumping and wait for the system to explode. How can we get rid of this dysfunctional system for good?
Nope, absolutely NOT.

If it can float more debt, we must keep loading it up.

AND THEN it will sink straight to the bottom AND THEN . . . maybe we can build a new one, but only if we can shoot, drown, and/or run out of town all the free-load bankers, lawyers, and politihos who will urgently and insistently try to recreate their own mess all over again.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:57 PM

742 posts, read 1,901,354 times
I never got my first stimulus check. Don't expect to get this one (should it go through).

Old 10-20-2008, 03:16 PM

17,031 posts, read 28,176,895 times
If the government can throw money around, why not lower everyones tax rate by 10%?

Old 10-20-2008, 03:44 PM

5,379 posts, read 11,237,932 times
One wonders that their (Govt) actions aren't doing more harm than good and actually retarding any sort of comeback. I mean geez louise......how much more are they gonna stick us with????

Old 10-20-2008, 08:08 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,055,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse View Post
I highly doubt a stimulus package will do much of anything. Only those either financially sound or financially retarded will use it, everyone else will probably just use it to pay off debt or stick it in savings.
I'm going to go for the "unpopular" opinion.

I think it's a good move. Essentially increasing government debt and lessening household debt (the core of the problem). It'll be easier for the government to "negotiate" a debt write-down or course of action with our foreign creditors than it would be for each and every household going through the banks, then to the government, and then to the foreign creditors.

Ultimately, we have to negotiate with our foreign creditors to determine the end result.

If people put it into savings/paying off debt ... offhandedly it is shoring up bank finances by supplementing debt assets with cash/deposit assets.

At the bottom of this crisis it's ultimately a household debt problem. A stimulus towards the household sector should help ease the pain vs. all the handouts directed to just the banks.

The Fed and other central banks has "injected" trillions of dollars already into the system... and we still have a fairly level money supply and flat CPI.

-chuck22b

Old 10-20-2008, 08:15 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,666,896 times
apparently all the employees are making enough to buy the company and then some more, if they pooled some of their gross salaries together

So if they want to save their jobs, why not just let them do it themselves?

if I am wrong someone correct me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics