Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 08:58 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,841,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaApple View Post
I think it is ok to invest in oil because for two reasons:
1) It will eventually go up
2) Make back the money you lost by actually paying for the gasoline when oil was 150/barrel ---> 4.11/gallon

Think about it if it seems expensive means that the company selling it is making a profit. (Oil --> exxon, iphone --> apple, etc.). Buy oil to make the money you lost for excessive gas prices last summer.
Yes but the poor who have no choice but to pay for expensive oil will hardly be able to recoup their losses simply because they can not afford to buy oil stock. So in reality it only benefits those who can afford to do so. If you are able to purchase oil stock, the cost of gas is not a great concern
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 08:44 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,791,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
That is utter nonsense. You’re hoping that the demand goes up so OPEC can cut production and raise the price on a barrel of oil. Not good for average working class people who are not thinking of buying oil stock but putting food on the table. Since when did the oil companies need to raise capital? Did they not raise BILLIONS of dollars in oil profits by over charging us in the first place?
No they did not make billions by overcharging you. They make money by selling you the products you use everyday at a profit of 10%. If you want to talk gouging ask Microsoft what their margin was on your computer programs.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:21 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,230,091 times
It's not greedy to buy a product when the price is lower. It's smart....and frugal.

When Coca-Cola goes on sale at your local supermarket for $2.50 for a 12 pack what do you do? The regular price is like $4.00. And if you're a Coca-Cola addict like my wife you'd better stock up cause you know it's going back up next week.

I thought $144/barrel was extreme. Maybe it was a fluke. But I see it at least going back up to $100/barrel in 6 months or less. If I invested $1000 in oil at $50/barrel and it went back up to $100/barrel that's going to double my money. What if it went crazy and went to $144/barrel again....or higher? You could drink Coca-Cola for quite a while on that.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:00 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,500,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
It's not greedy to buy a product when the price is lower. It's smart....and frugal.

When Coca-Cola goes on sale at your local supermarket for $2.50 for a 12 pack what do you do? The regular price is like $4.00. And if you're a Coca-Cola addict like my wife you'd better stock up cause you know it's going back up next week.
What to do?

Walk on by and be better for it.

A 12 pack @ $2.50 will make a normal, healthy person sick, along with parting them from their money.

A 12 pack @ $4.00 is the same, just parts with more money.

Lose / lose choice there, and no win on the list.

You are correct that is a good metaphor for oil and the US.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
What to do?

Walk on by and be better for it.

A 12 pack @ $2.50 will make a normal, healthy person sick, along with parting them from their money.

A 12 pack @ $4.00 is the same, just parts with more money.

Lose / lose choice there, and no win on the list.

You are correct that is a good metaphor for oil and the US.
OK...substitute asparagus for the coke then...LOL

Old 10-23-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
OK...substitute asparagus for the coke then...LOL
Thanks for being a sport -- I do not mean to be so preachy and jerky as I sometimes write.

But yunno, if we were talking Asparagus, then the obvious thing would be to just grow some and even surplus, and share it with your neighbor.

Some pondering here . . .

Overall, does it seem the things we struggle and fight for -- like oil -- are the things that tend to harm US? Sort of seems like life could be easy if we would let it.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
...But yunno, if we were talking Asparagus, then the obvious thing would be to just grow some and even surplus, and share it with your neighbor.....
...much in the same sense that we should be drilling for oil in our own back yard instead of the middle east?

Old 10-23-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
...much in the same sense that we should be drilling for oil in our own back yard instead of the middle east?
Well, you did not hear me say that.

Our backyard -- Texas, as it were -- is poked full of holes.

Oil, gas, coal holes and just about any other kind imaginable.

While it did some good in its time, that time is fading fast.

Overall, I think we are supposed to be the second or something most polluted state for the wear.

And long-term there is no future in it.

At this point Texas production is back down to 1930's levels -- It peaked at about triple of now back around 1970. Nothing but downhill from here.

If I had my druthers things would be looking more like this >>>

Ausra.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics