Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 05:12 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,787,845 times

Advertisements

People who move into HOAs deserve every bit of it... they are idiots to have entered into these kind of agreements... When I buy a house, it will be without an HOA... I am not a fool to have someone dictate "how" I should live... I understand that people want their neighbors to have homes more visually attractive but I could care less about what my neighbors does in their property as long as it doesn't interfere with my property... or they will get a lawyer calling them soon...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 05:30 PM

947 posts, read 3,133,710 times
I'm not an idiot nor a fool. I Owned a home previously that does not have an HOA. I currently own a home that has a HOA. Also own a townhouse (inv property) that has a HOA.

The CC&R's are just basic common sense stuff, there is nothing in them that dictate how someone should "live".

Some HOA's are worse than others. Mine have been o.k.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:40 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,629,449 times
[quote=evilnewbie;5881055]People who move into HOAs deserve every bit of it... they are idiots to have entered into these kind of agreements... When I buy a house, it will be without an HOA... I am not a fool to have someone dictate "how" I should live... I understand that people want their neighbors to have homes more visually attractive but I could care less about what my neighbors does in their property as long as it doesn't interfere with my property... or they will get a lawyer calling them soon...[/quo

But in the end unless it is covered by city ordinance nothign is goignto happen because basically they will tell you keep out of muy business I ain't breakingno law. Even a lawyer is a waste of time and money. Because even if you get a judgemant for teh lawyers fees it is upto you to enforce it. Taht's whay OJ even with the vast number of aLawyers and investiagotres was walkign free of his civil loss.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:23 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,615,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
People who move into HOAs deserve every bit of it... they are idiots to have entered into these kind of agreements... When I buy a house, it will be without an HOA... I am not a fool to have someone dictate "how" I should live... I understand that people want their neighbors to have homes more visually attractive but I could care less about what my neighbors does in their property as long as it doesn't interfere with my property... or they will get a lawyer calling them soon...
I'm not an idiot and I have no issues in any of the communties I have bought properties....I knew what I signed and I have no problem with it and have at no time ever gotten the feeling that some one is spying on me.

People who have that feeling are most of the time doing something wrong.

In some communities people have been complaining or are saying that their HOA is horrible. I have one advise for them....join them and listen to what they have to say in meetings. That might change how you feel about them or you and others can change the way they handle things....we had some people who believed every stupid lie that people had as an excuse for what they were doing. I had an huge issue with my neighbor and I reported it and not much was done about it until my neighbors son tried to drive over me in my own driveway...well it took some months but after being found guilty in a court of law and had to pay the fines, do community service and pay higher insurance for his car (he got a ticket for wreckless driving as well) and he got probation.....the HOA told me they felt sorry they hadn't done more and how they believed these people although everything was with pics. to proof what I had told them.....a few committe members left and I'm one of the replacements for them and me and others are strickt, but reasonable and it shows in our community as of how the curb appeal is and how the financial part is.....meanly because we got a new management company who came in here to clean up the community.

I wish we could do without paying a HOA fee, but it is also for maintenance for the pool area, sports courts, etc..., but it seems that many people in this Tampa area won't take care of their properties unless they get penalties.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:27 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,688,061 times
Get a life people, if someone elses' property is unsightly, remember that is is NOT YOURS! In a communist society such as ours the Government already dictates what people can and cannot do, so why pay extra for a HOA to do it as well? If this was a free country with private property rights a neat home could exist right next to a different one and nobody would be so immature to want control of either. The only limits would be when noise or odors cross that property line then the government gets involved. Instead there exist childish HOA boards to steal money and dictate what people can do. This is yet another symptom of America's decline as in the early 20'th century no HOA existed.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:55 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,772,019 times
HOAs are simply another layer of government that you agree to when you move to an incorporated area. If you don't like them, just buy somewhere else....

I prefer to avoid cities as well as HOAs. Federal, state, and county taxes and regulations are more than enough for me, and the extra layers of cost and bureaucracy imposed by city and neighborhood government are just too much.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:37 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,996,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
If you don't like them, just buy somewhere else....
Good point!
---------------------------------------------------------

However, if the fees aren't too high, then it can be a very nice tool for the neighborhood for improvement and upkeep. A person who has to upkeep their own yard probably pays an equivalent figure for lawn/landscaping and other amenities.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:32 PM

5,340 posts, read 14,098,517 times
Another reason I will never own a property with a HOA, unless it is one of those $100/yr. to upkeep the entrance grounds types. Condo or townhome where you are at the mercy of the HOA...NO WAY.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:18 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,838,882 times
I live in an upscale gated community and every home owner in here lives here because it has an HOA..! Many people like living in a nice neighborhood with rules.
HOA's aren't for everyone, some people don't care what their neighbor's property looks like, no matter how much it affects their own properyt value, then again some people don't bother cleaning the inside of the homes, either. Just depends what kind of life style you prefer. The homes in our community are show pieces inside and out....
To each his own...

Old 10-30-2008, 07:15 AM

897 posts, read 2,819,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Rather hateful comment ... and one that does not directly apply to the post. I am one of those idiots you are referring too. Most (the overwhelming majority) of those that move into an HOA community move into them knowing full well what they are getting into. It's the idiots that move into those neighborboods, disregard the covenants they agreed to, and then complain that are the real problem.

Home ownership has many costs and implications that many folks are not equiped to handle - plain & simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics