Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 10:44 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times

Advertisements

I work very closely with an Icelandic guy (last name Skulason). Extremely nice guy and strong work ethic. He was just in Iceland three months ago visiting his family for three weeks. He feels bad about the collapse, but apparently his family is not overly concerned. They're getting by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 10:45 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Just tonight, I happened to be listening to the radio...an oldies station here in Washington, DC.

They aired an ad, which normally I don't notice...but this one caught my ear because of a beautiful, female, accented voice. She said, "Call us now for a free bottle of Icelandic Omega fish oil gelcaps"...she went on to plug the supposed benefits of fish oil and the superiority of Icelandic fish oil.

I'll bet she is as beautiful as her voice.....

PS: I can't recall ever hearing an ad or anything else from Iceland in the US media.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:29 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
PS: I can't recall ever hearing an ad or anything else from Iceland in the US media.
There are a few highly acclaimed Icelandic songwriter/bands: Björk, Sugarcubes, Leaves, Sigur Rós.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:15 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Poor Iceland.

Well, at least it's happening to them and not us....

It'll never happen us.

Never, never, ever. Right?

Hello? Right?

I'm right, right?

We are safe, aren't we?

Anybody?

Old 11-09-2008, 10:25 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I don't really know how to break this to you, trish ..... but there aren't too many people abroad who really like us. Our govt has formal allies, but we as a people are not loved.

If you're travelling through other countries anywhere in the world, it's best to pretend you're Canadian if possible. They like Canadians.

Of course that presents a problem when travelling through Canada .....
Not really true. There are not too many people who like George W. Bush abroad, but only the stupid people associate average Americans with GWB. And yes, there are just as many stupid people in Europe and Canada as there are in America, despite what those on the left would like us to believe...

I've lived in two other countries and traveled in twenty more. Pretty much all of this time was spent during the current administration. I've never once told someone that I'm a Canadian. I've never even thought about doing that.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
To tell you the truth america didn't invent the crisis that is happening all over. It is just a consumer crisis on debt that was happening everywhere. Look how fast the UK went into a declared recession and their banlks started under. We live in avery leverage world now days.UIf you think the US governamnt is in trouble watch what happens in the very leveraged european countires that have huge out floows much worse than out socail security.medicare and medicaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics