U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How high will unemployment get?
Less than 7% 1 2.44%
7-9% 8 19.51%
10-12% 15 36.59%
13-15% 10 24.39%
16-20% 4 9.76%
21-30% 1 2.44%
over 30% 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 02:06 PM

146 posts, read 538,538 times

Advertisements

...I mean the official government measure. I know that many people don't trust it but it's really the only concrete figure we can go on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 02:32 PM

I voted 13-15%. That's because I think this crisis is of severity that is somewhere in the middle between the Great Depression and the recession of the early 80's-- the most severe recession since the Great Depression.

I can't imagine that this will be a complete collapse but I am afraid that this is more than "just a recession". The events of October seemed to be out of the ordinary and the latest economic data is not to be disregarded-- 30-40% drop in auto sales over a year means that the economy is seriously in trouble.

However, I'm not a doomer. I believe that our way of life will essentially stay the same and this period of difficulty will be over by the next Presidential election.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:38 PM

1,860 posts, read 4,609,598 times
I voted 7-9% thinking it will be towards the high-end 9% sometime next spring or summer before the economy starts to turn. I hope that it doesn't go any higher than that!

Old 11-10-2008, 03:57 PM

33 posts, read 116,543 times
Does the unemployment rate include the illegal aliens who are being thrown out of work due to stricter checking of documents at employers and the use of E-Verify?

Old 11-10-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_critic View Post
Does the unemployment rate include the illegal aliens who are being thrown out of work due to stricter checking of documents at employers and the use of E-Verify?
The question only concerns legal (and therefore counted) residents of the US. An unemployed illegal Mexican residing in the US contributes to Mexico's unemployement, not ours.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:34 PM

268 posts, read 757,828 times
If Christmas falls flat and we lose a car company I predict 20%+.

This recession reminds me of watching a snow ball picking up speed and more snow. Pretty soon it's smashing down trees and rocks making a hell of a mess. Mean while the governments of the world are throwing money at it trying to stop it. Money they don't have.

Interesting to see what is going to happen.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:44 PM

1,954 posts, read 4,940,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyn View Post
The question only concerns legal (and therefore counted) residents of the US. An unemployed illegal Mexican residing in the US contributes to Mexico's unemployement, not ours.
Isn't unemployment defined as people who are actively searching for work and are registered with a government agency as doing so? In that case, illegal mexicans wouldn't be actively searching for work in Mexico and thus be outside the system altogether.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:42 AM

5,340 posts, read 8,890,187 times
Quote:
Really? Do Mexican illegals compete for jobs in Mexico, go to school in Mexico, or get health care in Mexico? If they are here, they are impacting our system and the system is impacting them.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:41 AM

8,069 posts, read 11,872,707 times
Quote:

However, I'm not a doomer. I believe that our way of life will essentially stay the same and this period of difficulty will be over by the next Presidential election.
I'm not a doomer either, but you are seriously deluded if you think the way of life of the 1950s-1990s middle class in the US and Europe will stay the same going forward.

The standard of living for the average worker going forward will move down towards Brazilian/Chinese et al standards, while the living standards of the average worker in those countries will move up slightly.

In short we will meet somewhere in the middle, but at a lower level than that enjoyed by the "golden age" middle classes of the US and Europe.

This process has been ongoing since the 1980s, and the current crisis most likely represents an acceleration of that process.

One of the ways to reverse it is the discovery/invention of a new magical energy formula (like oil a hundred years ago) and perhaps isolationism.

Unlikely.

In any case, I voted 10%-12% and I sincerely hope it doesn't go any higher. If the government does bail out the car companies, I hope it will be on the condition that they invest in alterantive fuel vehicles and/or public transport vehicles and infrastructure, and certainly not in the same type of vehicles using last century's fuel.

But I'm not going to hold my breathe for that either; current US leadership, both in the corporations and government, is greedy and short-sighted.

Last edited by bale002; 11-11-2008 at 04:52 AM..

Old 11-11-2008, 08:37 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,111,796 times
Goldman Sachs released a forecast today calling for 8.5%+ going into 2010:

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/the-insi...h-but-why.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics