Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 07:02 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,121 times

Advertisements

Yes, the package came with lots of loopholes, as well as lots of pork. Vocal opponents of the bailout pretty much expected exactly what's happening-- that's why they opposed it.

Obama doesn't have the silver bullet and neither did McCain. Both would have done exactly what's already been done-- bailout, stimulus, more stimulus, unemployment comp, more unemployment comp, loan mods, free refis, tax forgiveness, express bankruptcy, drop interest rates, drop rates more, yada yada yada. How far has it gotten us? How far will doing more of the same get us? The difference is, Obama will throw a lot more taxpayer dollars at the problem and socialize the losses. And the losses will continue, because endless enabling will only prolong the amount of time it takes to let the air out of the overinflated balloon our financial system has become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 08:54 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times
Just can't seem to keep the political garbage of an otherwise business related conversation?

Click your heals three times . . . I wish McCain had won, I wish McCain had won, I wish McCain had won . . . oh gee, everything is still the same.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:42 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
is history about to repeat itself:
American Thinker: George Soros and the Alchemy of 'Regime Change'

Old 11-13-2008, 10:49 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,243,697 times
Emails, phone calls didn't work. You're right. They voted yay anyway. Would it have helped if millions of people took to the streets in a peaceful protest? Would it have mattered if millions of people marched on Capitol Hill? It's pretty easy to click and delete an email or take an angry phone call and be done with it. It's much harder to ignore the voices when they're there..strength in numbers, peacefully, of course. Do you think it would have made a difference? Do you think the gubmint is thinking "yeah...they'll gripe and moan but in the end nothing will happen and we'll get our way and they'll hope for the best" I mean...there's no real grass roots protest to this stuff. We're just b*tching about it on forums and wringing our hands. I'm just as guilty as the next person for this, but I'm just putting this out there for consideration. I'm just sayin....Or would we have to worry about armed men in black suits and hovering helos?

Old 11-13-2008, 12:45 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Emails, phone calls didn't work. You're right. They voted yay anyway. Would it have helped if millions of people took to the streets in a peaceful protest? Would it have mattered if millions of people marched on Capitol Hill? It's pretty easy to click and delete an email or take an angry phone call and be done with it. It's much harder to ignore the voices when they're there..strength in numbers, peacefully, of course. Do you think it would have made a difference? Do you think the gubmint is thinking "yeah...they'll gripe and moan but in the end nothing will happen and we'll get our way and they'll hope for the best" I mean...there's no real grass roots protest to this stuff. We're just b*tching about it on forums and wringing our hands. I'm just as guilty as the next person for this, but I'm just putting this out there for consideration. I'm just sayin....Or would we have to worry about armed men in black suits and hovering helos?
That's not what the founding fathers of this country did and not what those that came here and fought for what it represented did either !

NOBODY in AMERICA today has the guts to do what they did collectively. When the Gov flexes its muscles when anyone dares challenge them, everyone involved fans out like scared rats for cover 99.99999% of the time. We will all sit back and do what the Gov says and continue to do nothing but b*tch about it. It has become the American way !

The Great USSA !

Old 11-13-2008, 01:16 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,243,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
That's not what the founding fathers of this country did and not what those that came here and fought for what it represented did either !

NOBODY in AMERICA today has the guts to do what they did collectively. When the Gov flexes its muscles when anyone dares challenge them, everyone involved fans out like scared rats for cover 99.99999% of the time. We will all sit back and do what the Gov says and continue to do nothing but b*tch about it. It has become the American way !

The Great USSA !
I think that's what I was getting at. The shift of power from what the founding fathers intended has been so drastic that unless people take the power back, we'll continue to get more of the same. And the gubmint knows that the "voice" of the people is limited to elections every 2-4 years and phone calls and emails. Things that are easily washed over. We've let things get out of hand. Now if you challenge, people fear those black suited men and black helocopters. The burden of everything: of proof if the IRS says you're in arrears, of anything, is on the people. That isn't Govt working for the people. That's people working for the Govt. And handouts, bailiouts, etc also isn't the gubmint working for people....it is again, the taxpayer, working for the gubmint and the bad business owners and CEOs who chose to run their operations on the DL, at the expense others. When are people going to get mad enough and "get it?" When they're scrapping over a loaf of bread?

Old 02-28-2009, 04:27 PM

95 posts, read 244,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The Freedom of Information Act does not apply to private entities. The Federal Reserve is NOT "federal", which most of you posting here know. They can put anything on their balance sheets that they wish, and don't have to answer to anybody for it. Granted, they have a lot of worthless trash that they took over from the banks. But the Fed was the perfect entity to do this, as they do not have to open their books to the public, as real 'federal' agencies do. They are a private bank.
Okay, since we (the US government) own citigroup now, do we get to see what's on the books? And who sits on the board of directors? Being the largest share holder, don't we get a seat? Just asking, I always thought the largest share holder got a seat on the board.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I don't clearly understand it but in the last senate hearing Dood who had mentioned takihng over Citi in the prior meeting was very care to say that he was not in favor of taling over Citi.We all saw the financials drop because a take over would mean the common shares went to zero value basically. The other banks would ahve people pulling out quickly. Apparently the Citi franchise is worth alot as they are into alotmroe tahn banking and this would be effected.SAs to the assweets no one knows and ferom what i understand theywant a curent plan on what they are going to dop weith tehassets when they value them as its a job they don't want to repeat.once the assets are value then either the govern,mant does the bad bank thing or they bid on the dollar and others can out bid the government.If we had a panic on the banks you can kiss the economy good by from what I gathered at a time when at least the banks are not droping to zero. Small banks are no problem because of the huge difference in size.A touchy situation from what I could tell that was very dangerous in October to a economic collapse.90% of people could kiss their jobs goodbye like the depression and values that have loss 50% could drop alot more with some being zero.Likely the government would close the banks to prevent a run also as done in the depression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics