U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 05:01 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,474 posts, read 14,887,723 times

Advertisements

ABC News: Another AIG Resort "Junket": Top Execs Caught on Tape

Reporters for abc15.com (KNXV) caught the AIG executives on hidden cameras poolside and leaving the spa at the Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort, despite apparent efforts by the company to disguise its involvement.

Two words. Holiday Inn.

I have more to say. Just fuming right now. Can't say anything more. Too mad.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 05:50 AM

5,694 posts, read 10,681,696 times
Party on, Garth! Yeah, party dude!

Is anyone really surprised?

At least they are true to their own nature.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:17 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,474 posts, read 14,887,723 times
I didn't sign up to pay for this!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:42 AM

5,694 posts, read 10,681,696 times
I did not sign up to pay for:

The Iraqicide.
The War on Drugs.
The TIA, CIA, kidnapping or torture.
NAFTA, CAFTA, WTO or GATT

should the list continue? All far worse than AIG.

Have you figured out it is not (y)our country, yet?

Old 11-11-2008, 10:33 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,541,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

The Iraqicide.
The War on Drugs.

I realized it a long time ago. Saw it first in the mid 90's when I was coming out of college and found the job market slimming down. I knew things were bad when Enterprise Car rental showed up at a college job fair to recruit upcoming graduates with their bachelors in business. At the time I laughed. I’m not laughing any more.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:06 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,919,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

The Iraqicide.
The War on Drugs.

Amen! And I hope everyone who reads this thread will get this.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:33 PM

89 posts, read 246,424 times
Ummmm, you might want to change the title of this post to "Mainstream media distorts another AIG story." Don't get me wrong, the people in charge of getting AIG into this mess with Credit Default Swaps are awful people, but our great mainstream media just loves a mob mentality that get's people off the real issue because it is "sensationalized."

70Ford, here are the Facts:
Your title says AIG puts on $343,000 junket with taxpayer money"
Reality: AIG paid around $23,000 for not a junket, but a meeting for product training to INDEPENDENT AGENTS!!!! NO CORPORATE EXECUTIVES. The rest was paid by sponsors

Also, on the Whole "California Exectuive Retreat," there were NO EXECUTIVES there, it was put on by indepdent financial planners. Cancelling it would have cost more money, plus the revenue generated by those independent financial planners is around 200 million ytd.

Again, there is harsh blame to go on for AIG, but the media is getting insane on distorting these stories and going after independent producers?????.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:12 PM

86,068 posts, read 78,996,444 times
I don't quite agree with you TennisDD..did you read the article ?

snippet:

"Company officials confirmed the company spent an estimated $343,000 to sponsor the 2008 Asset Management Conference. A spokesperson said much of the cost would be recouped from product sponsors at the conference.

KNXV said the president of AIG unit Royal Alliance Associates, Art Tambaro, stayed in a two-story Casita suite and worked out at the spa while others participated in seminars.

Tambaro and other AIG executives declined to comment when approached by KNXV. "

Old 11-11-2008, 10:09 PM

89 posts, read 246,424 times
Sorry Happy Texan, you are joining the angry mob mentality focuing on the wrong issues. I hope our population is smarter than this. Yes, AIG Product who were involved in CDS should be jailed, prosecuted, etc. They are the villians. They got AIG into this mess and now the people who can actually bring the company money are getting destroyed(those selling AIG products because of the press), thus making the bill the taxpayers make higher
FINANCIAL PLANNERS who are actually bringing in AIG money and have zero to do with CDS were at this meeting. And yes, AIG ended up spending 23K for the event when all is done. My wedding cost about that and I am in no way "rich." This is getting silly

Here are the facts: Links
Bailed-out AIG denies excesses for staff - Breaking News - World - Breaking News

YouTube - AIG CEO Explains Resort Retreat

Old 11-11-2008, 10:54 PM

939 posts, read 3,238,447 times
Tell us again why they needed to have this "conference" at a large expensive hotel. Doesn't AIG have a large enough conference room in one of their corporate office buildings to hold this meeting? Your right, this is getting silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics