Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should GM be bailed out, yes or no?
yes, bail them out 44 22.22%
no, do not bail them out 154 77.78%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 06:08 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,010,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
Wake up people... The $25 Billion that is already allocated to the auto industry IS FOR retooling and advancing to future products. The Gov isn't giving them cash to do with what they want. They just need the already allocated funds immediately, not a few months from now.

By receiving it now it will free up cash they are currently using for retooling. Last I saw on CNBC yesterday, it was reported that Obama is planning on doubling funds to $50 billion with the additional $25 billion to be used for pensions to free up even more cash for them to advance themselves which is what they WANTS to do and are trying to do.

Everyone will sit and criticize US auto for not building what people want, I beg to differ as the big SUV's were EXACTLY what everyone wanted for the last 10 years. And as soon as gas went through the roof, all of the sudden nobody wanted those anymore and started screaming about it. What, does everyone think US auto should be able to pull a completely different model vehicle out of their butts in the drop of a hat ? What, did everyone expect the Auto industry to have a crystal ball ? Why not right, it's obvious the rest of the world has one... I guess this GLOBAL crisis is just an illusion !

Be realistic, US auto can't fail ! It effects too many other industries WORLDWIDE. If it does The Great Depression will look like a small pullback in comparison to what will come from it !

I gotta say I agree with this... they were building what people wanted.. heck if they could have.. they would have had a water fountain in the damn thing and people would have went gaa gaa over it..

But I gotta say this.. I dont think they should be bailed out.. should these automobile giants fall down.. we got worse times ahead of us... The blackmail that someone talked about (bring the car companies back to the states instead of building outside of the country) to get them to get that money would be wonderful.. teach them how to build in america for the americans... paying someone 70k to just simply stand on a line (and no I am not implying that they got it easy on the line) is a bit much. Any joe can watch a machine build a car... UAW does need to be put out of their misery... maybe the prices of cars will come down instead of paying 40k (dang near the same amount of a dang house) for each one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 06:15 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
the GM bailout bill will be attached to an unemployment extension bill. they should not be allowed to attach bills to other bills and make them stand on their own merits. i think it is sleazy to run government that way.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:48 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,038 times
Default This is nothing new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
the GM bailout bill will be attached to an unemployment extension bill. they should not be allowed to attach bills to other bills and make them stand on their own merits. i think it is sleazy to run government that way.
That's also how the Iraq War has been funded.

And why not attach it to an unemployment bill since it will probably save money on unemployment insurance payouts in the next year or so?

Old 11-17-2008, 07:33 PM

327 posts, read 968,227 times
Quote:
All you have to do is stop in a UAW office and ask to see the current labor contract. Read it... compare that to the rest of the world then you tell me how special they think they are... or aren't.

Is that enough fact for you ? The fleecing has no bounds... or common sense.
Thank you for responding to my posting, and thank you for proving my point. You are unable to reference even one credible source stating that union workers feel "they are special" and that union workers don't actually work an 8 hour day. Your ignorant remarks are nothing more than your own personal prejudices and carry no more weight than if I were to say Montanans all smoke Marlboros!

Old 11-17-2008, 07:41 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,301,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncorey1 View Post
HEY Stephan_K:

I'm not a UAW worker (but I think unions are needed now more than ever)! Actually I'm recently layed off and my severance ran out weeks ago. I have NO insurance right now and am drawing unemployment. So maybe the waitress waiting on my a$$ at the corner restaraunt has more in common with me than you, huh???
I know your not part of the UAW fleecing system... but you sure wish you were ! I picked that up from your previous posts.

Ya, more unions is exactly what the US needs. Lets drive the cost of US goods and services even higher so corps can outsource what jobs are left to other countries (or most likely go BK) to compete in the global economy we are part of. Sounds like a plan to me !

I feel sorry that you are not working and receiving unemployment, I really do. But a union is not going to change that situation... it will bring your situation onto more ! Learn from recent history. Read the previous sentence again and again until it sinks in ! One more time. Learn from history...

The unions and the added lifetime expenses they force industry to take on coupled with the "world economy" our Gov so adamantly insists is a good thing is stacking the deck against US business.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:56 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times
I would favor a bailout with lots of strings. Completely new management. Renegotiate union contracts. Consolidate 3 into 1 (Chryford Motors!). Model consolidation with major focus on hybrid & electric. When the recession/depression ends American cars will have a leg up on the world.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:00 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,301,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellykat View Post
Thank you for responding to my posting, and thank you for proving my point. You are unable to reference even one credible source stating that union workers feel "they are special" and that union workers don't actually work an 8 hour day. Your ignorant remarks are nothing more than your own personal prejudices and carry no more weight than if I were to say Montanans all smoke Marlboros!
There is no more credible source than union labor contracts themselves. Go read one...

You act like they don't exist or something ! I know what's in UAW's AND it's apparent that you don't or that you just don't understand what's in it !

Old 11-17-2008, 09:40 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Actually there's more than one sensable reason to be anti-union, the other is realizing that unions exist so that the incompetent and lazy remain employed and get promoted. Unfortunately that's exactly what unions have sunk to not to mention a piggy bank for the union reps and bosses. By the way, this is from someone who was in 2 different unions (grave diggers and teamsters) and seen three other unions at work (or not depending on the case).

Like I said, you bitterly resent blue-collar workers making a good living. And not being knee-bending lickspittles. Otherwise you wouldn't make such unreasonable claims, claims obviously based on emotion rather than fact.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:47 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:

Ya, more unions is exactly what the US needs. Lets drive the cost of US goods and services even higher so corps can outsource what jobs are left to other countries (or most likely go BK) to compete in the global economy we are part of. Sounds like a plan to me !

The unions and the added lifetime expenses they force industry to take on coupled with the "world economy" our Gov so adamantly insists is a good thing is stacking the deck against US business.

Another example of the Second Law of Wages----"My good living is good for the economy but your good living causes inflation and outsourcing." A variation is "I deserve to be well paid but you should work for peanuts."

If enough people in this country lose their good living the laws of economics will be trumped by the laws of ballistics. Someone will come after you and whats yours' Stephan unless you realize that as Americans we're supposed to be in this together.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:48 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncorey1 View Post
That's also how the Iraq War has been funded.

And why not attach it to an unemployment bill since it will probably save money on unemployment insurance payouts in the next year or so?
i think it was sleazy to fund the iraq war that way also. i don't think bills should be attached to other bills. let them stand or die on their own merits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics