U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 10:31 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,442,710 times

Advertisements

The last twenty years have shown the terrible economic changes which transformed the United States from a nation of savers and thrifty buyers to one of incredible materialism. The generation to which this is credited to is the Baby Boomers. Being a Xer I am compelled to ask this question. What happened? I thought the counter culture and hippies were about redefining the meaning of being alive and in tune with nature. Did you not reject materialism?

Yet NAFTA, Freed trade with China and job outsourcing all happened on your watch. While I was in high school you were giving away our economy, thus forcing many of us to live a life of easy credit due to the reduction of real salaries and increase in the cost of living. I don't get it? What happened to being responsible and in touch with your fellow man and women? Weren’t medical benefits necessary for the nation’s work force? What happened to corporate pensions? Instead you deprived us of the very benefits you took for granted. I am not busting on the peace movement, but something went sour. The generation which drove VW Beatles went upscale when they purchased BMWs in 1980’s. If there is a word to which can be used to describe your generation is must be hypocrites
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 11:32 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,117,775 times
Generation Hippie became Generation Yuppie and then Generation CEO.

Someone on this board once described them as a swarm of locusts. I tend to agree.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:19 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,596,334 times
The Shallowest Generation - Seeking Alpha

Old 11-16-2008, 01:08 AM

9,324 posts, read 24,770,541 times
Hippies always seemed selfish to me. They only cared about pleasure, the easiest ways possible. Therefore hippies became yuppies when the "peace and love" illusion no longer worked. I would be considered early generation X and my parents grew up during the depression. Because they had me when they turned 40, I could have been born a "baby boomer" if I was conceived 10 years earlier. For some reason I always liked the 50's, a decade I never experienced, and the early 60's before I even existed. But like a true generation X I hated the phony affluence of the yuppies. While they drove their BMW's and Mercedes I dreamed of my 1969 Charger and trucks. Still have the chargers today. Growing up in Miami I saw how the "boomers" inflated the real estate market and brought bad attitude to the area. Combined with the refugees floating in which became "yuca" the latin-american equivalent of yuppie, I knew that the area was heading for disaster. But remember, not all "boomers" are selfish, hateful people. I know a few that are truly decent individuals.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:09 AM

706 posts, read 1,208,206 times
Everyone is going to learn a little bit about doing without things in the coming years. This is the culmination of a lack of leadership and policy. We gave it all away to the Japanese, Koreans, Mexicans and now the Chinese. Anyone should have seen this coming.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:46 AM

3,306 posts, read 3,666,787 times
I don't think the baby boomers are any worse than Generation X and Y. My favorite generation is my grandparents (not sure what its called), they were all born before or during the depression. I still have one grandma standing, its amusing every time I talk to her about financial sort of things. She is really clueless to what has happened over the last 30 years or so.

Past hippies only make up a small percentage of boomers. My parents were in no sense hippies (my dad was in the military at the time), but still did a lot of the typical boomer stuff. Trying to get my mom to save money is like pulling teeth. At least from my experience the boomers biggest problem was that they didn't save much of what the earned, but at least they didn't spend what they didn't earn. Leave that to generation X and Y. Generation X and Y are greatly in debt. Generation X had a love affair with the home ATM.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:06 AM

7,321 posts, read 9,062,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
If there is a word to which can be used to describe your generation is must be hypocrites
This is from a baby boomer (me):

If you never learn anything in this life, please memorize this: Banksters, pols, elitists, and more banksters. Those are the people who control what happens in this country, in every country.

Boomers, just like X - Y - Z's, are just common folk. We do not control the system. The system is controlled by the wealthy and the powerful. Almost all boomers are just working folks. They can no more control the direction of the economy, than any other generation ever could.

This isn't a generational thing. This is a money/power thing. If you want to find villains, train your specs on the bankers.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:15 AM

6,584 posts, read 23,710,824 times
I am alledgedly a Baby Boomer and have no idea what you are talking about. I don't remember being a hippie and I don't remember a peace movement. I never drove a VW Bug and I was in high school and college for most of 1980s, so no BMW for me.

Don't get hung up on these generational labels. They make no sense. They are arbitrary. People talk about Boomers retiring now. I am 45 years old!!! Yet, someone has decided I am a Baby Boomer because of the year I was born. I swear to you if I play Trivial Pursuit Baby Boomer Edition and I don't the answer to any of the questions.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:21 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,960,388 times
Guys. Why waste time blaming the boomers? We have so much work to do. And I would personally would prefer to get thing done in a timely manner.

Look on the governmental side we have a new administration in the whitehouse and a new congress to work with. Our responsibility at this point is to trying to keep these folks honest and make sure that we keep them actually representing our interests. We all need to be very politically active and informed. If you feel that your congressman, senator, or president is not representing your best interests. Well.....call, email, mail, or if your really mad march on his/her office to show your displeasure. If you can make try to find others who feel the same way and make sure they do the same. Granted let me put a couple of stipulations on this especially with marching. If you do get others involved make sure that they really know and understand what your discourse is over. And especially with marches.........don't bring your kids. Aaannndddd......please don't for any reason do a chant...God everyone I know finds those utterly annoying.

On the personal consumption side. Well I personally think that most of us need to get use to the idea of a slightly lower level of our standard of living. Not third world status mind you but not to what we had in our past. We need to get rid of the overall mindset of "deserving" things as opposed to "earning" things.
We need to really start thinking about how we spend our personal incomes. And more importantly how/when to use our available credit. Now with that said. Will our economy grow if we are complete tight wads with our money? Well...yes, but probably very slowly. Which personally does not bother me all that much as opposed to some other out there. Especially after seeing the last 10 years of bubbles, troubles, and devaluing of assets.

One last thing I think it would be wise for our society to make economics classes compulsory in our schools so that the next couple of generation will have somewhat of a handle of there finances. At least we can try to avoid a similar situation to what we have today.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:21 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,193,068 times
I'm Gen Y and I'm not in debt....but I do not have half the purchasing power my boomer parents had when they were my age, and with my aversion to "credit as a philosophy of life" I effectively can't afford anything, so your point stands....

A forced change in expectations is due on Gen Y and Z; many of my Gen Y peers are whining their way through this correction, my own fiance subtly resents we cannot enjoy the house, new cars and high end electronics without leveraging on credit, which I refuse to partake in.

My parents had a terrible time acknowledging that they have enjoyed decades of higher purchasing power than their children who attained the same level of education yet all we have to show for is higher debt load to attain said level of education, and said lower purchasing power. They are conflicted in the recognition that the model of success that afforded them such lifestyle does NOT work for their offspring, and that pushing said model on their children and going through the "pain" of hearing their kids "whine" about the failure of the model, says more about them as a generation than it does about Gen Y's supposed "sense of entitlement" and lack of loyalty to employers and rejection of the hard work mantra. You damn right the advent of the "normalcy"of 401K's and the acceptance of multiple employment relocations are the fruits of the baby boomers selling us up the river. That they are "inconvenienced" in hearing Y'ers, and Z'ers in ten years, moan about this doesn't make it any less true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics