U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:36 AM

14,862 posts, read 40,106,724 times

Advertisements

Got this in an email concerning holiday shopping and gift cards. I don't know if the list is true and am curious if ALL OF THESE are REALLY closing???? Anyone heard about them? I know Circuit City, Bombay and a few others. But some of them I am like "HUH?".

Take a look at the list and if you know if that store IS closing indeed or NOT let us all know. THANKS!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Watch those store money cards and gift cards.. and credit slips! Stores that informed the Security Exchange of closing plans between October 2008 and January 2009. PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS.

Circuit City stores... most recent (? how many)

Ann Taylor- 117 stores nationwide are to be shuttered

Lane Bryant,, Fashion Bug ,and Catherine's to close 150 store nationwide

Eddie Bauer to close stores 27 stores and more after January

Cache will close all stores

Talbots closing down all stores

J. Jill closing all stores

GAP closing 85 stores

Footlocker closing 140 stores more to close after January

Wickes Furniture closing down

Levitz closing down remaining stores

Bombay closing remaining stores

Zales closing down 82 stores and 105 after January.

Whitehall closing all stores

Piercing Pagoda closing all stores

Disney closing 98 stores and will close more after January.

Home Depot closing 15 stores 1 in NJ (New Brunswick)

Macys to close 9 stores after January

Linens and Things closing all stores

Movie Galley Closing all stores

Pacific Sunware closing stores

Pep Boys Closing 33 stores

Sprint/ Nextel closing 133 stores

JC Penney closing a number of stores after January

Ethan Allen closing down 12 stores.

Wilson Leather closing down all stores

Sharper Image closing down all stores

K B Toys closing 356 stores

Loews to close down some stores

Dillard's to close some stores.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 07:59 AM

5,750 posts, read 10,762,610 times
That list is starting to sound like School Closings on a "Snow Day."

We are begging NO GIFT CARDS for Christmas for the kids.

But I gotta say some of our relatives are real morons.

Called us yesterday telling us they lost 40% of their money in the Stock Market (gee, no kidding) and these are same folks wanting to get the kids Gift Cards. Go figure.

We tell them the kids enjoy them as people, not crap. Spend some time and teach the kids to Garden, Sew, Woodwork, on and on and on. Those are gifts that last a lifetime.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:01 AM

9,324 posts, read 25,356,029 times
The funny thing is that I have never purchased anything from most of those stores. The clothing/shoes retailers at malls largely deserve to go. It's like Penneys which used to sell tools and garden supplies, even auto parts- and now sells only clothes and shoes. All I say is "good riddance".

Old 11-20-2008, 08:18 AM

20,545 posts, read 28,624,364 times
Not missing anything from those stores. They were all overpriced to begin with. The home stores got lucky through the housing boom. Game over!

Old 11-20-2008, 08:36 AM

The 3 I don't want to see go if it IS true are Ann Taylor (wonder if the Loft stores are included?), Cache and Eddie Bauer. I like those 3 and have always had good luck finding things there I like, FIT PROPERLY, good quality, etc. But I use my store coupons and get great deals.

The only gift cards we have done are the Visa ones that way someone can go ANYWHERE they want: shop, eat, travel, etc.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:46 AM

327 posts, read 914,781 times
Default Talbots

Incorrect information regarding Talbots. The childrens and mens stores have (or will be) closed NOT womens.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:54 AM

3,855 posts, read 12,565,935 times
I have two neighbors in my cul–de–sac. One is a General Manager at Dillard's and the other is a General Manager at JCPenny. They're good people and I hope they don't lose their jobs. Between them they have seven kids. Before you folks say "good riddance" I think you need to think about the human side of this. People work at these stores who have families that depend on their income....some may be your friends and neighbors.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:59 AM

12,035 posts, read 10,031,499 times
If a local store closes, you can use the chain's gift card for online purchases.

snopes.com: Store Closings

Old 11-20-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Before you folks say "good riddance" I think you need to think about the human side of this. People work at these stores who have families that depend on their income....some may be your friends and neighbors.
Not only that but it reduces the competition which in turn RAISES prices and lowers your selections. I don't want to be left with 1 or 2 places to pick from to go buy clothes for the family. When there is no competition the customer service sinks to bottom, quality takes a nose dive, etc. They don't have to worry about losing you to someone else. NO THANK YOU!

A tally of the ENTIRE number of employees effected by this might shed some enlightment upon it. It WILL hurt the economy with more and more places shuttering up and people losing jobs left and right.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:07 AM

5,750 posts, read 10,762,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
I have two neighbors in my cul–de–sac. One is a General Manager at Dillard's and the other is a General Manager at JCPenny. They're good people and I hope they don't lose their jobs. Between them they have seven kids. Before you folks say "good riddance" I think you need to think about the human side of this. People work at these stores who have families that depend on their income....some may be your friends and neighbors.
I agree with you.

From your human side of this . . . . Is there any chance folks in these types situations will choose to something else that is useful and productive Before the boat sinks from under them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics