Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2008, 09:14 PM

89 posts, read 262,093 times

Advertisements

I find it fascinating when looking back at history in trying times with at least a 5 year window in what actually was vs what was perceived at the time.

So here is my question:
Is now bottom? Will we look at this 5 years from now and think this was the worst or are we in the middle or dare I say beginning.

Also, as for as the economy goes, if you were a builder or opening up a shop is now the time to start, does one open up shop now?
Example of this would be a department store. Let's say you are in a booming area in which demand is high, do you open now or do you wait it out.

Let's say you are a homebuilder, do you start building houses now or just keep waiting.

They say fortunes are made in tough times. It shall be interesting how this all plays out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 11:26 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,868,092 times
Not yet.

We still have the holidays to see what happens, if people will spend or not. My idea is that consumer spending is going to be WAY down. Lots of retail places are going to go bust, a lot. Unemployment will probably be 8% nationally. I am thinking we will officially bottom out in summer 2009. Real estate will bottom out around 2010-2011. 2009-2011 is definitely going to be a good year for all those who saved up, kept their credit scores high, and little to no debt because everything is going to be cheap as hell and I am hoping the dollar will remain relatively strong. After that though, the dollar will continue its plummeting in value. All these 5+ trillion bailouts are definitely going to hit the dollar badly sooner or later.

Anything could happen though.

Last edited by killer2021; 11-19-2008 at 11:34 PM..

Old 11-20-2008, 07:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I would not start a business at this time. I suggest keeping your current job, paying off all your debt, buy nothing on credit and stay home and horde. Just hunker down and wait it out.

Although these actions would not be good for the consumer economy they are good for the individual family. Let the FIRE economy die and RIP.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:09 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
I'd wait till February, there will be more blood in the streets as this tax year ends. I'm buying small pieces of blue chips now, but am stocking up for a Spring buying spree...I hope...I was wrong in July/August.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:44 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,698 times
I don't think this is a great time to start a business, unless you have money you can afford to lose. I doubt people will spend for the holidays. People are scared and trying to save every penny they can. Only the deepest sales will entice the majority of consumers, and they'll be shopping at Walmart, not Nordstroms or Saks. And they'll be buying smaller-ticket items, mainly for their kids.

Some retailers just won't make it and household names will be no more.

I wonder if Macy's and Starbucks will ask for bailouts, since they were once American icons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics