Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 09:22 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times

Advertisements

I agree to give them money. I don't think signing documents for someone else is ever a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 10:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I agree with the others to not sign but loan him money instead. If anything happens you're just out the money..not liable for 12 months rent on a lease you signed.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:13 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Remember there's a reason why someone who is in business and sees applications all the time would require a co-signer. Since this person thinks this relative is not credit worthy, why should you?

Don't do it unless you plan to pay the rent on the apartment. As everyone else has said, if you can afford to give him some money --GIVE-- and expect nothing back, then do that. Otherwise, bow out while you're still talking to this relative.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:56 AM

437 posts, read 792,290 times
Shwa, do not do it.

"Will taking on this kind of commitment adversely affect our ability to secure financing for the new business? Will we be turned down? If not could we receive a not-so-favorable interest rate?"

Why would you ask a loan officer type this kind of question? Aren't the money changers asking for bailouts from their executive offices, eating gourmet stuff and flying in G5's. And using your tax dollars for it that you will never see again. Please think for your selves. It's imperitive for ya'll.

Now next year, you may need a loan to pay your tax bill. What do you think the bank will say to that?

Old 11-24-2008, 12:03 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,082,979 times
Sometimes apartments will let someone prepay several months of rent if the person is risky. See if you can do that, then you just loan the relative the money. I'm not sure how hard up this person is, but giving them a year's rent seems like overkill.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:08 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Give them the money, if you like. Give. Don't loan...and for God's sake don't ever expect it back. That'll just make you mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwa View Post
We currently own a home with a hefty mortgage and are planning to open a business in the coming months. A very close relative who is going through hard times has asked us to sign a one-year apartment lease for him (and he'll begin to pay us back early next year... hopefully) but I'm very concerned about how that will be perceived by lenders (especially during this current economic environment).

Will taking on this kind of commitment adversely affect our ability to secure financing for the new business? Will we be turned down? If not could we receive a not-so-favorable interest rate?

Please help! The realtor wants a deposit tomorrow!! Thanks!
When they pull your credit report to check your credit worthiness, your score will dip as a result of that pull.
If you're "on the line" credit speaking wise, you could have just pushed yourself into a higher interest rate.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:49 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
"Never a borrower or lender be." That applies triple to family. Lending this money will be a waste and will break up your family. Do not do it.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:43 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,205,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwa View Post
We currently own a home with a hefty mortgage and are planning to open a business in the coming months. A very close relative who is going through hard times has asked us to sign a one-year apartment lease for him (and he'll begin to pay us back early next year... hopefully) but I'm very concerned about how that will be perceived by lenders (especially during this current economic environment).

Will taking on this kind of commitment adversely affect our ability to secure financing for the new business? Will we be turned down? If not could we receive a not-so-favorable interest rate?

Please help! The realtor wants a deposit tomorrow!! Thanks!
don't sign. for what it's worth, landlords are going to have to be a little more accommodating in these times. i would suggest that he moves in with you if you have a spare room. give him a much better price. this helps you through this interesting time and he gets half price accommodation. 2 years ago my nephew moved to london and asked me to do the same. he ended up moving in with my wife and i. we have our issues but it's good to have him around and his contribution comes in handy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics