U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:26 PM

8,253 posts, read 11,813,325 times

Advertisements

Simple solution, stop the farm subsidies. and save a fortune.
kill off the IRS and save more\
Go green and save more
End the war and save more
reduce the military and even more
close unneeded bases in foreign countries
take over the federal reserve and kick the private banks out.
kill off the pet projects of the congress

there are your money saving techniques for running a lean government
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 01:09 PM

304 posts, read 424,521 times
It's September 2013 and the rich have literally pulled in billions since 2008, years that many of us struggled just to keep our head above water. Jeff Bezos, head of Amazon is said to gain in worth by an average of 223 million per day. Imagine that , no try harder because it's hard, really hard to imagine that kind of money.
At the same time think of all the other companies that he is slowly [ sometimes not so slowly ] putting out of business.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:11 PM

26,189 posts, read 34,761,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
R......................

"In 2007, the GAO reported that the USDA had paid $1.1 billion in farm subsidies to more than 170,000 dead individuals over a seven-year period."

..........despite exceeding a $2.5 million income eligibility limit. ............
All I am seeing here is a condemnation of the ineptitude of the federal government. Since it is all you anti-wealth people who elected them into office, I suggest that you write to your president, congressman, and senator and complain about the waste and lack of financial control.

You like cheap food? Then don't interfere with the production of cheap food. But there is a legitimate complaint about money going to pay for fraud. Someone should be paying closer attention to the purse strings.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:12 AM

3,889 posts, read 3,227,144 times
I say we end all farming subsidies and replace it with a 25% reverse tax on food. The crops we subsidize are corn, soybeans, tobacco, wheat, cotton, rice and peanuts. Oh, and we subsidized corn again through ethanol, the worst environmental disaster of the 21st century, at least according to Popular Science.

What needs to get subsidized is cereal grains, fruits and vegetables, and legumes.

What gets subsidized is meat, more meat, more meat, corn syrup, corn starch, ethanol, and cigarettes, which they then tax.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:05 AM

4,570 posts, read 3,231,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And the people that really could use the subsidies have to jump through so many hoops and can easily NOT qualify based on some obscure sentence.

I'm talking about the normal Joe who retired to a 20 acre hobby farm and wants to grow and market some vegetables and meat. This is who the farm bill should be helping..not professional sports owners who have some financial interest in a factory farm.
I thought farm aid was supposed to protect food producers from climate and economic forces beyond their control, not facilitate "hobby farms"?

Old 09-12-2013, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrtx View Post
Happy, you are so right in my opinion. I nominate you for Dictator for the day(after me of course).

President Barrack Hussein Obama hired U.Caif Berkley Professor Christina Romer to lead the President's Council of Economic Advisors. I can't wait for her recommendations.

Happy, I'm a normal Joe and I can tell you we are in a recession eventhough it has not be proclaimed .My bank has stopped offering coffee in the lobby. My neighbors normal four trash cans have been reduced by two cans twice weekly and mine is down to one or two sacks. Yes my friend, we are in a recession. . Next stop, we will be going through trash hoping to find something of value.
We generate less than 1 kitchen bag a week. Its called recycling.

You do realized that G W Bush was president in 2007, right? This is a non partisan issue.

Check out the GOP controlled House generated farm bill for 2013, USA Today had an article about it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinio...bates/2594453/

Old 09-12-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
That is the definition of bankruptcy.
Whose going to evict us? The term is irrelevant.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse View Post

YouTube - John Stossel's Politically Incorrect Guide to Politics (5/6)

Farm subsidies are a big joke, only good for those that don't need the money.
That is who it primarily benefits. Yet, instead of holding ALL policy makers responsible, we tend to point partisan fingers. And nothing gets done. Divide and conquer FTMFW!

Old 09-12-2013, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrtx View Post
Florida,

Shhhhhhh, those numbers are unmentionable. Didn't you listen to the president elect the last two years.
And everyone before him. Again, divide and conquer!

Old 09-12-2013, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
All I am seeing here is a condemnation of the ineptitude of the federal government. Since it is all you anti-wealth people who elected them into office, I suggest that you write to your president, congressman, and senator and complain about the waste and lack of financial control.

Did "pro-wealth" people elect the guy before who did the same things? Divide and conquer still at work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics