Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 02:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,925,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Sounds more like a anti-wal-mart post to me.
The post was not done for any "anti-walmart" campaign or any other reason other than a statement of fact of what happened here on Friday and truthfully what we see with respect to the staff on a daily basis. If you see that as "anti-walmart" then I guess I'll try to write nothing but glowing reports about our wally world...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 05:33 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,283,211 times
Unless it's Armaggedon and we're fighting over the last loaf of bread, there isn't ANYTHING that will get me out of bed, in line and ready trample over people. We're talking about the very bottom of the barrel here...

Old 12-02-2008, 06:28 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,644,082 times
I don't see any better at wal-mart the local mall and certianly not at the mom and pop stores where their are so many armed robberies. Should a mom and pop store be sued if a ro9ber cmes in and kills a customer. In my mind its the thinking that wal-mart is the fat cow to be milked of money nothing to do with justice. Or you could make thata clerk. It5s not the price of business as we the customer end of paying all those cost in prices.Hope ypou have alot of insurance when teh mail delievery sues you because she tripped and hurt herself on your steps that you should have markd in red.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:45 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,712,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Wal-Mart worker dies in rush; two killed at toy store - CNN.com

The employee was "stepped on by hundreds of people" as other workers attempted to fight their way through the crowd, Fleming said.

Go, go America. Make me proud.
I agree with the title you used for this thread. It's a scary place to shop at, IMO.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,288,091 times
We ought to be thankful that they do not have "blue light specials" like K-Mart did.
There would be stampedes in the aisles every weekend.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticPhoenix View Post
You expected intelligence from people who shop at Wal-Mart?!
I don't think intelligence has anything to do with it. Walmart attracts a certain type of customer that cares very little about their fellow human beings.

That said, I have shopped at Walmart and I never felt safe or comfortable being there. I seem to run into "near incidents" where something awful could've happened. I prefer to go elsewhere when I can, and I do.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
Of course, the ones to blame are those who make the line like cattle in order to buy sales, but WM does endorse this kind of disgusting behavior.
It's almost as if Walmart condones the negative press, as this has happened for the last two "Black Fridays", if I recall. Although I don't remember if the person trampled last year died though.

Very Creepy.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,925,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I don't see any better at wal-mart the local mall and certianly not at the mom and pop stores where their are so many armed robberies. Should a mom and pop store be sued if a ro9ber cmes in and kills a customer. In my mind its the thinking that wal-mart is the fat cow to be milked of money nothing to do with justice. Or you could make thata clerk. It5s not the price of business as we the customer end of paying all those cost in prices.Hope ypou have alot of insurance when teh mail delievery sues you because she tripped and hurt herself on your steps that you should have markd in red.
Actually the big difference is that WalMart knowingly put a person in a place just because of his size and he was never trained in crowd control according to the story I read today. You also have to figure in that at that particular point in time there really should have been more than just him standing there in case something (like this) happened. I take a different view on some things, this being one of them. My view (whether anyone cares or not) is that Walmart owes his family a decent amount of $$$ to support them and possibly fund college for the kids. Most workers comp insurance is really crap (for those who've never delt with it and don't know) and not designed for the protection of the worker at all, it's designed to protect the employer against being sued (in most situations but not all) and pays squat even for a death and I think this particular situation calls for better.

Now if you're in a dangerous job I guess you could make the argument that you knowingly took a job that could hurt or kill you but I really don't think door opener at Wally World qualifies as that job and if it does then WalMart is really responsible now aren't they?
I really don't care that it's wally world involved, I'd say the same thing if it was Target or Walgreens or any other store.
What's right is right...

Old 12-02-2008, 10:10 PM

940 posts, read 3,184,234 times
completely pathetic!!! human nature boggles my mind!!!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:00 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,078,603 times
WallMart appeals to the lowest common denominator of customer. That's their base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics