Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:58 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times

Advertisements

Not really, where you work is where you pay taxes, not where you live...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 10:18 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Not really, where you work is where you pay taxes, not where you live...
Not true.

Back in Army times, many troops would switch residency to Texas, as there is no Income Tax, and then actually work all over the US and the World. Still goes on as common practice.

Still works the same for me when I am working out-of-state.

The key is usually a "residency" status.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:46 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Not true.

Back in Army times, many troops would switch residency to Texas, as there is no Income Tax, and then actually work all over the US and the World. Still goes on as common practice.

I have worked out of state many times in the last couple of years and although state law varies, you pay taxes to one state (the state you worked in) versus where you live. However there are some states that have "neighbor state" exclusion rules and some states allow deduction from states where you worked in and filed your taxes (where you are suppose to file, and if you didn't, consider yourself lucky they haven't asked for backed taxes). Regardless only one state collects your income tax and unless there are "special" rules, it is the state where you work in...

Old 12-03-2008, 03:40 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,121 times
In L.A., many people-- actors, directors, producers, writers and crew-- work project by project for multiple employers in multiple locations, and they can live anywhere they want. They pay income taxes to their state of legal domicile and if they have multiple residences, that will most likely not be CA. I've worked in the entertainment industry for years and it doesn't matter where I work-- just where I have established residency.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:40 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,384 times
You've got to be a complete idiot to tie your fortunes to the ups and downs of real estate.

Did California really think that home prices would just keep going up and up in 2004 or 05?

Why doesn't this information come down to state employees *before* things crash and they have to cut hours/benefits?

Why doesn't the media report on it in a straight forward way. They report on California in the A section or B section of the paper. Then the money section is C. Can't anyone connect the dots?

Seems so unbelievably stupid for a prosperous state like Ca.

-A. It goes broke when things go south. They know we're going to have recessions in the future.
-B. Employees are hurt, hours are cut, or wages, benefits. And no one seems to be in the loop.
-C. The media seems to be incapable of connecting the dots and presenting the story in a clear way that people can understand.

Totally laughable. A gigantic state gets levered to real estate. And when that goes south, the roads, infrastructure, service, wages, etc go down.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:26 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
So what exactly are they going to do? I hear things about government agencies shutting down for a day a week to save cash, but what does that really do in the long run? Why not start have a look at what they do vs. other states and give serious thought to shutting down those type of programs first? Those type of things are probably the least necessary.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:39 AM

107 posts, read 283,515 times
Maybe mexico can annex CA

Old 12-04-2008, 10:02 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,095 times
aaah you smell that? I farted...and that is what I think of California most of the time...a big wet fart...this state stinks...
"California...1,000,000 illegal immigrants and counting."

Old 12-04-2008, 01:16 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
Quote:
Not true.

Yeah, switched my home of record to Florida (my brother lived there) and "lived" in Florida for 8 years out of the 9 and a 1/2 I was in.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:53 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,398 times
"back in army times" -- what does this mean?

Quote:
Not true.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics