Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 11:43 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,575,377 times

Advertisements

Ford says CEO Will Work for $1 to Get Government Loans - FOXNews.com Transition Tracker (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/12/02/ford-says-ceo-work-government-loans/ - broken link)

Ford Motor Co. CEO Alan Mulally says he'll work for $1 per year if the automaker has to take any government loan money.

The plan Ford is presenting to Congress this week also says it will cancel all management employees' 2009 bonuses and will not pay any merit increases for its North American salaried employees next year.

Mulally said in an interview Tuesday that Ford will emphasize its cost cutting efforts with the United Auto Workers union and will give much more detail to Congress than it did during a visit earlier this month.

The company also will accelerate plans to roll out electric cars as part of the plan it will present to Congress this week.

Mulally says Ford has said it has enough cash to make it through 2009 and may not need government help.

So he will work for $ 1.- for 1 yr...and what will happen after that year......refunds for the missed year of income?

Why did he come up with this after in Europe another CEO already has offered the same and after he took a $ 20,000.- plane ride to get to Congress the first time he went there....how much honesty should we read from all of this and how much money do we have to give them next year and the year after. Isn't it so that if a company fails the company is going out of business......many professionals have already stated that this bailout money will not help them and more will be needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 11:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,193,087 times
So the begging and pleading has started.

That would put us at stage 3 of Grief:

The stages Kubler-Ross identified are:
  • Denial (this isn't happening to me!)
  • Anger (why is this happening to me?)
  • Bargaining (I promise I'll be a better person if...)
  • Depression (I don't care anymore)
  • Acceptance (I'm ready for whatever comes)

Old 12-02-2008, 11:51 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,747,394 times
But I'm sure once they get the money, his salary will shoot right back up.
Why wasn't he doing this BEFORE they "needed" the money?

As for electric cars...bring it on....even though I'd much rather the country invest a lot more time and energy into public transportation so more Americans can have some kind of choice when it comes to their personal transportation needs.
"Do I want to pollute the earth today by riding alone in my car...or do I want to take the bus or train?"
Of course I know trains and buses are not going to work in every single city/town (a town of 5,000 doesn't really need a bus service...does it?) but it would be nice to have an electric car for our longer trips and have trains and buses for our inter-city travel (school, work, mall, grocery store, etc)

A girl can dream....
We won't ever be like Amsterdam...bikes everywhere and driving is discouraged...

Old 12-02-2008, 12:29 PM

5,465 posts, read 12,201,762 times
He makes enough money that a $1 salary is no big whooptie doo. I'm sure that money will be spent on other things rather than cut altogether.

Interesting how he's now willing to do this AFTER certain lawmakers held his and the other's feet to the fire. Why didn't they offer this before? And Ford said they realy don't need the money. So....they shouldn't even be there.

I doubt they're going to make any "profit" off alternative energy cars. Toyota isn't able to make a profit off its Prius. What makes Ford or the other two think they can, certainly when their technology is behind that of the Japanese?

I'm not buyin it.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:21 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,806,705 times
AT least there is some hope for Ford. The CEO at least gives the illusion that he gets it. If his company needs money so badly to survive, then he and fellow executives better put on a show that appears that they are making sacrifices before going to Uncle Sam.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:24 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,505,269 times
Here is the more helpful question -- What else can we get these guys to do for the money . . .

since we know from experience that these morons will not build cars folks want for money . . . .

Like maybe will the CEOs quit for money? That would seem a benefit for most everyone.

Maybe they will go on the briefcase money babes show -- what is it called? Deal or No Deal? We will call it the Bailout or No Bailout edition. At least that would entertain US.

Maybe a Biggest Loser game show. They can lose money instead of weight. These guys seem like pretty natural big losers.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:52 PM

7,485 posts, read 10,441,711 times
What he isn't saying:

He owns a lot of stock in the company. If Ford goes kaput, this guy loses, big-time.

We gotta look at all the angles...they do!

Old 12-02-2008, 01:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,193,087 times
And he could pull an "AIG move" of getting a retention bonus that's really NOT a salary.
There's more loopholes than swiss cheese in what these guys can do to make money.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:30 PM

5,465 posts, read 12,201,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And he could pull an "AIG move" of getting a retention bonus that's really NOT a salary.
There's more loopholes than swiss cheese in what these guys can do to make money.
Agreed, agreed.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:14 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,575,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
What he isn't saying:

He owns a lot of stock in the company. If Ford goes kaput, this guy loses, big-time.

We gotta look at all the angles...they do!
That is exactly why he is going out of his way to save the company....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics