Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:45 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I would support a gas tax to go directly back to the tax payers. $-4-5 gas will help create those markets, keep buying power in the hands of people, and force real savings instead of currency hoarding which half people in this forum thinks is "saving". Sure we could have funded a cure for cancer, but look, my mattress is full of dead presidents
why would you tax people and then give the money back to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 11:02 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
You have to have children 5 years old and under to be eligible.

Food Stamps

INCOME RESTRICTIONS
  • GROSS income limit for most households is 130% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL). When calculating income, use the FPL chart for the previous year until October 1. (i.e. the chart that is effective April 1 for most programs is not effective for
    SNAP until October 1.)
  • Households with an elderly (ages 60+) or disabled member do not have to meet a gross income limit. Instead, shelter, medical, and other qualifying expenses are deducted from gross income. After deductions, the net income cannot be more than 100% of the FPL.
  • Combat pay is not included as income.
ASSET RESTRICTIONS
  • ASSET limit is $2,000. (Exception: if there is at least one person in the household who is disabled or age 60+, then the asset limit is $3,000.)
  • Not all assets count toward the asset limit.
  • The value of a house a person owns and lives in is not counted and a lien is not placed on a home.
  • Retirement and education saavings accounts are not counted as assets.
  • Effective 7/1/07 no amount of the value of a car is counted as an asset.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:08 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Thanks for the good luck wish, but I wasn't asking because I need it (WIC). LOL

I'm single, employed, and have no children.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:17 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Would you support an increase in the gas tax to go towards public transportation?
It would create jobs: bus manufacturers, trail manufacturers, bus drivers, rail drivers,etc.
The increase in the gas tax would also spur companies to create more fuel efficient cars.

I think cars will always play a role but I'd like to see Americans really have a choice when it comes to transportation. In some parts of the country, you pretty much have to drive a car to get around.
Here is the biter... I support public transporation WITH a SUNSET clause... meaning after it is built, it MUST be self-sufficient (i.e. people who use it pay into maintaining it)... I do not support public transporation that collects from BOTH the users and the public... many of these public transporation funded by taxpayers money almost never have a sunset clause and that is the government's way of weaseling into your wallets... on a good year, they will take funds for public transportation and line someone else's pockets... on a bad year, they increase everyone's taxes and it NEVER goes down... on another good year, they have even MORE money to line their pockets... that's why I never trust the government to do the right thing and neither should anyone else... when it comes to MILLIONS to BILLIONS of dollars, SOMEBODY WILL GET GREEDY...

Old 12-05-2008, 11:40 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,749 times
I support American business.
I shop Walmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post
Want jobs?

Don't buy cheap foreign imports.
Don't create policies that further burden businesses.
Don't disincentivize entrepreneurship with higher taxes.

In other words, support US business....

Old 12-05-2008, 12:06 PM

20,722 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
why would you tax people and then give the money back to them?
To create a disincentive to consume energy in excess while not keeping them from spending it on something else. Its a reverse subsidy. If they kept the proceeds now, it won't matter , we will be on the way to a full stop.
The other problem is we face a 70's repeat of alternative energy facing a killing frost yet again.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:12 PM

that is disproportionately punishing to truck drivers and others who have kept our country supplied with food / goods, so i do not support a gas tax whatsoever.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
that is disproportionately punishing to truck drivers and others who have kept our country supplied with food / goods, so i do not support a gas tax whatsoever.
Get the truckdrivers off the road..make better use of freight trains and only use truckers locally.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:21 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I remember the recession in the early 90s; I was one of the unemployed, in fact. I lost my job in mid-'93 and existed on my back vacation pay, severance (which was pretty generous for my eight years working for the same company), and unemployment benefits for six months. I live in Southern California, and if you all remember, the Northridge earthquake hit in January '94. That further depressed the L.A. economy, especially here in the San Fernando Valley. I was lucky to get a temp job typing up earthquake inspection reports!

I think my job is safe right now, but my industry isn't. I work for a brokerage firm; the brokers and assistants (I am one) are safe, but all bets are off for anyone else, especially the investment banking side. It's a scary time to be a Wall Street employee!

Old 12-05-2008, 12:29 PM

i think it is a scary time to have almost any kind of job in this environment. i can't think of one industry that is completely safe with things going the way they are starting to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics