Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:49 PM

980 posts, read 1,146,010 times

Advertisements

Somebody said somewhere that home prices should be around 3 times wages. I know that The BLS says average wages are around 40k, but that seems like a load of statistical bull crap to me. Suze Orman put it around 20k per year. As in, that's what most people make!

Fine, I'm good with the 10 bucks an hour figure. So then, homes should cost about 60k. With 20% down (12 grand), payments on a 30 year mortgage should be around $333.00 per month (plus taxes and insurance). Wow, that's cheaper than renting a one bedroom apartment!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 11:31 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,540,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
Somebody said somewhere that home prices should be around 3 times wages. I know that The BLS says average wages are around 40k, but that seems like a load of statistical bull crap to me. Suze Orman put it around 20k per year. As in, that's what most people make!

Fine, I'm good with the 10 bucks an hour figure. So then, homes should cost about 60k. With 20% down (12 grand), payments on a 30 year mortgage should be around $333.00 per month (plus taxes and insurance). Wow, that's cheaper than renting a one bedroom apartment!!!
The number part of your math may be correct, but I think you are missing the model.

The BLS numbers are usually HOUSEHOLD income -- anymore that is typically a two-earner family, or someone with a job and a half. That is probably the difference between the salary cited and the net results.

Taking that a step further -- back at household income levels -- at $40K X 3 = $120K, or payments double what you were figuring. Add in insurance, property taxes, maintenance costs, and you are up to around $1000 / mo. for that same household.

But those income numbers vary widely by location -- as do the houses. City Data (this site) covers those number very well on the main front page (City-Data.com). Just type in any city/state of interest and it will give you all these stats.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:41 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,540,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Do you think I'll have time for one last shopping spree? I'd like to get my wardrobe in order before all goes to hell.

Or maybe I should focus on functional clothes, like rubber boots and warm jacket to get me through....

*Sigh*

Import shipments of clothes heading to US are supposed to be dropping something like 70% this last quarter.

First Rule of Business is: The Customer MUST have money. We aint got the money, and folks around the world seem to be smart enough to slow or stop the shipping to US.

I'll be doing my Doomer shopping and stock up at my favorite haberdashery -- The Salvation Army Outlet Store.

See you there?

Old 12-11-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
The number part of your math may be correct, but I think you are missing the model.

The BLS numbers are usually HOUSEHOLD income -- anymore that is typically a two-earner family, or someone with a job and a half. That is probably the difference between the salary cited and the net results.

Taking that a step further -- back at household income levels -- at $40K X 3 = $120K, or payments double what you were figuring. Add in insurance, property taxes, maintenance costs, and you are up to around $1000 / mo. for that same household.

But those income numbers vary widely by location -- as do the houses. City Data (this site) covers those number very well on the main front page (City-Data.com). Just type in any city/state of interest and it will give you all these stats.
Actually, I'm pretty sure Orman was talking household income as well. In any case, one job should be enough!

In regards to home prices, average home prices are 191k.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:18 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,156,795 times
I think cheap energy will bring back the economy some day, that's all you need for it to boom once the credit thing works itself out in a decade or so. Maybe those new micro nuclear plants by Hyperion will do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Do you think I'll have time for one last shopping spree? I'd like to get my wardrobe in order before all goes to hell.

Or maybe I should focus on functional clothes, like rubber boots and warm jacket to get me through....

*Sigh*
Goretex boots are much more comfortable and safe than rubber. Rei.com and LL Bean are reasonably fashionable names (at least among men, dunno about women) and have some practical AND pretty women's apparel.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:44 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
RubberFactory, Patriotism implies a willingness to make sacrifices for the good of The Nation.
Like paying higher taxes, or taking a bullet from an AK-47 somewhere in the eastern hemisphere?

My patriotism has limits.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Like paying higher taxes, or taking a bullet from an AK-47 somewhere in the eastern hemisphere?

My patriotism has limits.
Like paying 10% more for a pair of shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics