U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 03:13 PM

90 posts, read 312,131 times

Advertisements

I heard a guy on TV who argued that we should not bail out anyone or provide any stimulus or do anything other than let the free market get us out of the recession.

What do you think, if we used a free market approach to the recession with no massive stimulus or bailouts, would there be a better or worse economy a year or two from now?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 04:00 PM

20,545 posts, read 28,443,562 times
There is no crystal ball and everyone has varying opinions. Mine- there should be absolutely no bailouts and no stimulus packages. If a business has a good business plan, produces a good product, and offers their workers fair pay they wouldn't need a bailout. As far as banks, greed got them into the mess they are in and they should have to pay the price. Instead the big companies are being rewarded and the small companies that tried to do it right are getting screwed. Same goes for greedy people using their home equities and credit cards like banks. Come on, you really didn't know that at some point you wold have to pay it back.

I think our govt right now is just a bunch of enablers and we will never learn to change "for the better" until they cut the apron strings.

Stimulus packages again wouldn't be needed if our economy wasn't based on fake money.

We all need to learn a big lesson with business and personal finances. This country's spending and debt is out of control. There should be no government interference with business.

I don't know the final outcome of that but right now we are just prolonging it.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:04 PM

5,726 posts, read 10,854,950 times
In the short term, I think we would have a tougher economic time without any bailouts, but would probably be healthier in the long-term. But how bad it would be, and how long it would last, who knows?

Old 12-06-2008, 04:07 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,765,055 times
credit would have froze that's for damn sure. but where there is a way there is a will

Old 12-06-2008, 05:08 PM

3,306 posts, read 3,768,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Stimulus packages again wouldn't be needed if our economy wasn't based on fake money.
We have fake money? I didn't know! It always seems to work when I need to use it.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:08 PM

20,190 posts, read 22,178,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
credit would have froze that's for damn sure. but where there is a way there is a will
you mean it hasn't already? I have had four credit cards closed due to "inactivity"... altogether, I have lost 150k worth of credit... not that I need it... I still have over 80k worth of credit... and I still use only one credit card..

Old 12-06-2008, 05:11 PM

20,190 posts, read 22,178,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
We have fake money? I didn't know! It always seems to work when I need to use it.
It doesn't always work... the dollar you got out of the bank didn't get you a full dollar when the price of bread went up.. part of your money was fake and hence you got less even though it was the same dollar you earned that day... that's the whole theory behind inflation isn't it? That your dollar is worth less and less every year... and with all those bailouts and stimulus.. I am curious on how much the dollar will be worth in the near future..

Old 12-06-2008, 05:15 PM

3,306 posts, read 3,768,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
It doesn't always work... the dollar you got out of the bank didn't get you a full dollar when the price of bread went up.. part of your money was fake and hence you got less even though it was the same dollar you earned that day... that's the whole theory behind inflation isn't it?
So only part of the money is fake? Perhaps I could cut the fake part off?

Old 12-06-2008, 05:22 PM

1,850 posts, read 4,291,265 times
you could. But you would have to 1) educate yourself about the problem 2) acknowledge there is a problem and 3) have the collective sack to fight the system into abolishing the institutions and mechanisms that make the so-called 'part that is fake' of your money, as you skeptically put it. From your post it seems you don't recognize the problem or choose to believe there is not a problem with our monetary system, and the connection to your eroding purchasing power.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:24 PM

9,043 posts, read 12,257,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Interestingly enough, I've been witnessing an increasing amount of ads on craigslist's for sale section where the items are not purchasable with dollars (only silver or in some cases gold). I've already sold my old television, laptop, and home theatre system for silver, both "junk" silver and SAEs. Dollars are fake enough to me that I don't accept them for my things. Whether by principle or not, that is the reality of the matter.

Yeah, I hardly get responses since people will just assume you're not for real, but yes I have gotten enough responses to actually sell my stuff.

Don't forget there's a monpoly (no pun intended) on the money supply. Try asking your employer to pay you with gold, and see how that works for the good ol' w-2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics