Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 04:53 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,962,668 times

Advertisements

I'm a big proponent of the "scratch and dent" store.

$3 for a #10 can of tomatoes, two of those and I have almost five gallons of fresh, homemade San Marzano tomato sauce that my friends absolutely love me for. I'll use half, and give the rest away. Makes great pastas, manicotti, pizza, you name it.

I also can buy ribeye for $3/lb, fish for $1/lb, and pre-smoked pork ribs for $1/lb. Sometimes more processed than I would like, but honestly you can't beat the price.

I fix most of my own things. My husband and I build custom furniture as a hobby and to make a little extra cash. I barter with a friend for his home-brewed beers and wines. Eating out is our big vice, but we do that with coupons and specials.

I even make shampoos and soaps when I'm feeling creative. It all depends on my mood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 10:04 AM

268 posts, read 817,233 times
If I get laid off my plan is to dump the cable TV, internet, land line. Put one of our vehicles non-op and drop the insurance on it. Shop at the warehouse grocery store, mostly potatoes, rice and beans. Put in a bigger garden. If I want meat to feed my family, hunt fish. Go to the government food distribution center for the $.75 grocer bags of food. Sign up for unemployment. Go to the emergency room for any medical problem and fill out the financial form that I only have unemployment as my sole source of income. Sign up for food stamps, I will definitely qualify. It really wouldn't be that much of a change for me as we have always lived like starving students all our lives. I know people who live in major denial that the economy will not effect them. They are just burning up the credit cards.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:23 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Here, I'll throw you a bone to chew on: Kurt Saxon wrote about some hardcore frugal prepping ideas, such as using bulk whole grains or raising catfish in a barrel.
Thanks, Woof.

I'll come back to this later when I need help falling asleep again. ZZZzzzzz

Old 12-18-2008, 04:50 PM

7 posts, read 9,797 times
Default cheap great easy cookies

okay heres one for you

wait till you see cake mixes on sale for 75 cents a box, duncan hines,pillsbury any of those, like this week albertsons had them on sale for that price...

one box of cake mix, 1/2 cup vegetable oil and 2 eggs, mix all up and you just take a small ball,flatten out slighly and you have wonderful soft cookies. makes about 2 dozen for a buck..if you use white cake mix, wonderul sugar cookies. very soft and delish...

you can use different flavors and add chocolate chips like for chocolate cake mix....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics