U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 11:55 AM

90 posts, read 305,487 times

Advertisements

The main talk at the social and family events I go to now a days is the terrible economy. The other topic is ways to cut spending, save money, pay down credit cards and ways to be frugal. I expect others are like this also.

For those that manage to hold on to their jobs, a few years from now there may be a huge pent up desire to spend money. All those purchases that people are putting off in 2009 will eventually need to be made. Or will they? Maybe people will learn to live with less which will not bode well for an economy that depends on consumers spending all kinds of money on things they really do not need.

Maybe our recession will last for years and get worse year by year as companies lose hope that consumers will go back to previous spending patterns and then layoff staff that serviced that spending. The downward spiral will go further and further south.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 12:09 PM

12,869 posts, read 13,680,276 times
spending will not fix our economy, but there is still hope for america. we have huge resource supplies. we have huge natural gas reserves and large coal deposits. we have oil. we have other resources and some of the smartest people in the world. we could go back to a full 100% banking system. we are almost there with the banks being 95% funded. (approximately) if they did not spend that money it could be used to fund the banks. when trust is reestablished people would put their money into investments for production. there is money sitting on the sideline in america now because of fear, which is not going to go away with more bailouts and more debt. we could eliminate the fed and that would generate some money instantly.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:13 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,624,212 times
Come on down to Texas..the party is still going on here.
Most folks think Texas will "miss" this recession.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:30 PM

i think texas will be in a lot better shape for this "recession" than a lot of the country. if the south were to ever break off from the north, at least i am in florida.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:57 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,205,903 times
Back in August, Forbes magazine listed Oklahoma city as the #1 metro area to be in to ride out the recession. I must say, things don't look too bad here. Unemployment is low, houses are selling at moderate prices, and there are long lines at restaurants. We relocated from New Jersey just about a year ago, and since they're practically bankrupt, I think we made a good move.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:43 PM

20,194 posts, read 21,505,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by political genius View Post
The main talk at the social and family events I go to now a days is the terrible economy. The other topic is ways to cut spending, save money, pay down credit cards and ways to be frugal. I expect others are like this also.

For those that manage to hold on to their jobs, a few years from now there may be a huge pent up desire to spend money. All those purchases that people are putting off in 2009 will eventually need to be made. Or will they? Maybe people will learn to live with less which will not bode well for an economy that depends on consumers spending all kinds of money on things they really do not need.

Maybe our recession will last for years and get worse year by year as companies lose hope that consumers will go back to previous spending patterns and then layoff staff that serviced that spending. The downward spiral will go further and further south.
You should tell that to the millions of idiots that bought FULL-PRICED goods on black friday... I was appalled at their spending... and thinking why on earth are these people paying full retail price?? Did they get "fooled" by the media that there would be deep discounts... I bet there will be lots of returns... for some reason people stop "thinking" when they hear certain words...

Old 12-10-2008, 04:12 PM

15,971 posts, read 8,205,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by political genius View Post
The other topic is ways to cut spending, save money, pay down credit cards and ways to be frugal. I expect others are like this also.
You're blessed to have smart people in your family.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:29 PM

2,172 posts, read 7,106,056 times
I had to make runs to Wal-Mart, Target and the local mall over the last couple of days in the 5-6 p.m. slot. Usually jammed then but it couldn't be helped. I was dreading it but was stunned at how uncrowded the parking lots and the stores were. I haven't seen so few people out shopping at that hour in ages. Only one person ahead of me at the checkout at Wal-mart, nobody at Target. Unreal.
Knoxville hasn't been hit that hard overall. Gas is down to $1.59 or less a gallon. Restaurants are still busy. Just nobody buying. Even Petsmart wasn't that bad.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:30 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,205,903 times
I went to a mall in NJ while I was visiting for Thanksgiving weekend. It was the Saturday after thanksgiving. The mall was packed, but I made purchases in four different stores and each time there was NO ONE in line ahead of me. Sooooo, people were at the mall, but nobody was buying!

Old 12-10-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Back in August, Forbes magazine listed Oklahoma city as the #1 metro area to be in to ride out the recession. I must say, things don't look too bad here. Unemployment is low, houses are selling at moderate prices, and there are long lines at restaurants. We relocated from New Jersey just about a year ago, and since they're practically bankrupt, I think we made a good move.
you are smart. new jersey debt grew 2.2 billion in that 1 year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics