Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: would you support a big 3 merger?
no 6 37.50%
yes, GM and chrysler 7 43.75%
yes, GM, chrysler, and ford 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 06:04 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times

Advertisements

if the auto industry would not get their money through the president or federal reserve, would you support a merger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 06:20 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
For better and for worse, the trend in the globalizing environment in certain industries is for bigger and bigger cross-border companies and/or alliances. In the auto industry, the precursors have been Renault and Nissan, though other attempts have failed (Ford-FIAT, Daimler-Chrysler).

I believe the open skies agreement between the US and Europe for the airline industry is now in force.

In the US, the banking industry has consolidated around three money-center banks and two investment banks now with commercial bank charters, and I expect those numbers to decrease and cross-border mergers in the next several years, maybe even within a year, first among US and European banks, then Asian, and after that Latin American.

As for the domestic US auto firms, one of the major issues is the cost of labor and so-called legacy costs. What do you think is more likely:

1) the standard of living for the average worker globally will tend to rise to US/European standards of the 1950s-1990s levels, or

2) the standard of living for the average worker globally will tend to decrease towards, say, Chinese or Brazilian levels?

Take stock of the numbers and do the math.

Starting from a global perspective, the overall standard of living will rise, but not to US/European levels of the "golden age".

Old 12-12-2008, 06:32 AM

90 posts, read 331,480 times
Mergers of huge Fortune 500 Companies like banking where they have incredible ability to control the industry and prices, has not worked very well. Many companies are getting so large that they become to big to fail, like AIG. When there is only one car company in America then we will see a situation where there is little reason to be innovative or cut costs.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:33 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
I definitely want to see the Big 3 starting to do something for themselves, before coming to the taxpayers, hands extended, asking for a bailout so that they can continue "business as usual".

These are businesses for heaven's sakes...and sometimes businesses FAIL. Mine could. Just what chance would I have of getting a bailout??? Zero! But before it ever got to that, I'd be out there, contacting other guys in the same business, asking about mergers, business deals, or even going into reorganization (in which case, you're still in business).

Whatever are the Big 3 thinking? They say that negotiations with the UAW "will take time". Well, if we don't give 'em any money, maybe that would speed things up!

Old 12-12-2008, 07:05 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
I would like to see Chrysler fail as I would like to reproduce some of their classic cars in the future if I ever get into the auto business. Would also like to see the end of the current UAW and new competitive unions mixed with non-union employees.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by political genius View Post
Mergers of huge Fortune 500 Companies like banking where they have incredible ability to control the industry and prices, has not worked very well. Many companies are getting so large that they become to big to fail, like AIG. When there is only one car company in America then we will see a situation where there is little reason to be innovative or cut costs.
Quote:
tallrick
Would also like to see the end of the current UAW and new competitive unions mixed with non-union employees.
To be sure, the record of big-time mergers, including the auto industry, is spotty.

Again, for better and for worse, that is the trend. Also the trend is for the relative wages of average workers to come down towards a lower standard than what prevailed in "golden age" US/Europe: part of this struggle now with the US Big 3 is to come into line with this trend.

I'm not saying that I like it or don't like it, it's simply what I see.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:25 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,595 times
In a merger, what happen with the UAW agreements? Are they voided?

Old 12-12-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
In a merger, what happen with the UAW agreements? Are they voided?
I think the only way for the UAW agreements to be voided would be a chapter 11 bankruptcy procedure involving two or all three of the Big 3.

At that point, everything would be up for renegotiation.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:41 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
evidently, they don't have to do any of this because it looks like they are going to get their bailout from the TARP money. bush never met a spending package that he did not like. i would be glad to see just one political party be conservative in their spending, especially on these risky ventures.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:06 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,602 times
3 big, sick companies will not be cured by becoming one big sick company. Can anyone remember British Leyland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics