U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 11:39 AM

26,661 posts, read 40,589,239 times

Advertisements

I Made a Promise and I Stand By It « FOX Forum « FOXNews.com

I have to be honest with you. I woke up this morning with a heavy heart. I went to sleep last night knowing that the auto bailout bill failed 52-35 in the Senate. I truly believe our representatives made the right decision. I am very much against any taxpayer money being spent on bailing out the Big Three. I believe in this so much that I even wrote a letter to the CEOs of Chrysler, Ford, GM and UAW chief Ron Gettelfinger on Tuesday. Click here to read it.

In that letter, I challenged Chrysler, Ford and GM to break their union contracts. I believe that the UAW’s contract with our domestic auto companies is like throwing a drowning victim an anchor. The only way to save our auto industry is through a structured bankruptcy which would enable them to break the UAW chokehold.

Back to my heavy heart….I was saddened that we are in this predicament as a nation. I recall the pride my dad had bringing home a new car (always a GM car — either an Oldsmobile or a Buick). I felt vindicated that the Big Three will now have to work hard to regain that pride in their cars. It is a shame they let the UAW become so powerful.

I promised to buy a car from each of the three Detroit automakers who chose to restructure rather than take bailout money. I stand by that promise.

Sadness and concern turned to outrage at 10 a.m. this morning while listening to Gettelfinger address the world. In his rambling speech, he defended the ridiculousness of his contract. He pointed his finger at the senators who voted against bailing out the Big Three. He acted like the victim not the cause of the failing U.S. auto industry. This guy is rolling the dice. His bet…that money gets directed to Detroit through TARP or other appropriations. He is willing to risk the livelihood of the very members he represents on this bet. Mr. Gettelfinger, so far, craps.

click on the link to read more....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 12:15 PM

12,869 posts, read 13,424,154 times
the UAW said not to blame the union but to blame the economy. if that is true, how can they turn GM around with our current economic situation? i understand GM workers want their jobs preserved, but a lot of americans won't be buying new GM or foreign cars. many americans are starting to turn away from the debt treadmill.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:09 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,489,922 times
The BIG 3 have proven they clearly do not know how to run a business.

Why do you think the bailout is going to save jobs? Chances are they'll send everything overseas to cut down on spending anyhow.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:29 PM

347 posts, read 1,213,285 times
They can't send "everything" overseas even if they get the LOAN.
It's not that easy to outsource and still get the same competitiveness.

BTW, have AIG and Citigroup proven that they clearly know how to run a business?
And even after getting a BAILOUT, why don't we see the credit flowing?

Old 12-12-2008, 02:35 PM

20,521 posts, read 27,018,476 times
They don't deserve a bailout for running the companies into the ground. On top of that Chrysler is a "private" company. They shouldn't even be considered for a bailout.

I own an American car and it is a piece of junk. The prices aren't even coming down on American cars. They are not even trying to improve.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:49 AM

17,031 posts, read 27,539,223 times
If they give a bailout, which industry will be next in line? Steel, airlines?

Old 12-14-2008, 10:56 AM

5,090 posts, read 10,038,162 times
Did anyone actually read that first post?

It is moronic in that the vote was 52-35 FOR the bill in a TEST vote.

THAT was where the D "Leadership" stopped it "out of fear" of a filibuster, and the rest of the D's went along.

This whole premise is nonsense. If the D's wanted this, they could have put it up to a vote and dared the R's to filibuster.

It never did fail. It was never even actually voted on.

This is political theater for the Moron Mass of America.

The "Bust the Union" routine is part of selling the US out to the Transnational Corporations.

I truly live in a country of idiots.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:21 AM

5,500 posts, read 20,489,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Did anyone actually read that first post?

It is moronic in that the vote was 52-35 FOR the bill in a TEST vote.

THAT was where the D "Leadership" stopped it "out of fear" of a filibuster, and the rest of the D's went along.

This whole premise is nonsense. If the D's wanted this, they could have put it up to a vote and dared the R's to filibuster.

It never did fail. It was never even actually voted on.

This is political theater for the Moron Mass of America.

The "Bust the Union" routine is part of selling the US out to the Transnational Corporations.

I truly live in a country of idiots.
Thanks, Phil for calling us all idiots.

Who are the transnationals we are selling out to?

Woofers

Old 12-15-2008, 09:07 AM

5,090 posts, read 10,038,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Thanks, Phil for calling us all idiots.
Well, I guess you know it is nothing personal . . . but look around, tell me what you see?

Quote:
Who are the transnationals we are selling out to?

Woofers
Are you sincerely not familiar with this?

There are multiple sources, but if you would like -- An older but well-worth-the-time "Charley Rose" covers this pretty well.

YouTube - Charlie Rose November 15 1994

Just click the sound on in the background and give a listen while doing something real. This has been going down for some years and both the top-end R and D (which are basically the corporate political arms of these same folks) have been promoting and aiding in this.

That show is from the mid 1990's and James Goldsmith called everything right down the line.

The nonsense from the Clinton era trade rep could be verbatim of any R or D trade rep.

All BS, All Sell Out.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:38 PM

3,306 posts, read 3,552,724 times
I'm listening to that interview while I type. Its always interesting to listen to these sorts of things years after the fact...

What is that lady doing today? I hope it involves potatoes and hot oil....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or