Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 12:20 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,154,654 times

Advertisements

Its truly odd that there is such hostility toward the auto bailout despite being relatively small where as 100's times this amount is being used to bailout idiotic financial institutions.

If you're going to block such things, block it all. Let the system collapse, of course those in congress are wealthy and if the established system collapsed so would their wealth....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 12:21 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times
To some extent, I see where you're coming from; however at the time it was thought that "saving wall st." would benefit us all, including the auto industry and other businesses.

Of course, many of us knew it was just a pandora's box and a slippery slope.

Hard to get a grip and stop the slide now...

Old 12-12-2008, 12:31 PM

The amount of resistance to help working Americans is amazing....it says a lot about where this country has gone.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:31 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,095 times
Humo, I agree. I find this fascinating and distinctly bizarre. What's $15 billion for the auto industry amount to? Not much compared to the lists of zeros on the financial industry bailout numbers.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:32 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
there is no hostility. there is just realization that their numbers don't work. GM has too many retirees for too few employees and they will have to cut jobs to keep functioning, which would give them even more retirees. they are going to fail on the course they are on, whether they get taxpayer money or not. i prefer that taxpayer money is not involved in their failure but obviously taxpayers don't get a say. by the way, they are lying about the numbers. they want 15 billion now but they would have to get 110 billion more with their current rate of production.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:36 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times
And, it's a slippery slope.

Hey, my interior design firm is failing and I just laid off my assistant. Can I get some bailout action as well?

Look at all the industries that have their hands out waiting for some money.

We must BITE THE BULLET so our grandkids don't have to.

It's coming regardless, why not just take our punishment now rather than putting it off?

Old 12-12-2008, 01:41 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Its truly odd that there is such hostility toward the auto bailout despite being relatively small where as 100's times this amount is being used to bailout idiotic financial institutions.
If financial institutions are not solvent, then people will have to start saving in their mattresses.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:51 PM

658 posts, read 1,785,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post

If you're going to block such things, block it all. Let the system collapse, of course those in congress are wealthy and if the established system collapsed so would their wealth....
Agreed. Especially when we have spend $700 billion to save the banks, who are the one who started this mess. Futhermore, we spend about $12 billion in one month in Iraq, for a war that we still cannot even name a reason for.

We can't continue to function with this Wal-Mart strategy we've adopted. Japan, China, Korea, Italy and France all support their automotive manufacturers. The US cannot be a world player if you can't even support our core manufacturing.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Hey, my interior design firm is failing and I just laid off my assistant. Can I get some bailout action as well?
The US isn't in particular need of interior design firms, manufacturing on the other hand is rather important right now. Especially considering its been hallowed out by the same people that are receiving the largest bailouts.

If the government lets the US autos fail...its going to cost more in the long run. When you are standing in the soup line....remember your ideology.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippingJay View Post
The US cannot be a world player if you can't even support our core manufacturing.
I might, just might have agreed with you if they had a good business model.
But they don't..Honda and Toyota here in the US did much better and have a better model. Honda and Toyota can take over and become "The Big Two" and would probably make a better go of it. I would rather loan money to companies that change with the times instead of trying to maintain the status quo at all costs and then turn to the government for a handout when they can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics