U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you prefer a federal tax credit towards the purchase of a "Big 3" vehicle, in lieu o
Yes 9 36.00%
No 15 60.00%
I'm not sure 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 01:57 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,840,462 times

Advertisements

why the **** should they get any help

try not running your business like ****
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 03:14 PM

6,287 posts, read 9,078,441 times
the products suck that is why people are not buying them simple as that.

if their products suck then it means they have a problem and throwing money at them or bribing people to buy their crappy products is not a solution. They need to make CHANGE, there is no way around that. They need to file Chapter 11 bankruptcy and make radical changes starting with wage cuts to bring them in line with realities. Imagine what would happen if a fast food company paid it's burger flippers $25/hr and on top of that made lousy burgers...they would be bankrupt so would we bail them out? Of course not, same applies to the automakers.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:08 PM

706 posts, read 1,186,834 times
While I am not a supporter of bailouts or helping dinosaurs get up and roam, it is a fair point that nearly all other countries subsidize their automakers. Japan, korea, and parts of EU, as well as China all have their hands in the cookie jar. I did some looking recently and both Ford and GM have some pretty good product out there, albeit mostly new stuff so we will have to see the reliability.

Would love to see the government give $30 billion in grants to some young entrepeneurs and let them start a car business anew. This country still has the best creative geniuses in the world and they could probably stand the industry on it's head with some capital. But not the current dinosaurs and the poor labor relations they have fostered.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:59 PM

43,857 posts, read 45,499,500 times
Why not offer a federal tax credit to consumers who purchase from "Big 3"?

What a great idea! Maybe you should email your idea to a major cable news network. Maybe they will read it online and see if others feel the same way.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:34 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,748,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
the products suck that is why people are not buying them simple as that.

if their products suck then it means they have a problem and throwing money at them or bribing people to buy their crappy products is not a solution. They need to make CHANGE, there is no way around that. They need to file Chapter 11 bankruptcy and make radical changes starting with wage cuts to bring them in line with realities. Imagine what would happen if a fast food company paid it's burger flippers $25/hr and on top of that made lousy burgers...they would be bankrupt so would we bail them out? Of course not, same applies to the automakers.

Not really sure what you mean by sucks. My buisness has 8 small trucks. Five Chevrolets, two Fords, and one Toyota. The Toyota is a piece of junk. My trucks are driven very hard and always pulling a trailer. The only reason I bought the Toyota was the dealer has been bugging me for years to get my buisness. So they practicly gave me the truck and I definatly know I will never buy another one again. Might be good for getting groceries but don't put it to work!

Old 12-13-2008, 07:39 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,474 posts, read 14,152,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Why the big 3? I can buy a Toyota designed and assembled in the US that has a higher domestic content than a car from the big 3.
When I bought my wife's first car, we bought used. We went to the Toyota place and got steered towards a used Geo Prizm. My wife was hesitant; it wan't "Japanese."

I flipped the hood and pointed at the radiator cap. On it, written in English was "Do not open while hot." Underneath that, the same thing was written in....whaddy know....Japanese. I explained to her that the engine and powertrain (And I guess the radiator cap) were all Japanese parts. GM slapped on a few other parts, and BAM! ---> It's an "American" car, made in the U.S.A.

We bought it.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:56 PM

303 posts, read 1,453,219 times
The big 3 should reduce the costs of their cars and their trucks in order to clear their inventory--creating market equilibrium. THEY need to figure out what they need to do in order to generate revenue and need to stop using my tax dollars.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:05 PM

8,778 posts, read 17,191,643 times
I think some may be a little confused about the objective of the poll that i've posted. I didn't intend for this thread to be a "screw them and their problems" diatribe. Please discuss the merits of the question as it was posed. There are plenty of other threads on C-D where "you" can vent over the actual subsidy. Thanks folks.

WOULD YOU PREFER A FEDERAL TAX CREDIT, IN LIEU OF "BAILOUT LOANS", TOWARDS THE PURCHASE OF A U.S. ASSEMBLED VEHICLE, FROM THE BIG 3?

Old 12-13-2008, 08:25 PM

303 posts, read 1,453,219 times
No. You portray that the subsidy would be a tariff, if that's so, then that would create some inefficiencies in other markets. Because the US has lowered prices on its cars, another country may reduce its price in vehicles because it can afford to. I don't think that the big 3 are in any position to compete with another country that's able to make a more affordable car.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:15 AM

26,661 posts, read 40,589,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So you are advocating that people go into more debt to save a company for the sake of saving it ?
That isn't what the OP stated. People like I..I have never bought a car using a car loan...just paid cash!!!

That is called buy within your means! Don't buy if you can't afford it or buy a little inexpensive car...Why are people having expensive cars in their drive way just to look rich and behave like they are rich, while they don't pay their bills?
I look at these fools as losers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or