U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 05:35 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,917,769 times

Advertisements

Cook Medical Group is a maker of medical devices (catheters, stents, guide wires, etc) based in Bloomington Indiana. Today, the company announced the opening of a manufacturing plant in the small rural town of Canton Illinois.
Plans announced for new plant on the former International Harvester site - Peoria, IL - pjstar.com

While the US is losing manufacturing jobs in the automotive industry, here we have an American corporation adding high paying jobs in a different niche in manufacturing: medical devices. The point being, it's not all bad news out there. The US can still compete in manufacturing, provided we refocus our efforts from making toys and cars to more essential (and research intensive) products such as drugs and medical devices: things that can't be easily replicated overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 08:10 PM

9,324 posts, read 24,283,776 times
Those medical devices can be produced cheaper in India and China. Bet on it. The only thing saving the medical industry in the US is heavy government regulation that prevents low cost drugs and devices from being sold. The future will see more medical travel overseas which will crush the overinflated US medical industry.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:49 PM

4,429 posts, read 5,813,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Those medical devices can be produced cheaper in India and China. Bet on it. The only thing saving the medical industry in the US is heavy government regulation that prevents low cost drugs and devices from being sold. The future will see more medical travel overseas which will crush the overinflated US medical industry.
I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. Medical devices and production of medicines just can't be safely handled by those countries. Look at the heparin disaster the came out of china. Jesus china sure make sure to put melamine into every thing don't they.
I mean serious dude. Would you really trust the quality of a heart valve made in china? I don't know. If my life is on the line I pay more to make sure I get quality. Or perhaps less invasive would be a heart monitor or EKG monitor again will not as critical as a prosthetic, they just may be required to help keep you alive in dire circumstances. Now imagine some cheap Chinese EKG short out on you when you most need it. Yeah I not digging it.

Now don't get me wrong we do charge way too much for most things medical that's why I don't have a problem with people getting drugs from Canada. Or People leaving the U.S. for surgical procedure. Granted with the later I personally think your taking you chances in a lot of cases......but....Hey it your life. But the Idea of China and India making my Medicines I need or Medical devices I may need to rely on for life or limb is well.....quite unnerving.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:39 AM

One thing the US has - which other countries don't have - is the quantity and quality of our top research universities where the ideas for drugs and medical devices come from. As long as the US can maintain its edge in R & D (and this means maintaining our edge in top institutions like Harvard, MIT, Stanford, University of Chicago, Washington U, etc) the US will continue to be the lead innovator and producer in this arena. The key here is to maintain the scientific integrity of our research institutions and prevent politicians from politicizing science (eg George Bush banning cloning research for religious reasons).

Old 12-13-2008, 04:46 AM

Quote:
It's not a question of mass producing these drugs and devices. I'm sure China and India can mass produce these things much more cheaply. It's a question of inventing them in the first place. The US still has the edge in the area of innovation due to the breadth and depth of our research institutions.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:59 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,477,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
One thing the US has - which other countries don't have - is the quantity and quality of our top research universities where the ideas for drugs and medical devices come from. As long as the US can maintain its edge in R & D (and this means maintaining our edge in top institutions like Harvard, MIT, Stanford, University of Chicago, Washington U, etc) the US will continue to be the lead innovator and producer in this arena. The key here is to maintain the scientific integrity of our research institutions and prevent politicians from politicizing science (eg George Bush banning cloning research for religious reasons).

yeah, but what can you do when those innovative drugs that are designed and manufactured in the USA are much cheaper at pharmacies overseas than eg Walgreens or CVS? The US healthcare cries for a reform.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
yeah, but what can you do when those innovative drugs that are designed and manufactured in the USA are much cheaper at pharmacies overseas than eg Walgreens or CVS? The US healthcare cries for a reform.

You always need to be wary of counterfeits in the overseas markets. Especially if you try to buy the stuff on line. Again if you want to take your chances, that fine. But since I'm not a believer in reincarnation and believe you only got one go round. I'd rather not risk my health to save some money.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
The reason drugs sold overseas are cheap is because the American consumer is effectively subsidizing the health care of the rest of the world. The American drug companies can't make a profit selling drugs to Africa or Asia due to lack of purchasing power in these regions. So, the drug companies will have to recoup their investment selling the same drugs to Americans at high prices. If the drug companies are unable to make a profit anywhere in the world (including the US), they will stop manufacturing these drugs. They will stop innovating. You will then see the health conditions in all countries deteriorate further (including our own). The countries that will survive are those that have a strong research infrastructure where they can invent original drugs and devices for their own consumption, instead of relying on American innovation.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:22 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,477,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
You always need to be wary of counterfeits in the overseas markets. Especially if you try to buy the stuff on line. Again if you want to take your chances, that fine. But since I'm not a believer in reincarnation and believe you only got one go round. I'd rather not risk my health to save some money.

wtf are you saying. I was referring to European countries.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
wtf are you saying. I was referring to European countries.
You never stated that as such. So WTF?

Now with Europe in the end Ndfmnlf is right. Please read below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
The reason drugs sold overseas are cheap is because the American consumer is effectively subsidizing the health care of the rest of the world. The American drug companies can't make a profit selling drugs to Africa or Asia due to lack of purchasing power in these regions. So, the drug companies will have to recoup their investment selling the same drugs to Americans at high prices. If the drug companies are unable to make a profit anywhere in the world (including the US), they will stop manufacturing these drugs. They will stop innovating. You will then see the health conditions in all countries deteriorate further (including our own). The countries that will survive are those that have a strong research infrastructure where they can invent original drugs and devices for their own consumption, instead of relying on American innovation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or