Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2008, 06:55 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Let me see if I'm getting this right: AIG, the huge insurance company, has so far gotten $173 billion worth of federal aid, because traders at one small division made bets on exotic securities that were so calamitous they threatened to bring down the whole company. So far, the amount of money the feds have pledged to this one firm equals nearly one-third of the nation's defense budget.

Why AIG Gets Billions, GM Gets Scorn - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Why-AIG-Gets-Billions-GM-Gets-usnews-13819339.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 07:33 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times
Yeah, it should be obvious to anybody who's pockets our politicians are in. The failure of AIG does represent more systemic risk than the failure of GM, but the failure of both would shock the system right now. Considering the autos are asking for less than 1/10 of what AIG has gotten yet..its pretty weird.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:47 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
Again, with AIG, it was thought that as humanoid said, it would be a system-wide failure if they were allowed to go bottom-up. However, they need to be more closely scrutinized as they have thumbed their collective noses at the the taxpayer by flaunting their flagrant waste of funds. And quite frankly, if they continue to run their firm irresponsibly, I hope there is another that's able to pick up the pieces because I'm hoping at some point the money-tap will be shut off and we won't continue to reward their behavior.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:57 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Who is going to pay for all this? This country is just approaching ruin, quite literally.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:41 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Who is going to pay for all this?
Why the "rich" of course! All we need to do is tax those "greedy people" some more and all with be fine!

Of course the serious answer is:

We all will! Taxes will increase, inflation will increase, and our debt will take a higher and higher percentage of our budget and our GDP. As we've known for 40 years, Social Security is a fantasy, raided by Congresses and Presidents of both parties because they wouldn't face and address the problem. Taxes will have to go up...waaaaay up.

Now, as we enter the retirement years of the boomers, the government is going to be faced with many choices. We can become a European style tax and spend economy, with the government providing for your every need and taking 70% of your income, or we can get back on track and start finding ways to reverse from this self-destructive path we're on.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I was aginst the bailout of AIG alos. I reallty doubt that the bi9g three would ahve come up except for this. Before the bailout the big three were saying they were on track to recover. Now everyopne wants on the federal dole as they say.I also worry aboutt eh interest on the moeny the federal government has borrowed;which will cokme from txa dollars. In the 70's and the 80's recession we lower taxes( JFK did the same in the 60"s) to spur spending and cut governamnt spending.Now we seem to be increasing spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics