Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 03:17 PM

434 posts, read 1,080,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I been saying this for a year now and I am far from any financial genius. What we are about to experience is going to make the 1928 Great Depression look like just a blip on the map. We are in for a total and complete economic collapse. What is a total and complete economic collapse? No one knows, we never had one. But we will.
can you please hold it for a while so that I can prepare myself for shorting everything in sight?

I don't know exactly how bad or how fast it's going to be but I agree that the worse is still to come.

The difficult question is, how to make money out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 04:04 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,280 times
Let's brush aside things like ethics, sustainability, creditworthiness, etc for a moment and just look at the big picture.

The housing/credit bubbles were one of, if not THE biggest financial parties in this nations history. A lot of people enjoyed some really good times during those few years. Bulls outnumber bears by something like 10 to 1 here. It will NOT be soon forgotten. To stand or sit there and think that hopes, demands, and attempts to reinflate those bubbles is going to abate anytime soon is someone who's living in an even bigger fantasy land than those who played "The Greater Fool". Forget it. It got quickly ingrained into our DNA and will not be forgotten anytime soon. And as long as we choose to take the paths of least cost/resistance (which is human nature), some or all of those attempts will likely succeed in varying degrees.

Until both banks *AND* irresponsible borrowers (emphasis on both to avoid giving one side over the other some appearance of favoritism) are FORCED to accept financial losses up to and including hundreds of thousands of dollars-quite literally at gunpoint and/or being dragged off to reinstated debtors prisons kicking and screaming if necessary, you guys are all wasting your time.

That's how deeply the housing bubble is ingrained into our collective pshyches. Not until real people like Mr and Mrs Jones are literally murdered over it or dragged to prison will we snap out of it.

Yes. That's what it's going to take to give us the cold çock across the face we so desperately need. EVERYONE needs to pony up to their obligations irrespective of what the present and future markets do. Pay with it either out of their wallet. Or pay for it with their life.

Sadly, I don't see that happening. We will do what we always do: kick the can down the road forever. And when we catch up to it, pass the buck onto the backs of the taxpayers.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:33 AM

291 posts, read 414,003 times
That's how deeply the housing bubble is ingrained into our collective pshyches. Not until real people like Mr and Mrs Jones are literally murdered over it or dragged to prison will we snap out of it.

I see this too, there are still some very stable pockets of neighborhoods that had little speculation, but the few houses that fall under these bad
loans are a threat to the guy next door that has paid his debtor 20 years typically these stable payers are older conservative and are very pissed that the guy is living for free while the banks hide the bad deals.
It is still better to get the squatter out as soon as possible because it just
adds to the mindset if the guy next store gets 150k for nonperformance
then where's mine? the stable guy is being drug down by the losers!

Old 11-09-2009, 10:07 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
based on my local price research, combined with observations of local homeowner's perspectives, I have decided that the concept of the 'stable neighborhood' is mostly, but not entirely, a fantasy.

you didn't need to have bogus loans in your neighborhood to benefit from rising prices, and you don't need to have foreclosures in your neighborhood to suffer from falling prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics