U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 03:31 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,532,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
At this time of year ... I wonder if they repo the Christmas tree , and the presents for the kids.?.......The Repo guys are doing quite well , its going to be a great Christmas for most of them. One of the few areas that are hiring, check it out , maybe a place for a bright future.
I talked to a auto repo guy the other day , they too are booming. The Repo lots are getting overflowing . The guy said he was shopping for more land to expand his business. pawn shops are doing a land office business as well. many have expanded to include big ticket items , like exotic cars and yachts. Look for a lot of auctions coming up as well , .theres another good business to be in , auctioneering.
Well, pawnshops are a good business to be in until they have to sell the big ticket items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 04:07 PM

8,632 posts, read 14,225,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Well, pawnshops are a good business to be in until they have to sell the big ticket items.
It all has to do with a cash market place. Those with cash , will cash in big time in a depressed economy like this. If no one is buying , than the value of some of these expensive items is questionable. I have been told that the market is flooded with Bentleys, and , thats bringing down the value , no one wants one..........we went thru the same thing in the 30s , big expensive cars , like Cadillacs , Packards , Dusenbergs , were so hard to sell , and had lost almost all there value , that many just put them away in the back corner of the carriage house. One of the reasons so many are still around today. Too bad you can't do that with houses.......

Old 12-15-2008, 04:20 PM

3,306 posts, read 3,552,147 times
Wow, the mainstream gets the story what.....2 years after it was completely obvious?

It should be obvious at this point that the news as more to do with advertisement than.....you now informing the public.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:35 PM

16,092 posts, read 37,222,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I was lucky enough to find myself here in north texas but chose to stay once I realized there were numerous benefits rather than move to either coast.

Yep I live close to downtown Dallas, we have moderate appreciation, good schools, great independent shops/restaurants and an excellent rental market
(I own about a dozen properties - all holding their value). Also you can walk many places and public transportation (DART rail) is great. If you have to go to the coasts you can usually get an airline ticket for less than $300 and be there in a couple of hours.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:04 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,334,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
She admits that she did not read the paperwork and then she claims she was misled. That does not make any sense at all! You can see greed with a capital G written all over her miserable face!
I thought that woman's statement made no sense at all. Who buys anything without reading whats printed? Greedy people make no sense.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:58 PM

86,068 posts, read 74,627,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
I thought that woman's statement made no sense at all. Who buys anything without reading whats printed? Greedy people make no sense.
There are alot of under educated and misinformed people out there.
Throw some business people without ethics in there and you have a deadly mix.
Now have the President get on TV and proclaim and everyone in American should own a home and rates will come down in order to do that.

Go..ask someone you know if the Federal Reserve is part of the government ? You will either get an informed answer or they will look at you like you're crazy and tell you "of course it is" and they will really believe that.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:08 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,532,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Inside, most of us think we're kings and queens who should have been treated to a royal life of ease, beauty, and service from others.

So when there's an opportunity to slide into that sort of lifestyle, all too many people aren't willing to question it or treat it with skepticism.

Also there's a common cultural belief that we create our own reality with positive and happy thoughts, a belief that is peddled by films and TV because it is such a seductive idea. Unfortunately ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
....Go..ask someone you know if the Federal Reserve is part of the government ? You will either get an informed answer or they will look at you like you're crazy and tell you "of course it is" and they will really believe that.
Actually it's part private and part public, a sort of unholy matrimony between the two.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:42 PM

3,853 posts, read 11,846,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I wish I could convert my savings into a few thousand barrels of oil and sit on them for one year to make a killing at resale time. Nobody ever believed me when I said that a real estate bubble was the first sign of economic collapse. Residential real estate does not produce anything, therefore it should never increase in value, only depreciate. You lose money every year in property taxes, so real estate is always a loser unless it is used for farming, mining or manufacturing.
yup, that is what the statistics are saying. So why does real estate go up 10% per year, on average? Because that is the rate of inflation!!!!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:52 PM

4,429 posts, read 5,802,008 times

There are bulls and there are bears. And then................there are vultures.

Proud to be a card carrying member of The Brotherhood of Circling Vultures 2009 - 2015.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:55 PM

3,853 posts, read 11,846,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Oh around here $200K gets you a 3500 square foot brand new house with some really decent upgrades and a large yard. $130K gets you a brand new house at 2300 square feet. The insane prices and ridiculous market swings seem like another world when you look around here. Houses are very affordable.
I was lucky enough to find myself here in north texas but chose to stay once I realized there were numerous benefits rather than move to either coast.
No kidding. I live in So cal right now with the parents while I go to school. I save up all my money to buy a home in Texas. I mainly like texas because of the lower cost of living. Out here in Socal, even with the high price drops it is still too expensive compared to what you make. I'd say the reason for that is because lots of people want to live in CA, NYC, florida etc. so all that demand drives up the overall cost of living in the area. In Texas, it is much different. Not everyone wants to live there so high prices can't be sustained. There is multiple factors that go into it but I'd say that is a big part of it.

Right now I am looking at buying around the bryan/college station area and then I can rent a place in either houston, austin, DFW when I need to work. I already have enough saved up to put 20% down on a 150k home and I still have two years left to go. I am sure by the time I buy I'll put 50% down. The faster I pay off the home, the better !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics