Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 01:50 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,082,979 times

Advertisements

Downturn spurs survival panic for some | U.S. | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 03:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
All I have to say is... welcome to reality. I hit that place a few years ago and now live on a fixed income. I have one treat a year to save up for... usually a trip and everything beyond necessity is balanced with that. (Be suprising what you can save if there is a reason)

Lots and lots of people will learn a hard lesson before this is over, especially given the next few housing and other waves. Nobody has talked about the social concequences of this but I believe they will be high, and maybe for the better. The people who grew up in the depression did not randomly spend, but saved. They bought their toys with real money and didn't have massive debt. Its unfoutunate that our economy is tied to overuse and frivolous expenditures on credit because I would hope that people suddenly and harshly faced with the reality that there really are basic necessities and beyond that its toys will keep remembering.

The wealth of too many people has been built on air. Morgages and loans cannot be avoided but spending on your credit cards and not subtracting the balance from your earnings does not compute. And there is no free lunch. Anyone with a little forsight could have seen this coming with all the subprime and no documentation loans that would bite back in a few years. Your worth the balance and a lot of people would be surprised, or *will* discover that soon.

Not to mention the suddenly homeless will get a lesson they will never forget and which will always remember in reality and basic survival. And those teetering on the brink will hopefully see the light before they join them.

Not being a doomsayer here, but have seen the practical part from the otherside and am not sorry about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics