Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 01:26 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times

Advertisements

They have a picture of a hand holding a TINY dollar... and then called it "deflation"... the image is more of inflation as the value of the dollar is devalued each year... If they want a deflation dollar, it would mean you can buy MORE with your dollars... the picture should be a gigantic size dollar not a tiny one... the fear of deflation isn't that it hurts consumers (cause consumers make out like bandits) but that businesses suffer and fire people and there are less jobs around (but the consumers win BIG)... however I don't see any signs of deflation... sure there are massive firings and high unemployment but I have yet to see a decrease in 17%+ increase in food prices (my own calculation based on previous purchases at my local grocery store)... gas is cheaper but not because of deflation (less people are buying gas and that's driving down demand)... so what IS cheaper? Computers and electronics pretty much cost the same or a bit more... clothing is cheap (if it sucks or is old) but hasn't that always been the case? So where are the cheap but great products as a result of deflation? House prices are dropping but that's because they are STILL overpriced...They keep reporting the drop in prices for consumer products but I am not seeing it, are YOU?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 02:13 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times
Hmm....yeah I just saw that picture. Pretty stupid.....

But seriously, it should be pretty obvious at this point that the financial media is basically either corrupt or filled with idiots.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:18 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times

Old 12-17-2008, 03:22 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I think CNN has mostly idiots. I try to watch "In the Money" and "Open House" on the weekends. They are both pretty useless, I don't know why I bother. Bloomberg, CNBC and Fox Business (I like the Saturday morning shows but they are mostly entertainment) are more informative - especially if you can stay up late or get up early and watch the Asian and European versions.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:12 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
An even better image...show a chart of the US dollar's decline since the Federal Reserve was founded in 1913.

And watch the decline accelerate as the "maestro" and helicopter ben took the helm.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:50 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,082,979 times
A CNN anchor gave terrible financial advice a few days ago. She had some Suze Orman clone as her guest, and they were talking about credit card debt. The anchor glibly recommended people to "cancel their credit cards"--I guess she doesn't know that your FICO score will drop if you do that. The correct action is to keep the card open but stop using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I think CNN has mostly idiots. I try to watch "In the Money" and "Open House" on the weekends. They are both pretty useless, I don't know why I bother. Bloomberg, CNBC and Fox Business (I like the Saturday morning shows but they are mostly entertainment) are more informative - especially if you can stay up late or get up early and watch the Asian and European versions.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:44 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,027,839 times
I can honestly say I have not watched CNN in over a year. Infact I don't watch any of the news channels. I have CNBC on during the day and watch Fast Money every afternoon. I read the WSJ everyday and the local paper. Bloomberg TV is also good. Most off my news sources are on the internet. Sorry I missed that one.

I try to stay away from all the doom and gloom. Always found out not a lot that I can do to change things anyway. Hard to keep a positive attitude when you are surrounded by everything negative.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:35 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
So where are the cheap but great products as a result of deflation? House prices are dropping but that's because they are STILL overpriced...They keep reporting the drop in prices for consumer products but I am not seeing it, are YOU?
My wife and I have been discussing this same point. Other than energy and housing, we haven't noticed any real price deflation. Groceries, which shot up during the spring and summer supposedly due to rising energy costs have not come down in any noticeable way. Clothing has been a little less expensive, but mainly due to Christmas sales as desperate retailers try to dump excess inventories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics