Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 03:45 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times

Advertisements

Understanding. It sinks in. Years too late.

"Thirty years ago, this was probably the most radical plant in North America," said local union chief Jim Graham. "We would stop the line if there was a leak in the ceiling. Now we understand that the enemy is not the management. It's the foreign competition."

Bailout limbo leaves GM town 'on edge' - Washington Post- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 04:45 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
I feel really for the families... the company failed them, the city failed them, and all their troubles stem not from lack of responsibility but an inept Congress and Presidency that caused this whole mess... they are patient zero so to speak... and why on earth people vote them in the same office year after year, I will never understand... I can't understand why anyone would reward failure and corruption...

Old 12-19-2008, 07:00 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
I don't think the company failed them. I admire that they've tried to live up to the contract. The workers failed the company and themselves by demanding too much. Greed is not good.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:05 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Daddy gave them more money, so it's all good now. Party on!

Old 12-19-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I don't think the company failed them. I admire that they've tried to live up to the contract. The workers failed the company and themselves by demanding too much. Greed is not good.
I think the company failed them when they failed to deliver the products necessary to advert their own disaster... when they started, it was good quality products and then it went bad for a long, long time and only about the last decade or so, they started improving the quality of their cars... whose fault was it to make defective cars? That wasn't the only point in time where they failed... I am sure OPEC and other oil nations (as well as US car maintenance stores) demanded that American automakers make cars that needed more maintenance by guzzling more gasoline... in return the CEOs were promised (behind closed doors) wealth and more... they took it at the risk of destroying their own company and without the company, the workers wouldn't have work... so yes, I think the company failed them... not that workers were totally innocent but much less so than the company... The union did do outrageous things... that should be a wake-up call to rein in the unions (however, I doubt anyone would actually wake-up)... There are plenty of people to blame but the ones I mentioned deserve the most blame... let me ask you this... while all the auto plants shut down and the workers aren't paid... will the CEOs be working and getting paid during the interim? Its nice to pay some people and not others...

Old 12-19-2008, 07:13 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
GM and chrysler got the money, 17.4 billion. it will be interesting to see how many americans are going to buy their cars since they bullied the bailout, or even how many americans can now afford new cars. by the way, cerberus does not have to pay one penny. hmmm.......

Old 12-19-2008, 07:24 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Why are my predictions always right? The pattern is set, if you are a big company, no matter how incompetant or corrupt the Government will loan you interest-free money to keep failing. The trick now is to be connected to the Government not to innovate. Small start-ups can fend for themselves. This will continue till the rest of the world stops buying worthless T-bills.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:28 AM

I believe that will be the end of TARP from the Treasury/President... the other hundreds of billions of dollars has to be approved by the Senate before it can be disbursed...

Old 12-19-2008, 07:30 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I believe that will be the end of TARP from the Treasury/President... the other hundreds of billions of dollars has to be approved by the Senate before it can be disbursed...
The TARP slush fund is unlimited, there will always be "money" left over to spend.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:43 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The TARP slush fund is unlimited, there will always be "money" left over to spend.
Exactly, if the Congressmen had any backbone, they could have blocked this.

But the reality is that they are all bought off and their conduct demonstrates that they wish to avoid responsibility for both corruption and reform, mainly because the corrupt cannot reform themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics