U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2008, 08:38 AM
 
13,084 posts, read 19,257,896 times
Reputation: 21455

Advertisements

You are right, in this economy currency is down and gold is down. All the old rules do not apply. It used to be the "gloom and doomers" preached the power of gold. People have to realize, gold is just another traded commodity item like oil, wheat, and pork. What the use is gold if you can't trade it for currency? Let me tell you, for the dollar to totally collapse the U.S. would have to collapse as a nation, if the U.S. collapses then the world's nations and currencies would have to collapse. Thus we see a world in anarchy, a worldwide Somalia. Gold wouldn't be worth a damn, at least a dollar you could burn for fuel. The new economy would be a barter system or actual goods - ammunition, fuel, etc. That's the true gloom and doom scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2008, 09:55 AM
 
242 posts, read 674,148 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post

I am skeptical that there is high chance of USD become worthless. What do you guys think?
okay, this is meant to be funny.....


The dollar has now increased in value in some circles.
Take for instance an strip club. A dollar would get an upturned nose last year.
Now wave a dollar and smiles and hugs come your way.

There is balance in life...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2008, 10:26 AM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,486,376 times
Reputation: 5180
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Number One. This answer is fitting of the P & C Board. Perhaps even, it would be considered enlighten on that forum. But...that simplistic answer ain't going to fly here.

Number Two. If we are monopolizing so much of the oil then why were oil price so high for the last couple of years.

Number Three. We took Iraqi by force and what did we get for it. Pretty much of nothing. I don't see tons of Iraqi oil flooding our streets, I don't see a longterm commitment by the Iraqis to say close to the U.S. I see nothing that indicates that we aren't just packing up and leaving and hoping that Iran doesn't get it hooks deep in to the Iraqi political system. The only good thing this that it seems the the average Iraqi seems to hates Al-Qaeda as much as they hate the U.S. for fooking up there country.

Number Four: Did China have any problems getting oil at anytime? I don't believe so.


Number Five. Please see HappyTexan's post below.




Number Six. Let me ask you. Who are the smaller fish we are going to fry? Venezuela? Brazil? Uzbekistan? Georgia? South Jersey? Who? Who's lives are we going to fook up this time? And how many of our boys/girls is it going to cost? How much our blood will be let this time? Most importantly how much of my tax money are war mongering Jackasses going to waste of fruitless endeavors?
This post is almost scary, in is obvious lack of understanding of how the world works. Democracies depend on an educated population to ensure the system works correctly and thus the situation we find ourselves in now. In the first place when you say "we" who exactly are you talking about? The people who run this Country are not the 3 and 1/2 million inhabitants; it is the Banks and Multi-National corporations. These people make money in good times selling and loaning to the populous. They make money in bad times by taking over smaller companies and acquiring real estate and Stocks at rock bottom prices. They make money in War time by producing goods and services for both sides and loaning money to the Government at interest for the massive costs of war. Wise up, the Federal Reserve a group of private banks, who you the taxpayer are not allowed to know the identity of, have loaned the Government 700 billion for the Iraq war at interest and then been the recipient of a 700 billion dollar bail out. The issue is not if the Dollar will become worthless or not, the issue is if the American people will pull their heads out of the sand in time to save themselves and their descendents from lives of indentured servitude from here on out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2008, 10:30 AM
 
18,353 posts, read 16,315,244 times
Reputation: 7154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
This post is almost scary, in is obvious lack of understanding of how the world works. Democracies depend on an educated population to ensure the system works correctly and thus the situation we find ourselves in now. In the first place when you say "we" who exactly are you talking about? The people who run this Country are not the 3 and 1/2 million inhabitants; it is the Banks and Multi-National corporations. These people make money in good times selling and loaning to the populous. They make money in bad times by taking over smaller companies and acquiring real estate and Stocks at rock bottom prices. They make money in War time by producing goods and services for both sides and loaning money to the Government at interest for the massive costs of war. Wise up, the Federal Reserve a group of private banks, who you the taxpayer are not allowed to know the identity of, have loaned the Government 700 billion for the Iraq war at interest and then been the recipient of a 700 billion dollar bail out. The issue is not if the Dollar will become worthless or not, the issue is if the American people will pull their heads out of the sand in time to save themselves and their descendents from lives of indentured servitude from here on out.
jimhcom,

The only thing I would like to add to this is "see post above".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2008, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Sitting on a bar stool. Guinness in hand.
4,429 posts, read 5,809,671 times
Reputation: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
This post is almost scary, in is obvious lack of understanding of how the world works. Democracies depend on an educated population to ensure the system works correctly and thus the situation we find ourselves in now. In the first place when you say "we" who exactly are you talking about? The people who run this Country are not the 3 and 1/2 million inhabitants; it is the Banks and Multi-National corporations. These people make money in good times selling and loaning to the populous. They make money in bad times by taking over smaller companies and acquiring real estate and Stocks at rock bottom prices. They make money in War time by producing goods and services for both sides and loaning money to the Government at interest for the massive costs of war. Wise up, the Federal Reserve a group of private banks, who you the taxpayer are not allowed to know the identity of, have loaned the Government 700 billion for the Iraq war at interest and then been the recipient of a 700 billion dollar bail out. The issue is not if the Dollar will become worthless or not, the issue is if the American people will pull their heads out of the sand in time to save themselves and their descendents from lives of indentured servitude from here on out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
jimhcom,

The only thing I would like to add to this is "see post above".
Cut the Crap Jim. The U.S. "we" in no position to take anything by force right now. In I would love to see what would happen if we tried to invade Iran right now. We would fail BIG TIME and it would cost "us" (the U.S.) dearly Politically, Military, Socially and Economically.
The We'll (the U.S.) just take what we want." attitude that was the crutch of you argument earlier is done or at least shelved for a long while. Our superpower status or illusion of superpower status is going to be challenged in a big way by China in the coming decades and we just may get pushed off from the mountain top.

Now with the Separate issue international conspiracy of banking that rules the world. Which is a separate issue from U.S. Power and Aggression because, If these guys do exist, they just now maybe backing China and looking for us (the U.S.) to fall from grace. As you said they play each other against us (countries of the world) to make money. And honestly they probably don't care too much who wins. So the U.S. can be destroyed as far as they are concerned.

Now to both gwynedd1 and Jimhcom. I want you to ask guys something. I want to ask............When is history have the majority of human being been really free? Have lived completely without control?
Since the being humans have been beholden to Tribe elders/councils, Kings, Emperors, Dictators, Wealthy Merchants and now possibly Multicorps. What has exactly changed from those first tribe days to now? I would argue overall, not much. Basically same $h!t different day. And the funny thing about it is, I bet you the majority of people wouldn't want that "freedom" if they had to give up what they have know as their comfort and security. The People of the world have made there deal with the devil willingly and will just say "that's just how it is." if they do get burn by him.

For all the $h!t talk I hear about freedom and the multicorps on a lot of forums, I bet when it comes down to it 98% of people out there (world wide) wouldn't be prepared to back up what they say. Probably including you two.

Last edited by baystater; 12-23-2008 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2008, 12:56 PM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,486,376 times
Reputation: 5180
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Cut the Crap Jim. The U.S. "we" in no position to take anything by force right now. In I would love to see what would happen if we tried to invade Iran right now. We would fail BIG TIME and it would cost "us" (the U.S.) dearly Politically, Military, Socially and Economically.
The We'll (the U.S.) just take what we want." attitude that was the crutch of you argument earlier is done or at least shelved for a long while. Our superpower status or illusion of superpower status is going to be challenged in a big way by China in the coming decades and we just may get pushed off from the mountain top.

Now with the Separate issue international conspiracy of banking that rules the world. Which is a separate issue from U.S. Power and Aggression because, If these guys do exist, they just now maybe backing China and looking for us (the U.S.) to fall from grace. As you said they play each other against us (countries of the world) to make money. And honestly they probably don't care too much who wins. So the U.S. can be destroyed as far as they are concerned.

Now to both gwynedd1 and Jimhcom. I want you to ask guys something. I want to ask............When is history have the majority of human being been really free? Have lived completely without control?
Since the being humans have been beholden to Tribe elders/councils, Kings, Emperors, Dictators, Wealthy Merchants and now possibly Multicorps. What has exactly changed from those first tribe days to now? I would argue overall, not much. Basically same $h!t different day. And the funny thing about it is, I bet you the majority of people wouldn't want that "freedom" if they had to give up what they have know as their comfort and security. The People of the world have made there deal with the devil willingly and will just say "that's just how it is." if they do get burn by him.

For all the $h!t talk I hear about freedom and the multicorps on a lot of forums, I bet when it comes down to it 98% of people out there (world wide) wouldn't be prepared to back up what they say. Probably including you two.
I will be happy to consider any arguments you make based on facts, but your baseless opinions and ramblings are not worth replying to. The fact is you do not speak for "98% of the people" or the "majority" you only speak for yourself and injecting false statistics does nothing to strengthen your argument. If you do not know what has changed from the days of tribal rule to the establishment of the greatest Democratic Republic in world history, then I truly am wasting effort. As far as the Military’s ability to make war goes, again we have been enlightened with your opinion but no facts. We do know from a technical standpoint the U.S. military’s superiority was proven without any doubt against the best technology the Iraqis could purchase from Russia and China. That point was also made clear recently by Israel in Syria. We do know that the U.S. has been spending hundreds of billions on producing stealth and robotic technology as well as missile defense, and that it is an accepted fact world wide that the U.S. military is the one and only Superpower. The last guy who doubted that was dug out of a hole and hung as a criminal in the country he used to rule, a country with the worlds 5th largest army.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2008, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Sitting on a bar stool. Guinness in hand.
4,429 posts, read 5,809,671 times
Reputation: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I will be happy to consider any arguments you make based on facts, but your baseless opinions and ramblings are not worth replying to.
And I will treat your useless rambling with the same kind.

Quote:
If you do not know what has changed from the days of tribal rule to the establishment of the greatest Democratic Republic in world history, then I truly am wasting effort.
Wait I thought you said we were run by corporations. Keep you head on strait son. Your starting to confuse yourself.


Oh. And happy holidays.

Last edited by baystater; 12-23-2008 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2008, 04:09 PM
 
18,353 posts, read 16,315,244 times
Reputation: 7154
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Cut the Crap Jim. The U.S. "we" in no position to take anything by force right now. In I would love to see what would happen if we tried to invade Iran right now. We would fail BIG TIME and it would cost "us" (the U.S.) dearly Politically, Military, Socially and Economically.
The We'll (the U.S.) just take what we want." attitude that was the crutch of you argument earlier is done or at least shelved for a long while. Our superpower status or illusion of superpower status is going to be challenged in a big way by China in the coming decades and we just may get pushed off from the mountain top.

Now with the Separate issue international conspiracy of banking that rules the world. Which is a separate issue from U.S. Power and Aggression because, If these guys do exist, they just now maybe backing China and looking for us (the U.S.) to fall from grace. As you said they play each other against us (countries of the world) to make money. And honestly they probably don't care too much who wins. So the U.S. can be destroyed as far as they are concerned.

Now to both gwynedd1 and Jimhcom. I want you to ask guys something. I want to ask............When is history have the majority of human being been really free? Have lived completely without control?
Since the being humans have been beholden to Tribe elders/councils, Kings, Emperors, Dictators, Wealthy Merchants and now possibly Multicorps. What has exactly changed from those first tribe days to now? I would argue overall, not much. Basically same $h!t different day. And the funny thing about it is, I bet you the majority of people wouldn't want that "freedom" if they had to give up what they have know as their comfort and security. The People of the world have made there deal with the devil willingly and will just say "that's just how it is." if they do get burn by him.

For all the $h!t talk I hear about freedom and the multicorps on a lot of forums, I bet when it comes down to it 98% of people out there (world wide) wouldn't be prepared to back up what they say. Probably including you two.
Hi baystater,

Do you have an historical perspective of what such an international cartel may represent? If you feel that you will be benevolently ruled by an international plutocracy I think you do it on a faith since you offered no demonstrable models or references.

I hope you have seen this
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.Thomas Jefferson, Letter to the Secretary of the Treasury Albert Gallatin (1802)
3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)
Its nothing new.
Now this reminds me of Scotland and what may be in store for us. In most of history people provided a king's power. Thus the general well being of a people will at least have common cause with its leaders. The self interest of a tribal chief is little different than the interest of his clan or nation. This describes pre-Culloden Scotland and the Highland clans. As a true rival to English power Scotland needed its people. What happened after Culloden? As a vassal of England the much of the Highland clan system was dissolved. The Scottish clan leaders did not have any use for people anymore and preferred sheep. People did not give them power to confront England anymore. This lead to the clearances.

The Highland Clearances and the Effects on Scotland Today

International financiers have addresses all over the world , duel citizenships and the like. Many of these same people speak of environmental causes, that they themselves create . Often one hears of the surplus populations of the world in these same elitist circles. A single central power will transition many people from power base to local nuisance and we have been warned of the potential with events like the Scottish clearances. Leaders ain't what they used to be.
For now we have been content to do this in the third world where any native people so unfortunate to live near mineral resources well knows. It does not happen in Japan because their wealth is human capital.
You don't notice a change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:54 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top