Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 08:52 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times

Advertisements

Will my gift cards lose their value in a bankruptcy?

What happens if I put down a deposit for furniture and the retailer goes belly up before it's delivered?

Can I still return my product to a bankrupt retailer?

How can I protect myself if there is a bankruptcy?

Store Bankruptcies Can Burn Shoppers

click on the link for the answers and more about this issue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 09:25 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Basi9cally you casn't. Had thsi happen to me once and you can file with the court but you are way down the line and will get nothing most likely.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:59 AM

339 posts, read 1,518,057 times
Ha - Interesting that if you have a gift card from a bankrupt store (meaning someone paid them money that essentially is owed to you in the form of a good) it's likely lost... BUT if you owe them money on a store credit card they will report you to credit agencies and hire bill collectors if you don't pay up. While I am not advocating not paying your credit cards bills or anything like that, this still seems to be a bit of a double standard on the surface at least. I'm sure it's not a clean cut as I am making it out to be.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:09 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
What a great idea to post this information bentlebee!
My kids got a few gift cards for Christmas. I suggested they use them immediately.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:40 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
What a great idea to post this information bentlebee!
My kids got a few gift cards for Christmas. I suggested they use them immediately.
My family saw the writing on the wall months ago, and there were no store gift cards given this year. Cash for local friends and family (in lieu of gift cards) and VISA gift cards for those we mailed. Plus if the recipient needs $50 worth of groceries more than they need something from Best Buy, then all the better.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:48 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
  1. Quote:
    Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
    Will my gift cards lose their value in a bankruptcy?
  2. What happens if I put down a deposit for furniture and the retailer goes belly up before it's delivered?
  3. Can I still return my product to a bankrupt retailer?
  4. How can I protect myself if there is a bankruptcy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Store Bankruptcies Can Burn Shoppers

click on the link for the answers and more about this issue!
  1. Use the gift card as soon as you hear about the bankruptcy. I did this with Circuit City.
  2. Use a credit card for all major purchases, including a down payment. Ask that a chargeback be done once you've determined that you will not get your funiture. You have a window to do a chargeback, I believe it's either 6 or 9 months from purchase.
  3. Once they are in liquidation I don't believe they accept returns. Thoroughly evaluate any major purchases from a liquidating business and if you bought your item before liquidation, quickly determine if you want to keep it or not and then take it back before the stores change their policies from going concern to liquidation.
  4. See above
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics