Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 06:24 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,265,796 times

Advertisements

General Motors is becoming China Motors - YouTube

This video shows the truth about how business is done today in corporate America.
The basic formula is that corporate CEO's along with Wall St. and bought and paid for politicians commit treason against the United States and its citizens in order to make a few billion in the short term while eliminating our jobs and manufacturing base, and transferring technology, often derived from military and aerospace, to hostel communist or totalitarian governments.

These acts undermine both the economy and security of the United States and devastate the lives of millions of its citizens.
In the end it may just spell the demise of the United States and the principals it once stood for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 06:54 AM

837 posts, read 1,795,209 times
What a worthless video. I want 9 minutes of my life back.

The problems are numerous, but in general it lacks any real thought rigor.

1) The fact that they are expanding in China could be explained quite rationally by the surge in demand there while US car demand shrank. Remove tinfoil hat.
2) Second, the quote that 7 out of 10 cars are made in China means little in isolation; they are likely made there because the cost to do so is less. I'll spare the lecture on labour economics, but this is not in of itself a bad thing. Not just in the sense that consumers can buy cars at more competitive prices, but also in the sense that, barring that, the product could be priced out of the market - in the US or abroad. Output is made of labour and capital, its a natural byproduct that firms optimize the function. I digress.
3) The speech itself isn't sourced, for all we know it was done at some international symposium or joint venture announcement; in fact, it almost certainly was, as company disclosures and 10-k's aren't done this way. So little surprise then that the focus on the speech is on growth outside the US and plans to expand there.
4) The quotes are snippets that aren't given full context, so how knows what the full story is. 10 seconds sound bites are easy to take out of context.
5) What does communism have to do with any of it? If someone has issue with GM doing business with China because of China's political policies, boycott GM's products.
6) A thirteen year old report that cites technology transfer as part of a deal does not a conspiracy make. GM, in all likelihood, didn't have a ton of cash to offer, so it wouldn't come as a surprise to me at all that GM would make a deal that includes both cash and intellectual property or training. There's also the distinct possibility that GM obtained intellectual property from China as well; Toyota has done the same thing with other US based firms - in fact, Toyota's Kaizen operations methodology is now basically the gold standard in the space - information they shared with US counterparts 20 years ago as part of a JV just like this.

I cant even be bothered to point out the other problems with the arguments presented.

What incredibly worthless armchair-economist drivel.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:56 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,088,241 times
Read much?
Treason - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It serves no one to dilute the meaning of what our founders thought so heinous an abuse under the English King that they defined but one crime in the Constitution...

Old 05-10-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
What a worthless video. I want 9 minutes of my life back.

The problems are numerous, but in general it lacks any real thought rigor.

1) The fact that they are expanding in China could be explained quite rationally by the surge in demand there while US car demand shrank. Remove tinfoil hat.
2) Second, the quote that 7 out of 10 cars are made in China means little in isolation; they are likely made there because the cost to do so is less. I'll spare the lecture on labour economics, but this is not in of itself a bad thing. Not just in the sense that consumers can buy cars at more competitive prices, but also in the sense that, barring that, the product could be priced out of the market - in the US or abroad. Output is made of labour and capital, its a natural byproduct that firms optimize the function. I digress.
3) The speech itself isn't sourced, for all we know it was done at some international symposium or joint venture announcement; in fact, it almost certainly was, as company disclosures and 10-k's aren't done this way. So little surprise then that the focus on the speech is on growth outside the US and plans to expand there.
4) The quotes are snippets that aren't given full context, so how knows what the full story is. 10 seconds sound bites are easy to take out of context.
5) What does communism have to do with any of it? If someone has issue with GM doing business with China because of China's political policies, boycott GM's products.
6) A thirteen year old report that cites technology transfer as part of a deal does not a conspiracy make. GM, in all likelihood, didn't have a ton of cash to offer, so it wouldn't come as a surprise to me at all that GM would make a deal that includes both cash and intellectual property or training. There's also the distinct possibility that GM obtained intellectual property from China as well; Toyota has done the same thing with other US based firms - in fact, Toyota's Kaizen operations methodology is now basically the gold standard in the space - information they shared with US counterparts 20 years ago as part of a JV just like this.

I cant even be bothered to point out the other problems with the arguments presented.

What incredibly worthless armchair-economist drivel.
Just the kind of response I would expect from an investment banker.
Did you grow up with Joe Izusu as your hero?
Or are you getting paid to spew propaganda?

Old 05-10-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Just the kind of response I would expect from an investment banker.
Did you grow up with Joe Izusu as your hero?
Or are you getting paid to spew propaganda?
I'm paid to think critically. You should try it, you'd be surprised how effective it is.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:09 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,650,738 times
Quote:
I'm paid to think critically. You should try it, you'd be surprised how effective it is.
It makes it harder to effect an agenda when you think critically. Two threads with nearly the same thread. Conjecture and bias is always great lenses to view the world.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
It makes it harder to effect an agenda when you think critically. Two threads with nearly the same thread. Conjecture and bias is always great lenses to view the world.
I prefer beer goggles, everything looks good that way.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:17 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,650,738 times
Quote:
I prefer beer goggles, everything looks good that way.
Lol. As long as they are happy goggle and not the want to fight everyone goggles.

For the edification of the O/P: "treason."
Treason - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Quote:
: the betrayal of a trust : treachery
: the offense of attempting by overt acts to overthrow the government of the state to which the offender owes allegiance or to kill or personally injure the sovereign or the sovereign's family
Neither of which apply in this agrument.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
You are paid to make slaves of your fellow humans by means of USURY, illegal usurpation of power, and subversion of the Constitution.
Bankers are a parasite on the ass of humanity.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Lol. As long as they are happy goggle and not the want to fight everyone goggles.

For the edification of the O/P: "treason."
Treason - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Neither of which apply in this agrument.
So, let me get this straight.
In your definition taking the taxpayers money and using it to build factories overseas, eliminating American jobs in the process, which in turn undermines the tax base and the countries strength, transferring technology, loyalty, and supporting a communist dictatorship which is the sworn enemy to democracy and the United States is not treachery?

I suppose neither is using those same funds to purchase politicians votes to benefit a foreign power?
I would be interested to know what your definition of treachery really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics