Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 01:27 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I'd LOVE to be the only one in the whole neighborhood, that sounds ideal!!

Then your neighbors will be squatters...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 01:29 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguywho View Post

A 'real deal' would be 2001 prices of your neighborhood MINUS about 30%.
This is very likely what we will see soon.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
good post. we got an 18 month wait, the banks are playing games. 1/2 of bailout used to buy chinese securities.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:38 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Then your neighbors will be squatters...
If there are squatters, I wouldn't be the only one in the neighborhood, now would I?

Old 12-26-2008, 03:13 PM

673 posts, read 3,091,122 times
I have actually question about the North Dallas housing market, the price here still seems to be going up. I was thinking about buying a house but in popular cities like Plano and Allen, Texas the price still is going up. Anyone sees a drastic fall in housing price in North Dallas or will just keep on going up?

Old 12-26-2008, 03:54 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
One way I can quickly tell I am dealing with a ludicrous bullshhter is when they start the “I garontee it†routine. Whatever “It†is. Does not seem to matter what they are claiming to guarantee (with absolutely no capacity to back up said guarantee.) As if bs-ing someone added credence to their claim.

Overall, I agree that varying by area and present and future conditions there is considerable downside risk to purchasing real estate in the US for now and probably the next two to three years.

However, if you correctly determine your capacity for the downside and factor it in, it does not make that big of difference. For example – if you considered the likelihood of a ten percent drop per year for the next three years, and you could afford a $10,000 expense per year, that would mean you could very comfortably afford to start with a $100,000 property and let it go down $10,000 a year – which may be viewed as the equivalent of $800 a month “rent†(not considering taxes). Many folks can afford that. As potential buyers we consider that tolerable.

I am not saying that 10% per year for the next three years is some magic number. It is just a number to do the math with. Pick your own according to your own risk tolerance, location and conditions. Everyone can do their own risk evaluation and figure what is good for them.

Another example could be a $500,000 house in area where houses are dropping 10% or more per year. That comes out a loss of $50,000 per year or $150,000 across three years – that might not be so tolerable. I would not consider it so.

Point being – If people are going to stop being harmed by following mindless “advice†whether BUY NOW! -- or just as stupid -- DO NOT BUY NOW! They are going have to stop avoiding thought and instead think their situation through.

Fat chance, huh? Back to All Sheep All The Time.
Have you read his blogs at his forum?

Old 12-26-2008, 03:59 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default ANd possible allow his income to go up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Have you read his blogs at his forum?
Sorry, no desire to feed that machine...

https://www.google.com/adsense/login...roeoBhUWsMZmOw

Old 12-26-2008, 04:10 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

Thats what AdBlock is for.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:08 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguywho View Post

Do not buy a home now. You will regret it. For the very well off it will just be a bit of a loss. For regular joes and janes, who I am talking to, it will be devestating.

Why do that to yourselves. There is NO harm in just waiting. Stop drinking the 'buy now' kool aid.

Meh - you may well be right dollar wise but you are forgetting a very important element in purchasing a house. The human factor. We traded up in 2007 and paid $200k less than it was assessed at in 2005. Our 2009 assessment values it $150k less than our purchase price. So we lost $150k on paper. So what. We considered selling our smaller house and renting a larger one but in the end I wanted my kids grow up and make memories in their house. One they can plan on being in till they graduate high school. One that they can paint their room a hideous color and stick posters all over the wall and not worry about the landlord getting pissed. One they can have a dog in. One they can drive by in 30 years and tell their spouse, "I grew up here". And the list goes on.

We will see how it plays out financially when the game is over....but $'s are not the only factor in play here. Actually I would caution people to buy a house they can actually afford (imagine that) rather than not to buy at all for 10 years.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:01 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

Not sure what your link is about, but this is his site. Http://www.politicalgateway.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics