U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2008, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
2,884 posts, read 5,296,240 times
Reputation: 2737

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Buffett, Oprah, etc...aren't Jewish...and your post smells anti-semitic....Why should Jwish groups specially have said anything about Greenspan and Bernanke? Aren't these 2 people worked as people on the job and not practicing a religion?

If you don't like them or what the accomplished than just mention it without mentioning their religion which you obvious wouldn't do in the case of Oprah and Buffett....there you have the reason why your post isn't fair and balanced.
Oh brother. Yep, my post "smells of anti semitism". You must be kidding.

It's funny with this Madoff case, as other posters mentioned, gwynd, a jewish criminal victimized other jews, and whats being discussed are possible anti semites, as if they're waiting in the wings for an excuse.

Search for "forbes 400 jewish", and you get different statistics. Maybe 25%, yet they make up a few percent of the population.

Considering gas, housing, declining 401ks, and the horrible state of the economy, there is very, very little mainstream anti semitism. Rallying against the "jews that are taking all our money". Or, "those jewish bankers". Those old outdated stereotypes. I think we've moved on from there. We just voted for a black president who's middle name is hussein.

With Greenspan, Bernanke, the story mentioned, the "Merchant of Venice".

"Adding to the sense of betrayal in the allegations against Madoff are worries about whether they feed into centuries-old, ugly caricatures of Jews.

Since Jews served as lenders in medieval Europe, where they were barred from many other occupations, they have sometimes been portrayed as miserly, greedy and obsessed with money. In just one example, Shakespeare's Shylock, the Jewish character who demands a pound of flesh in payment for a loan in "The Merchant of Venice," has become synonymous with usury."

Greenspan, Bernanke feed that stereotype/caricature more than Madoff ever will.

But I dont see anything in day to day life that resembles anti semitism (at least compared to 50 or 75 years ago).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-30-2008, 03:59 AM
 
26,669 posts, read 40,690,994 times
Reputation: 14782
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Oh brother. Yep, my post "smells of anti semitism". You must be kidding.

It's funny with this Madoff case, as other posters mentioned, gwynd, a jewish criminal victimized other jews, and whats being discussed are possible anti semites, as if they're waiting in the wings for an excuse.

Search for "forbes 400 jewish", and you get different statistics. Maybe 25%, yet they make up a few percent of the population.

Considering gas, housing, declining 401ks, and the horrible state of the economy, there is very, very little mainstream anti semitism. Rallying against the "jews that are taking all our money". Or, "those jewish bankers". Those old outdated stereotypes. I think we've moved on from there. We just voted for a black president who's middle name is hussein.

With Greenspan, Bernanke, the story mentioned, the "Merchant of Venice".

"Adding to the sense of betrayal in the allegations against Madoff are worries about whether they feed into centuries-old, ugly caricatures of Jews.

Since Jews served as lenders in medieval Europe, where they were barred from many other occupations, they have sometimes been portrayed as miserly, greedy and obsessed with money. In just one example, Shakespeare's Shylock, the Jewish character who demands a pound of flesh in payment for a loan in "The Merchant of Venice," has become synonymous with usury."

Greenspan, Bernanke feed that stereotype/caricature more than Madoff ever will.

But I dont see anything in day to day life that resembles anti semitism (at least compared to 50 or 75 years ago).

Is there a Forbes Catholic 400 as well?

If you want to talk about if Bernanke, Greenspan, etc. did their job well, than you don't have to mention that they are Jewish, or what is the even the point of mentioning it?

We all know that there are good, bad, ugly, criminal, smart, beautiful, mentally challenged, people with a disibility...amongst Jews, Catholics, Muslims, Protestant, etc
So please explain why if you mention the people you mention you have to point out they are Jewish?

Buffett great man, very wealthy, smart, funny and a example for many...and who cares what his religion is, or is it mentioned all the time? No, so why should you mention it for Greenspan if you don't have a hidden agenda, which is that you rather wanted to speak about and that he is Jewish....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 05:18 AM
 
3,722 posts, read 4,721,353 times
Reputation: 4751
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
"Swindlers List", a financial holocaust story about a group of crooks taken in by an even bigger, sneakier crook. You'll laugh....you'll cry....you'll check repeatedly for your wallet.
Now that's funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 07:10 AM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,951 posts, read 23,398,108 times
Reputation: 15545
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Is there a Forbes Catholic 400 as well?

If you want to talk about if Bernanke, Greenspan, etc. did their job well, than you don't have to mention that they are Jewish, or what is the even the point of mentioning it?

We all know that there are good, bad, ugly, criminal, smart, beautiful, mentally challenged, people with a disibility...amongst Jews, Catholics, Muslims, Protestant, etc
So please explain why if you mention the people you mention you have to point out they are Jewish?

Buffett great man, very wealthy, smart, funny and a example for many...and who cares what his religion is, or is it mentioned all the time? No, so why should you mention it for Greenspan if you don't have a hidden agenda, which is that you rather wanted to speak about and that he is Jewish....
More to the point, wasn't one of the more notorious "mafia style" crime gangs run by jews like Meyer Lansky and Benny Siegel. Anyone remember Murder Inc?
That being said I don't see why what their religion has to do with anything. You certainly don't see any reports like "the christian shooter did killed xxx" or the people were ripped off by a (insert religion here). Heck I've been burned by many a supposed "born again christian" and instead of thinking all are that way just shake my head at what a hypocrite the particular people who burned me are or that they're using religon as a cover to gain access to more victims.
Madoff was a crook, a con-man plain and simple, not the first nor the last end of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Houston
529 posts, read 1,188,312 times
Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I have seen and read a lot of anti semetic remarks because of what happened ...
First time I even read about Madoff been a Jew! and now that I read about it the issue is brought up by Jews. Not saying that Jews have been persecuted sever5al times but in this case it's paranoia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 02:25 PM
 
26,669 posts, read 40,690,994 times
Reputation: 14782
Quote:
Originally Posted by elikhom View Post
First time I even read about Madoff been a Jew! and now that I read about it the issue is brought up by Jews. Not saying that Jews have been persecuted sever5al times but in this case it's paranoia.
I don't know who mentioned that he is Jewish and since he is it doesn't matter, but when people start to say well this or that person....who is jewish...I often think, why are they even mentioning that. Do they mention other people and their religion?

In the case of Madoff it is understandable that they mentioned his religion since he scammed so many people of his own religion and charity groups which were related to Israel and Jewish groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
2,884 posts, read 5,296,240 times
Reputation: 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Is there a Forbes Catholic 400 as well?

If you want to talk about if Bernanke, Greenspan, etc. did their job well, than you don't have to mention that they are Jewish, or what is the even the point of mentioning it?

We all know that there are good, bad, ugly, criminal, smart, beautiful, mentally challenged, people with a disibility...amongst Jews, Catholics, Muslims, Protestant, etc
So please explain why if you mention the people you mention you have to point out they are Jewish?

Buffett great man, very wealthy, smart, funny and a example for many...and who cares what his religion is, or is it mentioned all the time? No, so why should you mention it for Greenspan if you don't have a hidden agenda, which is that you rather wanted to speak about and that he is Jewish....
The story or the fear was that the Madoff case would spark a rise into centuries old stereotypes about jews. Some think Bernanke, Greenspan should be in jail or criminalized for what they've done. Not for defrauding a group of private investors, but defrauding the public, tax payers, holders of US dollars, etc. For irresponsible credit creation.

I think it's mentioned because the story mentioned it. Did the original stories in the la times, new york times, and on NBC News mention that he was jewish? I think they just said he was a huge crook, and it was a huge scam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 07:49 PM
 
Location: NJ/NY
13,255 posts, read 11,059,590 times
Reputation: 9297
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
The story or the fear was that the Madoff case would spark a rise into centuries old stereotypes about jews. Some think Bernanke, Greenspan should be in jail or criminalized for what they've done. Not for defrauding a group of private investors, but defrauding the public, tax payers, holders of US dollars, etc. For irresponsible credit creation.
I think we share similar feelings about Greenspan and Bernanke, but I'm not sure I understand why THEIR religion is relevant. CNBC and the NYT didn't mention it, you did. Many of the men who's bidding they did, do not have Jewish names. In fact, this country has a long history of bankers and businessmen with non-jewish names screwing over the citizens for their own gain, yet you dont mention them. Was the Aldrich-Rockefeller-Morgan scam on Jekyll Island a Christian conspiracy against the people of the US? No. Just some evil men doing what evil men do. Same with Greenspan and Bernanke. Their religion is equally irrelevant. There is no reason to even bring it up. Is there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2008, 05:38 AM
 
26,669 posts, read 40,690,994 times
Reputation: 14782
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I think we share similar feelings about Greenspan and Bernanke, but I'm not sure I understand why THEIR religion is relevant. CNBC and the NYT didn't mention it, you did. Many of the men who's bidding they did, do not have Jewish names. In fact, this country has a long history of bankers and businessmen with non-jewish names screwing over the citizens for their own gain, yet you dont mention them. Was the Aldrich-Rockefeller-Morgan scam on Jekyll Island a Christian conspiracy against the people of the US? No. Just some evil men doing what evil men do. Same with Greenspan and Bernanke. Their religion is equally irrelevant. There is no reason to even bring it up. Is there?
That is exactly what I meant. Thanks.
There are crooks every where in every religion, race, etc... and also good people from every religion and race.

It is extra sad and horrible when people who were supporting the same courses are scamming others, you less expect it, but it might be that even a man like scumbag Madoff never intentially started to scam people but when things didn't work out as he expected he was a coward to admit it and rather kept going on with his facade and it ended like we all know...many lifes ruined by this man.

I don't understand why the oversight failed so much, but we have seen in every where in the Financial mess.
I was blamed by some real estate prof. for being negative about their profession, months ago...but I was unfortunately very right. Wrong people who just were greedy and no over sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2008, 05:47 AM
 
Location: Road Warrior
2,015 posts, read 5,093,395 times
Reputation: 798
SEC admits it had may chances to uncover Madoff scheme.

SEC admits it blew many chances to uncover financial fraud of Bernie Madoff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:46 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top