U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 07:18 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,296,240 times

Advertisements

I'm not a pure technician or chartist, but the long term chart of the S&P is so ominous and disturbing.

The credit bubbles show up better than on a Dow or Nasdaq chart. It looks a little bit more pure.

Look at like a 30 year weekly chart. Two gigantic bubbles that went off the page. Accelerating in 95/96, Greenspans exuberance. A gigantic top in 99/00. And a gigantic top in 07.

We've had a marginal bounce off the lows so far.

I dont think the market has discounted all the bad news about the economy. Hard for me to believe that (it's discounted everything on banks balance sheets, it's discounted higher unemployment, discounted long bonds ultimately going higher).

How do stocks go higher if bonds decline, and yields go up? I think we get a second leg down in 2-3 years when the economic revival doesn't happen. We have to test the 1995/96 levels, thats when this bubble started accelerating.

In reference to Japan, people thought it was overvalued at 18-20,000. Then it went to 40. Then it bounced around for awhile, but ultimately broke 18-20. The long term bears/pessimists get vindicated (but it takes awhile).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 08:31 AM

458 posts, read 701,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
My point was the analysts at that bank you posted are no better at making predictions than a bunch of monkeys throwing darts at a dartboard...

So you believe we still have another 45% to drop yet (on top of a 40% drop)? I'm not so sure about that......we'll see.
I am saying it could, not that it will. Historically, like in Japan in the 1990's and in our country in the 1930's it has happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or