U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 07:56 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,726,432 times

Advertisements

Interesting stories coming out about what was going on in WAMU. I knew they had some loose guidelines for Option ARMs and sub-prime loans. A lot of their growth the last few years was driven by aquisitions and expansion into risky products (same as Wachovia and many others I guess).

But the new revelations on underwriting, policies and referral fees is shocking.

American Dream, The WaMu Way

Not sure how much of it is true, but considering a few other articles about referral fees and underwriting policies it makes you wonder. Its probably going to be a few years before we know how crazy banks got. To think, we are bailing them out for such reckless behavior with very few questions asked....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 07:14 AM

28,453 posts, read 73,459,854 times
I know some former WaMu loan officers from California -- for the most part their offices did HUM with activity. When you are processing the volume of loans that they were the odds of bad apps get rejected almost naturally falls: "Keep the line moving."

If some sharp lawyers try to build a case that the lax lending standards 'tricked' borrowers into loans they could not afford and subsequently led them to lose their homes I think equally sharp lawyers cold argue that the LENDER was hurt even more deeply.

Best solution will be to dig a huge hole and bury all this mess. Look for Federal Legislation to do that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics