Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 10:48 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post

My prediction. More media bias/propaganda. But people will turn to the internet for the truth. Hopefully MSM media influence will continue to decline.
People on internet forums such as this are FAR more pessimistic than the average American. Also, if the advice of net junkies was taken by the general public, Ron Paul would be our President now. While the MSM isn't perfect, I do trust it more than college students on an internet forum that are really just speculating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 11:10 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
..... While the MSM isn't perfect, I do trust it more than college students on an internet forum that are really just speculating.
You'll probably learn better than to trust the MSM within half a year if I'm not mistaken, I think most intelligent people will.

If not, then within a few years of graduating and getting out into the real world.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,760,963 times
Is this considered a good news?
U.S. could be facing debt 'time bomb' - Washington Post- msnbc.com

Old 01-04-2009, 06:49 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,205,733 times
Quote:
People on internet forums such as this are FAR more pessimistic than the average American. Also, if the advice of net junkies was taken by the general public, Ron Paul would be our President now. While the MSM isn't perfect, I do trust it more than college students on an internet forum that are really just speculating.

first off, i don't consider myself to be pessimistic. i think we're in for a badly needed correction and reality check. i am quite happy that housing is coming down because now i can afford to own without being imprisoned by a mortgage.
secondly, many of the so called 'doomers' i consider to be people who are grounded and have realistic points of view. in addition these people tend to be better informed than the average american

Old 01-04-2009, 08:52 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
I feel optimistic about 2009.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:53 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
YES!!!!!

I thought I was the only one who understood this....thanks for stating.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:54 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
I think the "average American" is oblivious.

Case in point: A guy down the street just listed his house for sale for a price that would have been optimistic in 2005!

Has be not heard that the housing bubble has burst? I'm surprised the Realtor even took the listing....

Old 01-04-2009, 01:55 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Oblivious is a good word for it, car54.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:48 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
But the fact that is escaping you is that Ron Paul, the "net junkies", and the "college students on the internet forums" predicted this meltdown a year ago. People have been blowing them off for a year and it happened anyway, just like they said it would. Did MSNBC warn of this over and over again for the past year? Personally, I am hoping we break this deflationary spiral but I will not discount someone's opinion if they think we wont. Especially if that person has been right about our economic outlook thus far when the mainstream has been wrong.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:57 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I think he was referring to all the nonsense that occurred AFTER the 9/11 attacks, not the attacks themselves. We even attacked a country that had nothing whatever to do with it.

PS: I was at my desk in the Pentagon at 9:38 am on Sept 11, 2001. I lost several close friends. I still don't buy a lot of the rhetoric that was spewed afterwards...
Exactly. A huge spike in fear.

Funny how the real fear ended, around 2003, 04. Then we had the faux Iraq fear (WMD's and mushroom clouds). Then the fear continued to linger. It's like the torch got passed to the fear over the economy. ATM's are going to seize up. The consumer world as we know it is going to end.

And about the net junkies/college students online being obsessed with Ron Paul. They predicted all this a few years ago, while the MSM was busy with Anna Nicole Smith, Angelina Jolie, "Missing White Women" (Lacy Peterson). MSM has been far behind the curve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics