U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what will be the outcome of the green economy?
will it be the next major "bubble" to burst? 3 8.82%
will it be America's answer to sustainable capitalism? 6 17.65%
will it supplement the current industry by creating niche markets within the economy? 11 32.35%
will it just be a passing fad? 14 41.18%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:59 AM

4,121 posts, read 7,959,064 times

Advertisements

If you think about wind energy and the huge windmills it needs, you can see in the near future these turbines getting smaller and smaller. Soon you will be able to have one installed on your home like those big antenna people used to have. This will power your home and save tons of money in electricity each month. Of course this will spur even more jobs like factories to build them, installers, and so on. As technology advances and they put out more and more of these for cheaper, every business will have one and the money saved will be enormous! This will of course be put back into the economy and the country will get going again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 12:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
24,643 posts, read 42,277,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
..., you can see in the near future these turbines getting smaller and smaller. Soon you will be able to have one installed on your home like those big antenna people used to have. This will power your home and save tons of money in electricity each month. ... As technology advances and they put out more and more of these for cheaper, every business will have one ...
don't think so, but I HOPE so. There are lots of small turbines for homes, and quite improved, but it is not a reliable source, (storage?) even in my WINDY location (of course federal 'scenic' rules dictate I can't have a tower). The eniviro's are not too happy about small turbines and their effect on birds... Towers / turbines will be considered dangerous and unsightly in populated areas. Commercial buildings use far more power than the wind can bring.

A combination of all + new building practices is vital. Viability, of course, is dictated by economics. The sleaze marketeers seriously disrupt the economics as evidenced during the Carter 'energy credit' years. Prices skyrocketed for items getting credits, it soon became unaffordable and impractical. Same will / is happening now. 3 yrs ago there were ~ 10% sleaze bags at energy fairs, and 50% + of innovation folks. Now there are 80% sleaze bags and 10 % innovation. Very sad.

Quote:
there are two types of geothermal,
isn't that too bad that the marketeers are trying to disguise "ground source heat pumps" as geo thermal. These have always had an extraordinary price tag, even for the heating units. (installing yourself saves very little). They are very efficient and should have much longer life, but as usual... the economics led themselves to the mass produced air source units.

Hopefully some folks are working seriously on annualized solar gain (storing summer heat for winter use) Some designs are pretty good, but it seems to have much potential. Laying storage beds and ground source heat exchangers under parking lots that are void of utilities would be nice. There are a lot of passive solutions that can help, but conservation is the primary benefit. we need to re-engineer a lot of our designs and processes (including transportation). Battery technology has a ways to go also.

I don't think it is a fad, I don't think it can be legislated. It needs to be a shift of thinking and interwoven into our lives. That is not gonna happen with cheap electricity and copious coal / fuel use.

(btw it is 63 F in my house at the moment...) I 'dress warm'. The laptop is heating it I havn't turned my furnace on yet this winter, but 7 days of 11F with 60 mph winds tempted me. The freezing rain helped warm the house.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:58 PM

406 posts, read 1,235,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Green is a passing fad and nothing more. Am I going to buy a wind farm or an electric car for $85k? You got to be kidding me. Green is just another marking piece of bull created to make us feel we are doing some thing good for mother earth. It is no wonder why marketing majors in college also study psychology.
you would never need to purchase a wind farm, just the electricity from them. when the price of natural gas eventually will rise, the price of wind generated electric will drop dramatically, as there are already wind farms to purchase electricity from. right now, natural gas is offsetting the need to purchase wind electric.

as for an electric car, in the near future, when we can reach over 75% capacity for solar cells, we will be able to power our cars by parking them in parking lots. this idea has already been investigated and 75% is the golden number. i don't know of any electric cars which cost 85k, but there are models out now which run anywhere from 15k-40k.

as for gas powered cars, we are already seeing a gas tax increase, and i predict there will be more to help wean americans off of carbon based fuels in the future. just my prediction going off of what has been going on in the market. as for me, i will invest in whatever technology looks viable, including nuclear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or