U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what will be the outcome of the green economy?
will it be the next major "bubble" to burst? 3 8.82%
will it be America's answer to sustainable capitalism? 6 17.65%
will it supplement the current industry by creating niche markets within the economy? 11 32.35%
will it just be a passing fad? 14 41.18%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:11 AM

406 posts, read 1,234,862 times

Advertisements

with the newly evolving "green economy" revolving around sustainability and environmentalism is picking up steam, spurred by consumer interest, and slowly carving a niche into our economy ever so slowly. is this new economy the new bubble to burst, or will it be our country's answer to sustainable capitalism? alan greenspan proved that no one understands the economy, and now it's your turn to guess what will happen in the next few years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 01:19 AM

i will go first. i think it will be a sustainable answer to capitalism. while i, at first, believe it will help prop up suffering sectors of our economy in the short term (examples would be sustainable building for the construction industry, and alternative fuels for the automobile industry), i believe in the end there will be an influx of "green" IPOs which tout sustainable and green methods of doing business and practice. I believe most of these businesses will be either directly related to a green or sustainable industry, or very closely related. the novelty of this new industry, as well as consumer interest, and not to mention abundant resources (sustainable, and free energy) which can help stabilize prices for goods, will be enough to make this the answer to capitalism as we know it. this is one bubble which will not burst. but then again, i am always optimistic.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:52 AM

20,521 posts, read 27,045,136 times
The only way for the "green economy" to take off is if big business gets involved. It is a very costly proposition(upfront). So many incentives and rebates will be needed.

For the individual it is a fad in "most" cases. Now that gas prices have come down so much people will go back to their old ways. Easily forgotten.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:33 AM

5,472 posts, read 21,914,093 times
Green will work well when it competes economically... until then it is just an option forced with tax incentives.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:38 PM

3,853 posts, read 11,855,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Green will work well when it competes economically... until then it is just an option forced with tax incentives.
Green can compete economically now but there is too much government subsidies etc that are killing the green economy. Right now, solar/wind/geothermal are cheaper than coal when you factor in government subsidies, health costs, pollution and so on. Solar, wind, and geothermal use very little land resources when you look at the big picture of coal. They use a fraction of the land, little to no water at all, and zero pollution. Add in some high yield ethanol feed stocks with plug in hybrids and this country could easily go oil free. That would be a 800 billion stimulus to the economy every year if we did that.

Brazil is the 5th largest economy and they get a large portion of their energy needs with sugar cane ethanol so it isn't something that a small economy can only do.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:01 AM

9,324 posts, read 24,268,924 times
Sustainable economic activity cannot exist with an infinately expanding money supply. Until the federal reserve is eliminated any "green" economy is just a passing fad.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:40 AM

5,472 posts, read 21,914,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Solar, wind, and geothermal use very little land resources when you look at the big picture of coal. They use a fraction of the land, little to no water at all, and zero pollution.
Geothermal certainly produces in select areas and has only been limited by very large devlopment costs and high development risk.

Solar does not at this time compete economically as it still has a high cost per KWH produced.

Wind can have a good economic return if it can be placed where transmission lines already exist.

Both wind and solar have questionable economics when you factor in the fast response generating plants (ususally NG) needed as backup when wind and sun are not available.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:55 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,339,914 times
Green is a passing fad and nothing more. Am I going to buy a wind farm or an electric car for $85k? You got to be kidding me. Green is just another marking piece of bull created to make us feel we are doing some thing good for mother earth. It is no wonder why marketing majors in college also study psychology.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:39 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,336,169 times
I voted for this one "will it supplement the current industry by creating niche markets within the economy?" I think some places it'll be more popular than others. It'll take time to get it going.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Geothermal certainly produces in select areas and has only been limited by very large devlopment costs and high development risk.

Solar does not at this time compete economically as it still has a high cost per KWH produced.

Wind can have a good economic return if it can be placed where transmission lines already exist.

Both wind and solar have questionable economics when you factor in the fast response generating plants (ususally NG) needed as backup when wind and sun are not available.
there are two types of geothermal, one which deals with the earth's thermal mass, and one that deals with heat produced by the earth (either water or hot rock). i am mostly talking about the thermal mass energy which can decrease your heating and cooling costs to almost nothing. to be done correctly, it needs to be incorporated into the foundation of the home as it is being built. it is extremely difficult to retrofit a house with this technology, unless you are on an acreage. within city limits, i will go ahead and say it is impossible because there is nowhere to bury lines in the earth... but regardless, new homes, and even suburban homes being remodeled can reduce their heating and cooling bills to almost nothing right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or