U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 09:31 AM

4,933 posts, read 6,975,709 times

Advertisements

when is that bubble gunna pop? My guess would be February or March 2009. Fourth quarter numbers are gunna be ugly and I think alot of places wanted to get through the holidays before closing down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 09:35 AM

17,031 posts, read 27,563,204 times
Yep. Going to be a lot of vacant strip malls that were overbuilt to begin with.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:05 PM

28,453 posts, read 73,487,294 times
Of course there was overbuilding of strip malls and a lot of other relatively easy to lease property. Lending rates for developers were low for a long time. They took advantage of that by building. It is not a crime -- in fact to all the contractors that were able to expand their business it was a HUGE plus.

I suspect some of the mall owners will go bust. If they did not have reserves sufficient to get them over the INEVITABLE ups and downs of vacancies and such they are some operators with better balance sheets and more conservative outlook that WILL swallow 'em up.

If the properties are in areas with solid access to consumers there will probably be some retailers willing to relocate and deals will be cut. In other cases, where the malls were marginal to begin with, the vacancy cycle will be much harder to weather. It would not surprise me to see some properties plowed under, maybe redeveloped. There are well run integrated retailers that would be happy to buy land at low enough prices and then have a mega-WalMart or something locate on the site. The possibilities are endless for people with some cash and willingness to take some risk. From low priced "Dollar Store" to all sorts of non-retail use (healthcare, office, service, perhaps in ultra small scale 'peaker plants') or even muncipal / non-proftis creating greenspace I can envision all kinds of things that malls would be usefull for...

Old 01-03-2009, 04:55 AM
Status: "In my anti Corona hidey hole......." (set 7 days ago)

5,412 posts, read 6,446,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I can envision all kinds of things that malls would be usefull for...
Hospitals
Universities
Prison compounds
Homeless shelters

But before recovery, the illness has to run it's course first, before any of the alternative uses can be viable.(except maybe the last two)

Old 01-03-2009, 09:06 AM

6,585 posts, read 23,251,284 times
The strip mall near my house has been mostly empty for over 20 years. The owners are so picky about what is there. They would rather it sit empty than having something low brow like a convenience store.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:34 PM

3,853 posts, read 11,855,721 times
Just look at any industrial or commercial property reit. The bubble has already burst. It just takes time for RE to let the loses flow through. It isn't like the stock market where it is an instant sell.

Just look at prologis (PLD) they are on the of largest owners of industrial properties and their stock is down nearly 75% from a year ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics