U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2009, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles Area
3,306 posts, read 3,557,484 times
Reputation: 592

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I'm just going by what my doctor told me (for a low carb diet) and what the cheddar cheese nutritional label said.
Your doctor told you cheese doesn't have much lactose? I suggest you get a new doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Another complication is that there are other intolerances and bowel conditions with similar symptoms to lactose intolerance.
You can easily get tested for lactose intolerance, its not some mystery bowel condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2009, 08:24 PM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,547,783 times
Reputation: 8057
My doctor told me cheese has no significant carbs, and lactose is a carb. Read some cheese nutritional labels some day, I have and didn't notice any with more than a gram of carbohydrate per serving.

ETA: Well, I've decided to go look up mozzarella, and per ounce it's the same as cheddar in terms of carbs: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Cheese, mozzarella, whole milk, low moisture

So my doctor was right, and you were wrong, Humanoid.

There are also other types of mozzarella and other cheeses at that site. I didn't find any with more than 1 gram per serving of real cheese (not the cheese food or cheese product or whatever they call the other stuff). It may be that the Velveeta kind of crap has some amount of lactose.

Those numbers are for a one-ounce serving .... it might be that if you ate several times an ounce that it might add up to enough lactose to give off some serious gas. Most people do eat more than an ounce worth on pizza.

So why is Oscottscotto having problems from pizza? It could be that he's eating enough slices to add up to a problem, or it might be that he has a dairy allergy or other food intolerance, especially if he hasn't been given a definitive test yet. I'm guessing he's right about it being from lactose since he gets relief by using the enzyme tablets.

According to the Merck Manual, the definitive test is a hydrogen gas breath test:
Quote:
Lactose intolerance can usually be diagnosed with a careful history supported by dietary challenge. Patients usually have a history of intolerance to milk and dairy foods. The diagnosis is also suggested if the stool from chronic or intermittent diarrhea is acidic (pH < 6) and can be confirmed by a H2 breath or a lactose tolerance test.
In the H2 breath test, 50 g of lactose is given orally and the H2 produced by bacterial metabolism of undigested lactose is measured with a breath meter at 2, 3, and 4 h postingestion. Most affected patients have an increase in expired H2 of > 20 ppm over baseline. Sensitivity and specificity are > 95%.
The lactose tolerance test is less specific. Oral lactose (1.0 to 1.5 g/kg body weight) is given. Blood glucose is measured before ingestion and 60 and 120 min after. Lactose-intolerant patients develop diarrhea, abdominal bloating, and discomfort within 20 to 30 min, and their blood glucose levels do not rise > 20 mg/dL (< 1.1 mmol/L) above baseline. Low lactase activity in a jejunal biopsy specimen is diagnostic, but endoscopy is needed to obtain a specimen and is not routine. Carbohydrate Intolerance: Malabsorption Syndromes: Merck Manual Professional
If he hasn't had that, then it's still not certain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Yes
2,660 posts, read 6,152,563 times
Reputation: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
So why is Oscottscotto having problems from pizza? It could be that he's eating enough slices to add up to a problem.
You are not a real pizza eater if you go out and eat less than 5 slices

No need for message board strangers to argue over a minor food condition I have though ... on the business and investment forums at that lol. By the way, it's been tested - lactose intolerence. Some people just develop it as they get older . I mean, I can eat a handful of M&M's ... but anything more (or really anything with cheese or milk - trust me, I've tried) is torturous a couple of hours later. But if I drink soy milk and avoid pizza or anything with milk/cheese - I am completely fine. I've learned to live with it, and actually eat healthier, as stated earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles Area
3,306 posts, read 3,557,484 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
There are also other types of mozzarella and other cheeses at that site. I didn't find any with more than 1 gram per serving of real cheese (not the cheese food or cheese product or whatever they call the other stuff).
I repeat, the amount of lactose in cheese is related to how long it is aged. Mozzarella tends not be aged long. "Low moisture" mozzarella is aged longer. In fact in general the harder (and less moisture) the cheese the longer it has been aged. Looking at the nutritional label for one cheese means absolutely nothing. Mozzarella can vary greatly in the amount of lactose it contents, it again depends on how long it is aged. Pizza places often use a mix of cheese s anyways though. So all pizza is not going to effect them the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Those numbers are for a one-ounce serving .... it might be that if you ate several times an ounce that it might add up to enough lactose
Your typical 2% milk has aroudn 1.3 grams of lactose per 1 ounce. Real cheese ranges anywhere from having hardly any lactose to having around 1 gram per ounce. The claim that cheese doesn't have much lactose is wrong in general, it is only true of particular cheeses.

Also, it should go without saying that it is the amount of lactose that you eat that is a factor. Even lactose intolerant folks and generally handle a few ounces of milk, etc.

Anyhow, you can test for lactose intolerance with a blood test or a stool test, in addition to what you mentioned. I think they usually use a blood test. Not that it matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 01:05 PM
 
19,099 posts, read 20,671,405 times
Reputation: 8386
Does anyone use real cheese anymore?? Pizza hut doesn't even have real cheese... lol... but its nice that they charge you the same as if it was real cheese...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 01:47 PM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,547,783 times
Reputation: 8057
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
You are not a real pizza eater if you go out and eat less than 5 slices

No need for message board strangers to argue over a minor food condition I have though ... on the business and investment forums at that lol.
It's just a teaser if it's less than 5 slices and loaded with toppings!

I wouldn't have kept the tangent going if I hadn't been challenged a bit rudely by someone who doesn't know as much about nutrition as he thinks he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I repeat, the amount of lactose in cheese is related to how long it is aged. Mozzarella tends not be aged long. "Low moisture" mozzarella is aged longer. In fact in general the harder (and less moisture) the cheese the longer it has been aged. Looking at the nutritional label for one cheese means absolutely nothing. Mozzarella can vary greatly in the amount of lactose it contents, it again depends on how long it is aged. Pizza places often use a mix of cheese s anyways though. So all pizza is not going to effect them the same way.


Your typical 2% milk has aroudn 1.3 grams of lactose per 1 ounce. Real cheese ranges anywhere from having hardly any lactose to having around 1 gram per ounce. The claim that cheese doesn't have much lactose is wrong in general, it is only true of particular cheeses.
It would only take you a few minutes to look up various cheeses in varying amounts to find the misinformation in your posts, Humanoid. I haven't yet seen more than one gram of sugar per 100 grams of cheese, which is more than 3 ounces. One gram is trivial in terms of carbohydrate content, and probably not much of a problem.

Quote:
Also, it should go without saying that it is the amount of lactose that you eat that is a factor. Even lactose intolerant folks and generally handle a few ounces of milk, etc.
Pretty much what I said, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Does anyone use real cheese anymore?? Pizza hut doesn't even have real cheese... lol... but its nice that they charge you the same as if it was real cheese...
This brings us back to the topic ..... I heard a couple of decades ago from a Pizza Hut manager that their biggest expense was cheese at that time. Who knows what they might be using now.

But like you wrote earlier, retail prices haven't gone down much. Someone along the way is pocketing the extra money, and it ain't the farmers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 01:48 PM
 
Location: the D
347 posts, read 1,213,781 times
Reputation: 170
Unbelievable, and prices are still high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles Area
3,306 posts, read 3,557,484 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It would only take you a few minutes to look up various cheeses in varying amounts to find the misinformation in your posts... One gram is trivial in terms of carbohydrate content, and probably not much of a problem.
How do I look up the nutritional content of the cheese used by the Pizza place down the street? I can't... Looking up the nutritional content is all fine if you are at the grocery store, but does not work particularly well when eating out. Looking out "various cheeses" isn't going to help as most can differ quite a bit in their lactose content (again, related to how much it is aged).

We aren't talking about silly low-carb diets, in that case cheese is fine, we are talking about lactose and in that case small amounts can case a problem.

Anyhow, back to milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Right where I want to be.
4,507 posts, read 8,184,818 times
Reputation: 3339
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
But you know the biggest "in your face" thing... milk prices are STILL high... as well as eggs and just about every grocery item.... somebody is getting paid extra and it isn't the consumer...
Not all grocery prices are down yet but milk here has dropped $2 per gallon and eggs are down to $0.99 from $3 a dozen. I'm not complaining. In fact, I found a store selling excess milk for $0.89 a gallon and bought as much as I could fit in my freezer!!

Cheese is still a bit high still but I only buy the real stuff so we've just been eating less cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 09:15 AM
 
19,099 posts, read 20,671,405 times
Reputation: 8386
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Not all grocery prices are down yet but milk here has dropped $2 per gallon and eggs are down to $0.99 from $3 a dozen. I'm not complaining. In fact, I found a store selling excess milk for $0.89 a gallon and bought as much as I could fit in my freezer!!

Cheese is still a bit high still but I only buy the real stuff so we've just been eating less cheese.
You have a nice grocery store... mine is still charging over $3 a gallon of milk and STILL a little under $3 for a dozen eggs... I don't think there are any stores that sells any "excess" food in my area... perhaps you have a direct local farm supplier to your store wheras my chain probably buys it from california or something...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:33 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top