U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:09 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,245,791 times

Advertisements

I suppose for some the granite and steel and perfectly painted walls are what they want but I have to think that a lot of people would find that too much. I think a lot of people like to see a vision of what the place will be for themselves as a home.

My first house was a mess when we looked. The carpet was very old green shag, the drapes needed replacing, the walls were this very pale green ( I expect the furnature had been green too lol). It needed carpet, painting and lots of cosmetic stuff. The wallpaper in the kitchen was hidious. But did this deter us? No, it was *why* we picked it.

Paint, carpet, and a few other do it yourself things and it was *ours*. (same counter tops) Same thing for my mobile home, which was a blank slate with white walls and missing tile. The sale included the seller paying fot the tile but I got to pick my own.

Same thing in extreem for this house. It had the plumming mostly done, the electrical started and the gas line non extintant. The price was a huge discount. So I know all these things are NEW in a house built in 1930. The paint job is terrible and before it got cold I could only paint one room but I can wait. The hardwood floors need refinishing but they ARE hardwood floors. No, it won't be perfect right away but when its done it will be just like I want it.

I'd like to see, a year after these houses are redone to be perfect, how many walls have been painted and carpets removed, flooring replaced and the like. A lot of people like the blank state of their own imagination over someone elses.

I like shows like Trading Spaces because they show ways of improving a room or house, but also how to do it (within the capability of someone who isn't an expert) and it doesn't cost huge bucks. Some of the design shows on HGTV also are good for ideas, especially Design on a Dime. But the other day I bipped through the channel guide on HGTV for two days. With the exception of only a few shows everything else was about selling, staging, value and flipping.... HGTV needs to revise its line up with some shows about how to bring a forclosed house thats been trashed to liveable without bankrupting yourself (read, cheaper counters and no stainless steel) and shows on how to do simple, normal home repairs yourself since many who are still there will be needing that information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 08:34 PM

681 posts, read 2,647,190 times
Let me see if I understand the reasoning behind this thread........I hop on a bus and ride downtown and rob a bank and hop on a different bus and go back home.......and it's the BUS DRIVERS' fault?

OK, that's a relief. I started to think I was having bad thoughts, but now I understand. I was a victim of greedy bus drivers. Thanks, guys, for clearing that all up.

I think I'll fly to Fort Knox, KY, next week.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:01 PM

2,197 posts, read 6,817,682 times
[quote=ndfmnlf;6896678]
Quote:
I'm already in the 35% tax bracket, so I can very ably take care of myself.
Wow, thanks for picking up the slack! That sweet new outdoor kitchen Kendra was raving about is going to set me back at least $60K. So I'm really, really glad you and Obama are going to help me out. I can probably afford to have granite tops outside, thanks to big wheelers like you.

If you want my old cherry cabinets-- ebony is much more au courant-- I'll have one of the contractors park 'em out by the curb. I was going to burn them for firewood in the new slate fire pit to be less wasteful, but kiln-dried mesquite smells soooo much nicer.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:50 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,096,237 times
We are a shallow people......face it...........

Old 01-09-2009, 06:41 AM

4,182 posts, read 5,914,566 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
But what I'm saying is that the house IS within my reach. It isn't a financial stretch for me, even if I don't meet your guidelines. Maybe I'm better with money than you are Would it be a financial hardship if I lost my job? Sure. But I could not afford rent then either, so I'd be homeless in either case. It would not be advantageous in that situation to be a renter. Hey, I can even afford cable now - before I bought my house, I never watched HGTV because I didn't have it. I was saving for my downpayment with that money.
If you think the house is within your reach (let's say you could pay for it in cash), then the rule of thumb doesn't apply to you obviously. That's why it's called a rule of thumb, not the Ten Commandments. So I'm not sure why you're even responding to this thread if it's irrelevant to your situation.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:12 AM

4,288 posts, read 13,616,297 times
Let's stay on topic and not argue. Please!

Old 07-07-2009, 10:21 AM

15,856 posts, read 26,045,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
I always laugh on "My House is Worth What?" when the realtor tells people their house is worth a bazillion dollars and they jump up and down and hug each other, and the realtor says "congratulations." For what?! You can put ANY number on a house, but you have to have someone PAY that amount for there to be congratulations.

And I agree about these buyers. Just last night there was a show with a young couple, with one baby and another on the way and their "budget" was $300,000. Where does a young couple with two small kids (read: daycare) find the money to buy a $300,000 house??? They had lived with her mother and saved a down payment, but still, what is it these people do for a living that can support a $300,000 house? I'm always dumbfounded by people's "budget."
Oh H*ll yeah, I too want to know what they do for a living to afford a 300K home as well...........and to be picky as well !!!! Ugh !!

Old 07-07-2009, 10:32 AM

15,856 posts, read 26,045,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Recently, in addition to their "those (relatively new, perfectly fine, white/black) appliances must go! Buyers are looking for stainless" and "you need to replace those counter tops with granite" they've added "those (beautiful, maybe 4 year-old) oak cabinets have got to go! They're dated!"

I almost fell out of my seat when they painted over and/or ripped out practically brand new oak cabinets in a recent show. That is just plain stupid. Who in their right mind would ever prefer oak cabinets in a 4 year-old house be painted white?

I guess the cabinet manufacturers must be suffering a real slowdown to try and convince owners of 4 year-old homes that their kitchen cabinets are "dated."
I so agree with that. I think I would definetly notice that cabinets were painted, and I would ask myself why????
I just can't stand the granite / stainless thing, and FTR I hate stainless, and whoe to say the granite picked out is the right color.....

Old 07-07-2009, 10:53 AM

887 posts, read 2,709,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Oh H*ll yeah, I too want to know what they do for a living to afford a 300K home as well...........and to be picky as well !!!! Ugh !!
Perhaps they make money?

Old 07-07-2009, 11:35 AM

2,193 posts, read 4,616,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
What's the big deal if someone buys a 300K home? Some probably earn six figures, have businesses, live frugally, and save a lot of money to put down on a home.

If someone is forking up 300K for something, don't they have a right to be picky?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or