U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:53 AM

2,197 posts, read 6,812,297 times

Advertisements

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having what you want when it's your home. But when people go to sell, they have to look at it as a product they're bringing to market. Their home becomes a house-- one among many. If buyers want SS and granite, then the seller can either choose to give the buyers what they want or make the price attractive enough so that they can replace what they don't like with what they do like.

The shows that don't deal with selling property cater to a myriad of tastes and styles, and some are really unique. That home made of sheet metal and plumbing pipe was really... something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 06:39 AM

15,856 posts, read 25,998,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I watch HGTV pretty often (I LOVE watching those 'housefinding' shows) but personally, their interior design and decorating seems so sterile to me. It's too clean, too boring, too run of the mill for me. I like a little bit of clutter, and what's wrong with older appliances that still work fine? I think Stainless steel is great for the first few months, but just wait until you get that first dent, or it starts warping a little. Granite countertops? No thanks, makes the kitchen feel like an operating room.

I guess I like my old kitchen, my old appliances (*gasp* we don't have a dishwasher and the cabinets are painted white!!) and my comfortable, homey house. If someone is going to judge me based on that, then I simply don't want to be their friend.
I love you too, seems like a normal person to me !!! oh, BTW We do not have a dish washer either, oh wait, we do.....it's me !!!! LOL

Old 07-10-2009, 11:06 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,079,266 times
I think it is ridiculous that anyone could say with a straight face that HGTV is the reason behind all the carelessness and irresponsibility of the house flippers or people who bought into mortgages they couldn't afford,etc...
People should have enough common sense and business saavy to know that if you make $75K a year and the bank tells you that you can afford an $800K mortgage,there is something wrong!
Just because the realtors on HGTV are obviously not looking out for their clients best interest as far as finances,doesn't mean anyone has to listen to them.
Remember,these are tv shows and HGTV needs ratings just like the rest of the networks.

Hopefully the majority of these viewers watch the shows to get ideas,hints and a little know how,not because they truly want to invest in a dump of a house,redo it and think they are going to make a huge profit on it! especially not today.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:15 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,210,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I watch HGTV pretty often (I LOVE watching those 'housefinding' shows) but personally, their interior design and decorating seems so sterile to me. It's too clean, too boring, too run of the mill for me. I like a little bit of clutter, and what's wrong with older appliances that still work fine? I think Stainless steel is great for the first few months, but just wait until you get that first dent, or it starts warping a little. Granite countertops? No thanks, makes the kitchen feel like an operating room.

I guess I like my old kitchen, my old appliances (*gasp* we don't have a dishwasher and the cabinets are painted white!!) and my comfortable, homey house. If someone is going to judge me based on that, then I simply don't want to be their friend.

My kitchen is in a house built in 1930, remodeled but the kitchen is the same. No dishwasher. Cabinets made out of something and painted white with cheap paint. New ones standard white cabinets. Old frig, new stove (yeah!!!!!). Eventually the curddy old linoliam will have to get ripped off the floor, but paint first and with all the drips and spills will probaby do that part in tile over keeping the hard wood floors.

Sorry to the folks who *have to* replace cabinets that are the wrong color or not "stylish" enough, but we need less old cabinets in landfills and more attached to the wall. Sanding and staining are not that hard. Its sad that we can't overcome this urge to waste what is good for some standard of pretty.

Now, if someone gave me a set of those new washer/dryer types using steam, boy would I be happy. But right now I'd just be happy if the dryer was fixed.

Ah, I'd LOVE for HGTV to see my bedroom, which I just finished painting. One wall is a sunset. One a sunrise with a large tree overhanging the horizon. The other wall is a line of hills with misty blue and sun at high noon. Just got to sand the floor and get off all the old paint that was already there and the new paint that missed the cover.

When did we go from putting value on function and using something until it *needed* replacing to ripping it out if its the wrong color. Someone said that even if its granite and the wrong color its still *worthless*???? Its a functional countertop which took resources to create, and that gives it much worth. If I got stuck with a tile counter made of little bits of tile like my mom had I'd put a coating on it to seal it away but even that I'd not waste.

I'd really like to see what some of these places on HGTV look like in a year. I suspect much less like a movie set. Of course HGTV does have the design shows and the ones that show you HOW to do things so it does have a reason to exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or