U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 07:36 AM

22,770 posts, read 27,036,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
We blame everyone but ourselves for our own stupidity.

It's HGTV's fault we are in the housing crisis?

I also hear it's the Realtors fault, the banks and the appraisers. (they made us buy that house)

Oh and it's McDonald's fault we are fat. (they made us eat their food)

We are all just poor victims. It's everyone elses fault but our own, poor us.
I get confused when you use first-person plural.

I'm just an innocent bystander!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 07:49 AM

4,610 posts, read 10,340,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I get confused when you use first-person plural.

I'm just an innocent bystander!
Sorry to confuse you, you must be victimized by it.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:04 AM

2,197 posts, read 6,817,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Ripping out 4 year old perfectly fine oak cabinets in the name of "renovation" is the epitome of the wastefulness of our culture. Childless couples buying 3500 sq ft homes with 5 bedrooms is another example. Talk about inefficiency and waste, not to mention environmental degradation! Illegal aliens who pack 3 families into one 1800 sq foot home are at least using every square inch of living space and not leaving anything to waste.
What about the 50% of the population driving gas-hogging SUVs? Or all those families using disposable diapers (almost 100%, wouldn't you say)? Or people using pesticides in their gardens? Or the 95% that don't recycle. Yet replacing kitchen cabinets is the epitome of waste and degradation?

If people can afford to renovate their kitchen or live in a larger house, why is it anyone's business but their own? It isn't affecting or inconveniencing anyone else, and it's their money, their choice. And it's perfectly legal-- unlike illegal aliens packing three families into one 1800 SF home and causing a multitude of problems for their neighbors.

Simple solution: if someone doesn't like a certain program or network, they don't have to watch it. They can watch NASCAR or Animal Planet or Telemundo or whatever's more their style. Other people choose to watch HGTV or TLC or Discovery and that's their choice, too. To each his own.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:24 AM

3,855 posts, read 11,992,745 times
I never really take the stuff I see on HGTV seriously (refering to the flipping and "what's my house worth?" stuff). It's just typically so far out of my life that I can't relate. The places I've lived have never had the sort of market where million dollar homes are the norm and it was possible to put $100k into a house and sell it for $400k.

But what I have picked up from HGTV are ideas of how to make my own home livable. (ie Hang a picture here and there to give a different feel to space, rearrange the furniture, paint rooms a different color depending on a number of things....)Nothing to do with granite or SS....paint is cheap, rearranging furniture is free. Before I may have just put furniture wherever it would fit.

I've also seen some shows that have highlighted some renovations-gone-bad where people have spent big money to have an amature do a job with disasterous consequences....then another guy comes in to fix the mess (what the show is about). That's reality and I think it's helpful for people to know that they can get royally hosed if they don't watch out for dishonest people in the remodeling world.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:36 AM

22,770 posts, read 27,036,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Sorry to confuse you, you must be victimized by it.
Why do you assume that I'm a victim of something?

Old 01-07-2009, 08:40 AM

4,182 posts, read 5,914,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
What about the 50% of the population driving gas-hogging SUVs? Or all those families using disposable diapers (almost 100%, wouldn't you say)? Or people using pesticides in their gardens? Or the 95% that don't recycle. Yet replacing kitchen cabinets is the epitome of waste and degradation?

If people can afford to renovate their kitchen or live in a larger house, why is it anyone's business but their own? It isn't affecting or inconveniencing anyone else, and it's their money, their choice. And it's perfectly legal-- unlike illegal aliens packing three families into one 1800 SF home and causing a multitude of problems for their neighbors.
Ahh..there's the rub. How many people that do renovate their kitchens (replacing perfectly fine oak cabinets) can truly afford it? Is it really "their money" that they are spending? Aren't we in a real estate meltdown precisely because people are spending money they don't really have? Do you even understand what the show "What's My House Worth" is all about? It's about getting a high appraisal for their house so they can refinance their mortgage to enable them to renovate. In other words, they really don't have the money...they want to borrow more to "upgrade" their house. If they had the money, they'd be paying cash for the renovation.....but then that would defeat the purpose of the show.

And yeah, such wasteful behavior does affect others. Can you tell me again why we the fiscally responsible are supposed to bail you out?

Old 01-07-2009, 09:44 AM

2,193 posts, read 4,616,716 times
I remember watching one episode of My House is Worth..What? And this family wanted their house appraised for a certain amount to go on VACATION!!!!

I couldn't believe it. Did people forget how to save money for a vacation...Unbelievable!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:11 AM

7,771 posts, read 17,230,289 times
sheenie2000 wrote:
Did people forget how to save money for a vacation
I wish it was a simple matter of forgetfulness. Unfortunately, many people NEVER learned how to save for a vacation, or anything else for that matter.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:18 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,089,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post

Simple solution: if someone doesn't like a certain program or network, they don't have to watch it. They can watch NASCAR or Animal Planet or Telemundo or whatever's more their style. Other people choose to watch HGTV or TLC or Discovery and that's their choice, too. To each his own.
The problem is they probably can't afford to renovate their house which is why they're looking for a high appraisal so they can re-finance. Also many people watching those shows think "wow, I can refinance my house and make it look like theirs!" And maybe you would say they're stupid, but these shows woulnd't be so popular if there weren't a whole lot of people who think that way. And yes, I also think that these shows have contributed to the problems we have today in the housing market.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:23 AM

12,461 posts, read 18,063,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
Well...gee...I can't disagree that HGTV played a significant role in helping encourage the stupid, the gullible, and the greedy into helping bring the economy down. But, blaming HGTV is just (yet) another example of what has become an American past-time. That is, ignore all responsibility, ignore accountability, and blame someone or anything when you screw up. I live in a house I can afford, and it never occurred to me that I was "an idiot and a loser" for doing so. And if I gain a pound or two during the holidays, it never occurs to me to blame the grocery store or Jesus.

Post of the Year!!!! And the year was only 4 days old when it was made. Well said and quite true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or