Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 08:53 PM

18 posts, read 75,497 times

Advertisements

we got a letter from discover identity theft protection that they detected, that i have some unpaid bill claimed by jefferson capital systems LLC, and showing up in my credit history.i have no idea about any bills(i never had any unpaid bill) and didnt recieve any letter from jefferson collections.did anyone face this kinda situation?is this some kind of fraud?i am so worried,since we guys are planing to buy a house in next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 10:06 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,246 times
If you are certain that the charge is not yours, contact Discover and report it as a fraud.

I just googled the name and came upon this website. Jefferson Capital Systems, LLC

Jefferson seems to be a collection agency. Maybe you can call them and find out who it is you owe the money too. When they tell you, and you determine that you do owe the money pay it. You're supposed to pay it to the collection agency, but what happens is that the person you owe the money never gets paid in full because the collection agency gets part of the money. So you may then want to contact the original creditor and pay any difference too.

Of course this might be bad advice so let's wait for some other opinions. Good luck to you!

Old 01-05-2009, 06:15 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
Do not, under any circumstances, contact a collection agency. It's a great way to have whatever it is stick to your credit report.

In a situation like this, I think that CreditBoards.com - Credit Help, Credit Repair Tips, News, Forums is your best bet. It specializes on things like this. You'll probably need to remove old addresses from your credit reports, order copies of any credit report affected, and write letters (the board provides the text) asking the credit bureau (Transunion, and all) to verify the item in question. The credit bureau will contact the collection agency for proof of the item and if it's not legitimate it will be removed and it's all taken care of.

I helped my fiance go through this about a year ago. Not a fun process, but in her case the item was not legitimate (medical billing error) and we got it taken care of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics