Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:33 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,588 times

Advertisements

Well I just got off the phone with a bookeeper at a Convience/Gas station,again. Again on our bank site they have overcharged my debt card and recharged my debt card. This has happened several time since this summer. I don't agree with when I fill with gas. They first charge $50.00 or $75.00 right off. No matter how much or little gas I get. Then a few hours or days they readjust my card to the origional purchase. BUT, for that time I have the money taken out of my checking account. Thankfully I don't run my account anywhere near the bottom. So this doesn't affect it. But when they don't readjust the origional 50 or 75 that is when I have to call to make them do it. Is this rampant or just here in wyoming? I now have to keep my reciepts for weeks in case I have to show it to some bookeeper at the store. And yes I have to do this from time to time. So far I have always got this fixed but hell, it sure is a problem. And now we have to check our bank accounts online about every other day if not every day. I don't get gas at places that do this twice to me.
I feel for the people that live from paycheck to paycheck and have to pay overcharges on stuff because of things like this,and, they have the money in the bank.Somewhere.
Now,my question. I posed this to a buddy he said to run the debt card as a credit card and they will charge only the amount I spent. No funny movement of money or hassel. Is this possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 09:43 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
damn, I just drove through Wyoming on I-80 -- I better check my bank account! lol I always think it's a good idea to say credit though -- I don't know about your situation, but if you say debit, some places will charge you a fee of upwards of 2$ I believe (that's what I've been told anyway).

Old 01-06-2009, 03:11 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Oh man, never NEVER NEVER use a debit card. Some people have bad credit and don't have a choice. But if you do - get rid of them. It's like giving a business the combination to your personal bank account. There are so many negatives with using a debit over a credit card - overdrafts like you said, lack of consumer protection, lack of credit float benefit. Just throw them in the trash.

I have a credit card that, so the bank tells me, can also be used as a debit card. My answer to the bank - "what do you think I am stupid? this will never be used as a debit card".

Old 01-06-2009, 04:30 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
You should not use your debit card to make purchases! You risk getting your number stolen due to third party skimmers. It's much better to use a credit card.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:42 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Oh man, never NEVER NEVER use a debit card. Some people have bad credit and don't have a choice. But if you do - get rid of them. It's like giving a business the combination to your personal bank account. There are so many negatives with using a debit over a credit card - overdrafts like you said, lack of consumer protection, lack of credit float benefit. Just throw them in the trash.

I have a credit card that, so the bank tells me, can also be used as a debit card. My answer to the bank - "what do you think I am stupid? this will never be used as a debit card".
This depends entirely on the person. I want nothing to do with a credit card. I have only so much money and with a debit card cannot spend beyond that. I am careful about buying things, and have a trip to save up for as inspiration, but for me the temptation would be too much.

Some people are fine with credit cards. They can pay off the principal. They aren't going to end up with 100k into credit card debt. But anyone who is not disciplined enough to pay off purchases that month or the next, or at least pay off the full purchase in a reasonable time, should not use credit cards. Perhaps one with a low limit for an emergency which is kept for only emergencies but impuse buyers and credit cards are destined for disastor.

I buy a lot of stuff online but buy only from established companies and those who use paypal. At most places you swipe your card and pay with debit unless there is criminal fraud going on (like the gas station mentioned in this thread) there should be no access. If you don't want to use the card as a credit card at a store, go to an atm and get the cash.

The extra charges this poster has gotten should be reported to the state fraud division, especially as its happened more than once. Its not the normal way to do business and they are breaking the law.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:48 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Well I just got off the phone with a bookeeper at a Convience/Gas station,again. Again on our bank site they have overcharged my debt card and recharged my debt card. This has happened several time since this summer. I don't agree with when I fill with gas. They first charge $50.00 or $75.00 right off. No matter how much or little gas I get. Then a few hours or days they readjust my card to the origional purchase. BUT, for that time I have the money taken out of my checking account. Thankfully I don't run my account anywhere near the bottom. So this doesn't affect it. But when they don't readjust the origional 50 or 75 that is when I have to call to make them do it. Is this rampant or just here in wyoming? I now have to keep my reciepts for weeks in case I have to show it to some bookeeper at the store. And yes I have to do this from time to time. So far I have always got this fixed but hell, it sure is a problem. And now we have to check our bank accounts online about every other day if not every day. I don't get gas at places that do this twice to me.
I feel for the people that live from paycheck to paycheck and have to pay overcharges on stuff because of things like this,and, they have the money in the bank.Somewhere.
Now,my question. I posed this to a buddy he said to run the debt card as a credit card and they will charge only the amount I spent. No funny movement of money or hassel. Is this possible?
Unless its paying just a posted fee, this is illegal. They can charge the amount of the purchase plus the fee but no more. If they are either they are intentionally mischarging or they need to fix their equiptment. You should not be just reporting this to the bank but to state fraud/police if this is a pattern. This is not the normal way of doing busines.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:54 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,538,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
They first charge $50.00 or $75.00 right off. No matter how much or little gas I get. Then a few hours or days they readjust my card to the origional purchase. BUT, for that time I have the money taken out of my checking account.
I have a paypal debit/credit card where it takes it right from your paypal account. This happened to me once (I don't always check so maybe more times) to the amount of $100 dollars on a $10 gas purchase. I didn't know what the hell it was when I noticed it about 5 days later. I had to call them to get them to remove the hold on that $100. Annoying.

Not sure why it happened as I think I would have noticed it before but as far as I can remember I think it only happened that one time.

This would have been several months ago so I can't remember all the details but I think they said something about it being making sure the money was in the account. Don't quote me on that though. I was pissed though when I found out.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:00 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
I've never experienced any error in using my bank card, whether debit or credit, in all the years I've used it (not even in Wyoming when I passed through a couple of years ago on I80!).

I guess it makes sense to use it like a credit card, I know that fraud protection is much stronger that way. I've been using it as a debit card most places, simply because it's a bit quicker and easier for me than signing.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:17 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I've never experienced any error in using my bank card, whether debit or credit, in all the years I've used it (not even in Wyoming when I passed through a couple of years ago on I80!).

I guess it makes sense to use it like a credit card, I know that fraud protection is much stronger that way. I've been using it as a debit card most places, simply because it's a bit quicker and easier for me than signing.
I've never had any problems using mine either and I use it for just about every purchase I make since I seldom carry more than a few dollars in cash.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:19 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
This depends entirely on the person. I want nothing to do with a credit card. I have only so much money and with a debit card cannot spend beyond that.
You are better to use cash, in that case.

Using a debit card has many risks associated with it. Fraudsters have all kinds of ways of getting your debit card and pin numbers --- and they do it because they want cash.

You have a lot more protection with a credit card. It might be worth learning to control your spending!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics