U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 05:56 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,508,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
That's the way we felt in Knoxville -- recession proof. Then last week, Alcoa announced it was shutting down production in Alcoa, TN (just south of Knoxville), SeaRay closed its plant and Goody's went out of business, closing it's corporate offices and distribution center in Knoxville.
About 2,000 jobs gone like that. And Ruby Tuesday, headquartered near Alcoa, is in trouble.
With Univ. of Tennessee facing budget cutbacks and TVA in hot water over the ash sludge spill -- our "recession proof" big industries -- things aren't looking good.
I don't think the economy is even close to bottom yet.
A lot of people are still living in la-la land. As I said to my roommate tonight, wait till you start seeing your neighbors across the street lose their home or your best friend out of work because the boutique where she sells clothes and has worked for 15 years goes out of business.

Wait till you see vacancy signs in front of all the little mom and pop shops you used to frequent. Wait till the local mall starts to look like a ghost town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 06:57 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,248,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
A lot of people are still living in la-la land. As I said to my roommate tonight, wait till you start seeing your neighbors across the street lose their home or your best friend out of work because the boutique where she sells clothes and has worked for 15 years goes out of business.

Wait till you see vacancy signs in front of all the little mom and pop shops you used to frequent. Wait till the local mall starts to look like a ghost town.
Until earlier this year I lived in Riverside CA. It now has the highest unemployment rate in the nation, 8percent in September. In December the county laid of 25% of its employees. A friend of mine replied when I said I was glad that I moved a rather frustrated "Lucky You". Her son works in construction and he is working once in a while. Only because his wife works full time have they not yet lost their house.

When you begin to notice the stores you used to go to are gone, or the mall has a large store empty for two years, or the neighborhood is getting thinned out, or just count the for sale signs as you drive by you get some measuer of what this does to real people instead of statistics. The gang problem in the city has been getting worse as people lose their houses and they sit empty. The homeless population has grown. Rents shot up fast when people without houses could afford an apartment and keep their jobs.

Unfortunately, I think Riverside may be the future for a lot of places before this eventually starts to get better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or